Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times

Advertisements

$350 in 1976. She's still wearing it too. I guess I got my monies worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You forgot another option for a very large group: they are pleased with the gift and accept it with thanks.
Pretty much every single one of my friends and family members would fall into that group. Myself included! Make that with tears, joy, thanks, love, etc.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,401 times
My budget is going to be just over a month's salary after taxes. If I could amass more I would but alas, these student loans aren't going to pay themselves!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Time for you to UPGRADE!!!
Husband or ring ???

Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 PM

297 posts, read 740,890 times
Cost is a secondary concern for me as opposed to the quality of the diamonds themselves. I originally thought about putting in a budget...but I felt like I was insulting our relationship by establishing one.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I like how you wrote that you would split the costs of dating ONCE YOU WERE SERIOUS. It doesn't take one date or two to get serious, does it?
Right, it didn't take one or two dates to become serious. I was working, he wasn't, so for the most part in the beginning either I paid or we split the cost (and sometimes he paid if it wasn't too expensive). Again, we are talking about pocket change. $4 for two italian ices, $10 for a bucket of balls at the driving range..etc. We didn't do anything that would break the bank.

Quote:
They do because it is acceptable. Imagine if men set limits on how fast the dishes should be ready, what is the minimum sex they can have a week, etc. Now that would be unnaceptable.
Well, there are "limits" in this house for chores. Dishes are done as they are made, laundry is done on a schedule, meals are prepared for mealtime..etc. Sex...well there are no complaints there. I guess I don't understand your point with the comments.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
$50, no I don't support the blood diamond or society's bullish*t.
Come sit by me. At my request, my other half stopped giving me diamond jewelry a few years ago.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
I paid $50,000 for her ring which is my entire savings, I love her and she wanted the most expensive ring so I got to make her happy and she is! Happy fiancee=Happy life!
Please tell me that you have a pre-nup stating that in the event of a divorce, you get that ring back.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Please tell me that you have a pre-nup stating that in the event of a divorce, you get that ring back.
It's not the ring he'll want back, it will be the ROCK!! She can keep the ring, it's only worth about $750.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,559,216 times
Quote:
Yup. Serious or not, men are usually the ones who take care of expenses and will spend thousands of dollars on the engagement ring and other things.

Like I said, there are exceptions. We can't deny that women are not known for spending money on men just like men do on women. How nice of you to start contributing on expenses since the very first date. What's your view on your engagement ring? Will you contribute or buy him what or rather spend all those thousands on each other?

I'm already married and I didn't get an engagement ring before the wedding. There was nothing I liked enough to justify spending the money on, and I wouldn't want something that costs thousands of dollars anyway. I'd rather put the money toward house improvements or a down payment, something more useful and practical. I wear a ring from his family that was given to me. It's 70 years old and very small and beautiful and absolutely perfect. I have no desire for an "upgrade" and would prefer he not buy me diamond jewelry.

I have a friend who has an expensive engagement ring. It was important to her that the diamond be conflict-free from Canada. She paid for half of it.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: fixed html tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings