Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Well, if you hate winter and are depressed you actually should try to engage in winter activities and get outside more. Believe it or not it actually works for some people. However, if you've tried to enjoy winter and failed, then you're part of the group that actually is unsuited to winter (the others just have a lifestyle problem). People should accept those results.
I can find parts to enjoy but it definitely will never be my favorite season. It's better finding pieces that are enjoyable rather than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 PM

477 posts, read 803,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
LMAO, yup huge fan. And totally puzzled as to why anyone would move to Canada. I live near Canada and love my Canadian neighbors. Did one grad degree with mostly Canadians, they were super nice. But good god they don't have a Florida to run to in winter. How do they survive?
Actually we do....believe it or not, shockingly Canadians visit Florida and some even live there

My parents are down there right now enjoying it....though not every day is warm even in Florida,
forecast high for Tampa next sunday is only 59F with a chilly low 39F

Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
I hate this winter. Its been ****e.

I want my greenland express not a ****ing ****ty easterly from flipping russia 2000 miles away.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
That's why I wish I was either at a lower altitude or not surrounded by a mass of water. Sun's too week to help us smash through this cold blast effectively, and the crummy arctic frigid waters around here mean spring is a prolonged, slightly subdued version of winter going on for months anyway.
What cold blast. Oh yeaa the one that only gave snow to people up at 400m. Some cold blast that was. It will be remembered as the great one that it was.

Lol artic my ass 7c waters. Um no?

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 AM

Get me to palm beach county anyday.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
Actually we do....believe it or not, shockingly Canadians visit Florida and some even live there

My parents are down there right now enjoying it....though not every day is warm even in Florida,
forecast high for Tampa next sunday is only 59F with a chilly low 39F

I'll take that weather! Today my high is 30, Tampa's is 79. My low is 14F, there's is 60F.

Man I shouldn't have looked at that.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,424,293 times
Well, heavy snow here. Interview today, now cancelled. Thanks you pathetic winter bull****.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,921 times
1-2 inches of misery today. Not enough to delay, just enough to last all day. Trying to see the good in the situation, so far the 7 day forecast doesn't go below 0F. The -20F nights were brutal. Especially since we didn't cancel or delay school. Two more months and I can start seeing some 40s and the occasional 50.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,388,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Well, heavy snow here. Interview today, now cancelled. Thanks you pathetic winter bull****.
Oh **** that is something to complain about. I can't be bothered with college rather waste my time on CD.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Quote:
Climate preference is different from depression, which does run in families. And is on my Grandma's side. Seasonal Affective Disorder is not just "boy I hate the cold". Its fighting tears everyday, not getting dressed or leaving the house unless I absolutely have to, crying for no reason, avoiding my friends and family. Its full on depression and it lifts every summer and comes back every January.
I know about winter S.A.D., and come to think of it depression does run in families. However, it is also related to climate preference. If short days and cold weather make you very depressed, chances are you're not going to like short days and cold weather. Also, it is common for people to have S.A.D. and hate the cold at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
My parents are down there right now enjoying it....though not every day is warm even in Florida, forecast high for Tampa next sunday is only 59F with a chilly low 39F
59/39F? In the middle of winter? From my point of view, that's very warm. Although, I typically judge weather by using a four-season baseline (like this climate), not a tropical baseline, and I suppose if you use 80F every day as your baseline it is chilly.

Quote:
LMAO, yup huge fan. And totally puzzled as to why anyone would move to Canada. I live near Canada and love my Canadian neighbors. Did one grad degree with mostly Canadians, they were super nice. But good god they don't have a Florida to run to in winter. How do they survive?
Presumably they move to Canada because they believe their life will be better in Canada than where they were previously. Also, there are many people who do not want to run to Florida in the winter. To them, the absence of warm-weather denizens that harp and whine about cold weather is a plus. I include myself among that group.

I also have similar misgivings about warm-winter climates - how do people get by without a nice cool-summer place or a ski resort to run to ? Cooler climates nearby are a plus, and that's the reason that most of my fictional tropical/subtropical climates have big mountain ranges nearby. In all seriousness, though, I do feel sorry for the cold-hating Canadians who have to go through immigration rigmarole to get to a warmer climate. There's a lot to be said for free migration, but that's another topic entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather