Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 AM

395 posts, read 707,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How much did or would you spend on an engagement ring? Would you subscribe to the industry's propaganda about 3 months salary? How would you feel about someone who insisted on an expensive ($10k+) ring? Would it be a dealbreaker for you if someone placed a huge importance on the value of the ring that you give them? I would imagine that a woman who truly loved you would be happy no matter what you gave them - even if it was a cheap cubic zirc ring...
Even if you had a few million sitting in the vault I wouldn't buy a big ring or a ring at all. I would tell her that I would like to save money for a house and that I would like to sponsor a few children in the blood diamond zones of the world. I would then proceed to show her their pictures. I want to assess her value system.

If she still wants to get married, then I might get her something small.

After a year of being married and if she still thinks the gems will improve her quality of life I would buy her 1 karat vvs1 d color diamond earrings. I think earrings look way better than a ring in the long run and can be used in more situations. frees up one's hands.

I still prefer 24k gold to diamonds. Store value better.

Don't subscribe to industry norms, they are scam norms designed for the average sucker.

If she says she doesn't want to get married due to a lack of gems, then buy her a 1 year subscription to e-harmony and tell her 'bye bye'

But that' just me...I'm a tough nut to crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbrian View Post
Even if you had a few million sitting in the vault I wouldn't buy a big ring or a ring at all. I would tell her that I would like to save money for a house and that I would like to sponsor a few children in the blood diamond zones of the world. I would then proceed to show her their pictures. I want to assess her value system.

After a year of being married and if she still thinks the gems will improve her quality of life I would buy her 1 karat vvs1 d color diamond earrings. I think earrings look way better than a ring in the long run and can be used in more situations. frees up one's hands.

Don't subscribe to industry norms, they are scam norms designed for the average sucker.

If she says she doesn't want to get married due to a lack of gems, then buy her a 1 year subscription to e-harmony and tell her 'bye bye'

Please. Update us after you actually have a few million in the bank. then I want to hear the tune you're singing.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
Whatever she gets.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:17 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
My wifes engagement ring was my mothers old one that no longer fitted her and we didn't have the money to buy one. My wife still has it now even though we could have afforded to get another one years ago.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How much did or would you spend on an engagement ring? Would you subscribe to the industry's propaganda about 3 months salary? How would you feel about someone who insisted on an expensive ($10k+) ring? Would it be a dealbreaker for you if someone placed a huge importance on the value of the ring that you give them? I would imagine that a woman who truly loved you would be happy no matter what you gave them - even if it was a cheap cubic zirc ring...
My engagement ring was about $3500. I "picked it out" in the sense that I saw it online and showed it to my now husband before we were engaged. I didn't expect him to buy that ring; I wanted him to see the style I liked just as a guide. Jewelry is one thing that I LOVE, more than most people. I also make most of the jewelry I wear though.

I think how much you spend depends on what you can afford. My engagement ring didn't stretch my husband financially. I would have been uncomfortable if he had spent more and really uncomfortable if he bought a ring on credit or otherwise couldn't easily afford it.

At the end of the day, I don't think most women care about the cost of their ring. I think most care much more about the ring's style. I love art deco style rings; my sisters like simple solitaires. I think the whole 3 months' salary thing is ridiculous. I know guys who have spent that much, but it has always seemed nuts to me.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 AM

395 posts, read 707,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Please. Update us after you actually have a few million in the bank. then I want to hear the tune you're singing.
A few million is not much these days. I save 70% of what I make into investments and still have an excellent quality of life. I donate resources to help inner city youth who have been neglected by their family, friends and society. Have been fortunate enough to have an extremely high paying job. Have driven mercedes/bmw/audi/lexus, etc...but now prefer econo cars as I don't do much performance driving and those cars first quoted are typically overkill or status badges. Been there done that. Lived in big, small, new and old houses. It all makes no difference to me at this point. Like I said, been there done that and I'm in my mid 30's.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
A few million is not much these days. I save 70% of what I make into investments and still have an excellent quality of life. I donate resources to help inner city youth who have been neglected by their family, friends and society. Have been fortunate enough to have an extremely high paying job. Have driven mercedes/bmw/audi/lexus, etc...but now prefer econo cars as I don't do much performance driving and those cars first quoted are typically overkill or status badges. Been there done that. Lived in big, small, new and old houses. It all makes no difference to me at this point. Like I said, been there done that and I'm in my mid 30's.
Ok

Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:

Love isn't about playing games and testing someone. If you love someone enough to spend your life with them and propose marriage - you should be well past the point of game playing and testing them. If you truly loves someone - you will want to make that person happy. And if that person is the right person for you, what makes them happy will make you happy, too. Right now - despite all your charity talk and making the world a better place - you sound very self centered.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Love isn't about playing games and testing someone. If you love someone enough to spend your life with them and propose marriage - you should be well past the point of game playing and testing them. If you truly loves someone - you will want to make that person happy. And if that person is the right person for you, what makes them happy will make you happy, too. Right now - despite all your charity talk and making the world a better place - you sound very self centered.
I think you hit the nail on the head, Dewdrop93.

I could say all the same things that the other poster did about charity, living high on the hog, keeping life simple, blah, blah, blah. I still wanted an engagement ring though and, luckily, my husband was more than happy to buy one. The cost of the ring isn't the issue, it's that I wanted the symbol and, yes, I wanted to like the ring since it's something I wear every day.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
I'm too lazy to put much thought into it. I'd just have her pick it out and tell her to get the one she likes the most. Not look at the pricetag or diamond ct, etc.

I'm not materialistic enough to care about how much it costs. As long as she's happy with what she chooses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings