Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
40º subarctic? lol That would mean nearly all of Europe, almost all of the former USSR, northern third of United States (and of course all of Canada) are subarctic?? That's over a billion people, give or take.
Edit: that would mean well over half of Earth's surface is either arctic or subarctic.
I'd consider southern Ontario "practically" sub-Arctic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Past 3 weeks (including today) we've had highs in the upper 80's to low 90's. Even July which was below average was warm enough for any summer/water activity. So I'm not at all dissatisfied with this summer (cool as it may seem to you). Keep in mind that with high humidity (and sunlight) even high 70F temperatures feel hot (to most people).

40º subarctic? lol That would mean nearly all of Europe, almost all of the former USSR, northern third of United States (and of course all of Canada) are subarctic?? That's over a billion people, give or take.
Edit: that would mean well over half of Earth's surface is either arctic or subarctic.
The USSR, northern United States, certainly Canada and alot of Europe have winters which would give Pluto a run for its money.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I get a kick out of these posts! MrMarbles is right, I saw a comment somewhere that 70°F is cold, are you kidding me??? Its been in the high 60s, low 70's for a week and people go by walking or on their bikes heading for the beach, shorts, tank tops, swim suits, life in the midwest.

Saturday I went to a corn roast, even though we all knew it was going to be chilly later, no one was dressed in jeans/sweatshirts!

Last edited by susancruzs; 08-26-2009 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
I love the summers in Alaska; low temps and virtually no humdidity. The winters I could do without; long, dark, cold, snow, ice.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I love the summers in Alaska; low temps and virtually no humdidity. The winters I could do without; long, dark, cold, snow, ice.
but how long does the summer last there?>????

Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'd consider southern Ontario "practically" sub-Arctic.
According to Wikipedia, NYC has subtropical climate because even in January it is not cold enough to support a "persistent snow cover". Go figure. I guess everyone has their own definitions.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Hello..............I have avoided posting in here, because I didn't want to "jinx" the weather where I live!!!

Instead I "jinxed" it by posting in "what's the temp. where you live"!!!
It's been a summer that felt close to HE double hockey sticks!!! And I will not be posting in there until our weather starts cooling off.................which might be never!!!!

Thank goodness I got to spend most of August in Wa. state, where the weather was just perfect!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I get a kick out of these posts! MrMarbles is right, I saw a comment somewhere that 70°F is cold, are you kidding me??? Its been in the high 60s, low 70's for a week and people go by walking or on their bikes heading for the beach, shorts, tank tops, swim suits, life in the midwest.

Saturday I went to a corn roast, even though we all knew it was going to be chilly later, no one was dressed in jeans/sweatshirts!
In the shade and with a strong breeze I would agree.

Seriously though, now that I'm acclimatized to summer
from time-to-time I can feel cold when it's approaching 75 F or lower indoors,
though oddly I don't get cold with those temps as easy outside.
I think I expect comfort indoors, which is why I notice when it's too cool easier.

*In summer during daylight hours, there should be no reason to "need" long sleeves, weather-wise.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM

151 posts, read 270,454 times
Houston Weather sux! So hot!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
I just moved here and coming from a hot humid state, this is somehow a little cooler (came from Mississippi) than good ol Miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather