Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Whether you want to acknowledge it or not - a proposal of marriage and an engagement ring are tradition in our culture. Just because a woman values that tradition does not mean that she is not in love. And just because a man values that tradition doesn't make him a pushover. My husband WANTS to make me happy. And I WANT to make my husband happy. He was so proud of the ring he bought me. It meant a lot to both of us. It was beautiful and we had taken the next step in spending the rest of our lives together.

As for being the woman in the relationship - there are some men on this board that obviously hate women so much because they want to be the woman. I don't know how much clearer I can get.
When You say be the woman are you admitting there are benefits to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
When You say be the woman are you admitting there are benefits to it?
Not exactly. There are benefits to being men and women. Some of the men on here want the benefits of being both and for the women to not have the benefits of either.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
My ring is a family heirloom and is worth more than our car (though the car was worth more than the ring when we bought it). If we had bought a ring (and yes I say we because we combined finances long ago) we would have spent about half of what my ring is worth. It's kind of odd to walk around with something more expensive than anything else I own on my hand, but anyone who says they mind the attention it gets would be a dirty liar. It's like getting complimented on your hair or your clothes -- it's nice.

As to those who would never waste so much money yada yada, I'm curious what kind of car you drive. A car is probably the most wasteful thing on which you can spend your money -- my ring is worth more than it was the day it was crafted 100 years ago. Your Explorer will be in a junkyard in less than two decades. This ring will be worn by my daughter someday.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
My ring is a family heirloom and is worth more than our car (though the car was worth more than the ring when we bought it). If we had bought a ring (and yes I say we because we combined finances long ago) we would have spent about half of what my ring is worth. It's kind of odd to walk around with something more expensive than anything else I own on my hand, but anyone who says they mind the attention it gets would be a dirty liar. It's like getting complimented on your hair or your clothes -- it's nice.

As to those who would never waste so much money yada yada, I'm curious what kind of car you drive. A car is probably the most wasteful thing on which you can spend your money -- my ring is worth more than it was the day it was crafted 100 years ago. Your Explorer will be in a junkyard in less than two decades. This ring will be worn by my daughter someday.
I sold my only vehicle so that I could better support the two of us. How much should I spend now?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
^You can spend whatever you can and want to spend. I feel like you missed my point -- you are under no obligation to spend a small fortune on a ring, but it's something you'll have for the rest of your life and beyond -- there shouldn't be guilt associated with spending money on it, and it's by no means a stupid purchase as some here have said.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
$406 total.

The original stone was mined by myself on a recreational trip. It was part of a parcel that I sent to Asia to have professionally cut, so it was about $6 to have it done. The ring settings was $350, and it cost $50 to have it professionally mounted. I could have done it myself, but it was easier to have them do it at the same time.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Yep, much better to have her start out with low expectations...

LMAO!!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,224 times
I didn't care if I got an engagement ring. But my husband was the old-fashioned type that had to follow the norm, so he got me one. However, it was only a $350 ring 1/4 carat solitaire. He was in the military, and broke, with no savings or credit, so he didn't really have a choice, and I don't really have any issues with it. I don't even wear it b/c it gets stuck in stuff; a wedding band is where it's at.

However, my husband DOES have a problem with the fact he got me a cheap ring. So, in the end, I say get her what you feel she deserves and wants, and what YOU want to give her, at the same time. It's not something worth going broke over though; and if your girlfriend is super demanding for something big and expensive, well... I hope you're prepared for a wife that will always be after your wallet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings