Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times

Advertisements

Lots of subtropical climates in Europe. Even Sochi, Russia is a good example of a sub-tropical climate in "continental" Europe - with the influence of a big inland sea.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes that is annoying. Its got to do with the ocean temperatures I think. Its always windy here aswell, I can remember alot of times last winter where we had a low humidity and a dew point of like -7c and when the sun went down we only reached like -1c because of the wind. Its like constant.

Although there are parts of ths UK that average lows of below 0c. We aren't always at 2-5c. Infact I would say that it is rare to get a low of 5c that is quite mild.
Not sure about ocean temps. Although they do make your climate warmer than might otherwise be expected, much of NZ gets the same average lows, with sea temps than are warmer 5-6 degrees warmer in winter. I think greater cloud cover would be the main reason. Less radiation frosts, but more severe when you do get them.

What sort winds do you mean?. I'm used to thinking of winter as a time of still nights, apart from fronts.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not sure about ocean temps. Although they do make your climate warmer than might otherwise be expected, much of NZ gets the same average lows, with sea temps than are warmer 5-6 degrees warmer in winter. I think greater cloud cover would be the main reason. Less radiation frosts, but more severe when you do get them.

What sort winds do you mean?. I'm used to thinking of winter as a time of still nights, apart from fronts.
The thing is New Zealand is higher and covers more land. But to be honest I do think the Wind is a major factor in our temperatures as it is often windy here quite often. As for cloud I think that would another major factor even stronger than the wind. But I often have nights with no wind or no cloud and then all of a sudden the wind picks up for some unknown reason.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The thing is New Zealand is higher and covers more land. But to be honest I do think the Wind is a major factor in our temperatures as it is often windy here quite often. As for cloud I think that would another major factor even stronger than the wind. But I often have nights with no wind or no cloud and then all of a sudden the wind picks up for some unknown reason.
NZ is bigger than the United Kingdom , but smaller than the British Isles. Also a lot further away from major land masses, so I don't think area would be the issue. It is higher, but most people live on the coast, or at low altitude. The main weather stations around here are by the beach, but records average lows typical of inland England. The mountains could provide a pool of cold air in some situations. Perhaps your winds are downslope winds.

What ratio of warm fronts to cold fronts to highs do you have there?. NZ has frequent highs that produce rapid cooling. Perhaps the UK spends more time under weak warm/cold systems without a clearing high? - similar to the weather here for the last 2 grey, soggy weeks.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-02-2012 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
NZ is bigger than the United Kingdom , but smaller than the British Isles. Also a lot further away from major land masses, so I don't think area would be the issue. It is higher, but most people live on the coast, or at low altitude. The main weather stations around here are by the beach, but records average lows typical of inland England. The mountains could provide a pool of cold air in some situations. Perhaps your winds are downslope winds.

What ratio of warm fronts to cold fronts to highs do you have there?. NZ has frequent highs that produce rapid cooling. Perhaps the UK spends more time under weak warm/cold systems without a clearing high?
Ok the thing is, New Zealand probably does get more High pressure systems than here. But High pressure systems are not rare here, the problem is they are usually maritime and bring alot of cloud i.e the azores high. Last winter we had a very strong azores high which resulted in very mild weather. To get sunshine out of a high pressure in the UK it needs to be an arctic one from Greenland or from mainland Europe. The thing is at my location if we get high pressure it is usually cloudy, most of the sunshine in my area comes from Northernly airstreams, that is why we had more extreme temperatures back in 2010 winter.

I think it is because New Zealand is on the west of the pacific ocean and the uk is on the east of the atlantic ocean. Usually being on the west of a continent means that you get alot of cloud for some reason.

I don't know where you would find that ratio so i'm not sure. It could be anyones guess but I would say that we would get more cold fronts than warm fronts here. They just aren't that cold for our latitude because the atlantic ocean always moderates them.

Isn't there a frequent high pressure system near new zealand called the australian high?

It looks as though the jetstream travels further south of newzeland so you would have less low pressure systems.
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-b...ZOOM=0&PERIOD=

Last edited by Mac15; 08-02-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 03:10 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
If Seoul is considered subtropical, why should NYC be an exception, even though it is hotter than Seoul every months

Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Buxton is not the coldest town in England.
Certainly a good contender considering it's the highest market town in the country. There are other high altitude towns that lack a weather station at all, or long-term weather data.

Malham, a village in the Yorkshire Dales, is pretty cool, average lows of 30.9F in the coldest month.

As Joe mentioned, cloud cover is responsible, these places are all very cloudy and probably have very little nights during the winter that are actually clear allowing the temperature to fall, not to mention they are rather windy and the high altitude means there's no cold air pooling.

One thing these locations do generally excel at though is snowfall.. snowfall in these areas is often extreme, sometimes exceeding 100cm in parts of the Pennines, and often lasts a long time, and the wind creates amazing drifts that last a lot longer than the snow cover itself. Sadly, very deep snow and long lasting snow isn't completely certain here either, which would explain the lack of ski resorts in England.. for winter sports fans, England is a massive disappointment, and for snow lovers in general, it's best avoided

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 08-02-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 03:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
If Seoul is considered subtropical, why should NYC be an exception, even though it is hotter than Seoul every months
Maybe neither should be considered subtropical then..

Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Certainly a good contender considering it's the highest market town in the country. There are other high altitude towns that lack a weather station at all, or long-term weather data.

Malham, a village in the Yorkshire Dales, is pretty cool, average lows of 30.9F in the coldest month.

As Joe mentioned, cloud cover is responsible, these places are all very cloudy and probably have very little nights during the winter that are actually clear allowing the temperature to fall, not to mention they are rather windy and the high altitude means there's no cold air pooling.

One thing these locations do generally excel at though is snowfall.. snowfall in these areas is often extreme, sometimes exceeding 100cm in parts of the Pennines, and often lasts a long time, and the wind creates amazing drifts that last a lot longer than the snow cover itself. Sadly, very deep snow and long lasting snow isn't completely certain here either, which would explain the lack of ski resorts in England.. for winter sports fans, England is a massive disappointment, and for snow lovers in general, it's best avoided
The best example of a colder town than Buxton (by some way) is Shap, Cumbria. That place has very cool nights all round the year and highs 1 degree colder than Buxton all year round.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "continental". The coast of Med France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia have some excellent sub-tropical climates. I think you mean northern Europe like Germany, Netherlands, Norway, UK, etc. and certainly not France or Spain, etc. Check out the averages for a place like Nice for January and you will see it is clearly subtropical, and has far, far better winters (if you like warmth)than similar latitude locations in N. America.

[+] Rate this post positively

MMM...Nice like Sotchi are protected from the Northern winds by a chain of mountains and are seaside ("riviera") towns. As soon as you drive a few doezns of miles inland in both cases, the climate changes and becomes clearly semi-continental. But agree, there are in southern Europe alog the Meditanean numerous zones and Islands (the Greek islands, Cyprius, coastal Sardinia and Corsica, Balearic islands) that can be considered subtropical, in a wider definition of what subtropical climates. Stricty subtropical in Europe in my book are the Canary islands and maybe Madeira and southern Azores (Sta Maria island)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather