Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
My engagement ring was about $3500. I "picked it out" in the sense that I saw it online and showed it to my now husband before we were engaged. I didn't expect him to buy that ring; I wanted him to see the style I liked just as a guide. Jewelry is one thing that I LOVE, more than most people. I also make most of the jewelry I wear though.

I think how much you spend depends on what you can afford. My engagement ring didn't stretch my husband financially. I would have been uncomfortable if he had spent more and really uncomfortable if he bought a ring on credit or otherwise couldn't easily afford it.

At the end of the day, I don't think most women care about the cost of their ring. I think most care much more about the ring's style. I love art deco style rings; my sisters like simple solitaires. I think the whole 3 months' salary thing is ridiculous. I know guys who have spent that much, but it has always seemed nuts to me.
Same here. My husband asked me what I liked, which was a RB 6 prong solitaire. I knew where we (or rather he) stood financially, so when he asked me if I had a size (weight) in mind, I told him (2 - 3 carats.) He chose to do what he wished with that info. I will just say that when I mentioned the whole "2 months salary," he laughed in my face (my husband is pretty financially conservative. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Love isn't about playing games and testing someone. If you love someone enough to spend your life with them and propose marriage - you should be well past the point of game playing and testing them. If you truly loves someone - you will want to make that person happy. And if that person is the right person for you, what makes them happy will make you happy, too. Right now - despite all your charity talk and making the world a better place - you sound very self centered.
This! My husband was (still is) happy to make me happy within his means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,667,021 times
Don't know where everyone seems to think it's three months salery, I have always known it to be two months.

Even Wikipedia quotes De Beers saying it was two months. Use to be one month! I like that guideline, and that is my limit.

Quote:
The idea that a man should spend a significant fraction of his annual income for an engagement ring originated de novo from De Beers marketing materials in the early 20th century, in an effort to increase the sale of diamonds.[1] In the 1930s, they suggested that a man should spend the equivalent of one month's income in the engagement ring; later they suggested that he should spend two months' income on it.[1] In 2007, the average cost of an engagement ring in USA as reported by the industry was US$2,100.[11]

Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Don't know where everyone seems to think it's three months salery, I have always known it to be two months.

Even Wikipedia quotes De Beers saying it was two months. Use to be one month! I like that guideline, and that is my limit.
Are we talking two months salary before or after taxes? I don't really like that rule though. I personally would NOT be willing to spend two months of my salary (before or after taxes) on a piece of jewelry. I think a man should try to buy the best engagement ring he can comfortably afford, but it shouldn't put him in serious debt or cause him to go completely broke.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Maybe $500? Nothing more. If she insisted on something more expensive, well, toodle-oo... only an idiot (or someone well off) would spend thousands on a diamond ring. Diamonds aren't even that valuable, they're just insanely expensive because De Beers controls most of the world's diamond mines.

Two to three months salary? Insane! Let's say I make 50K a year... that'd be 8-12K bucks spent on a god damn ring. That's completely insane.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,667,021 times
^ I agree. Complete insanity. $3,000 tops I say. Depending on income. I think the one month salery is a good guideline actually.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Maybe $500? Nothing more. If she insisted on something more expensive, well, toodle-oo... only an idiot (or someone well off) would spend thousands on a diamond ring. Diamonds aren't even that valuable, they're just insanely expensive because De Beers controls most of the world's diamond mines.

Two to three months salary? Insane! Let's say I make 50K a year... that'd be 8-12K bucks spent on a god damn ring. That's completely insane.
I agree that 8-12K is a lot of money for a ring if you don't have much disposable income (you could buy a car for that amount), but you probably spent more than $500 for your computer and an engagement ring is a much more significant purchase, in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:21 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Yes, my laptop was pretty expensive but I think it's way more worth it. It increases my productivity, lets me be connected to, well, everything, and is basically an essential good in today's world (especially as a student).

A $2,000 ring is not inherently better than a $500 ring. It is prettier, it is bigger, but it is not better. They symbolize the exact same thing: your commitment to get married. Hell, considering what it symbolizes, it almost seems irresponsible to spend a ton on it if you can't really afford it. It says "Honey, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, so I spent a bunch of money on a rock. By the way, if any debt collectors call about my car loan, could you tell them I'm not available?"

Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
A $2,000 ring is not inherently better than a $500 ring. It is prettier, it is bigger, but it is not better. They symbolize the exact same thing: your commitment to get married. Hell, considering what it symbolizes, it almost seems irresponsible to spend a ton on it if you can't really afford it. It says "Honey, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, so I spent a bunch of money on a rock. By the way, if any debt collectors call about my car loan, could you tell them I'm not available?"
I agree that you should only spend what you can afford on an engagement ring. If $500 is the most you can afford for a ring, that is reasonable for you. However, if you were ABLE to afford a more expensive, higher quality ring, wouldn't you want your fiancee/wife to have the best ring that you could afford?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I agree that you should only spend what you can afford on an engagement ring. If $500 is the most you can afford for a ring, that is reasonable for you. However, if you were ABLE to afford a more expensive, higher quality ring, wouldn't you want your fiancee/wife to have the best ring that you could afford?
No....

I'm a lucky guy, Mrs Chow has simple tastes... she likes what she likes, doesn't matter the price.

Sometimes this can bite me though.......

Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. It comes down to setting aside a budget that works for the fiance or couple and being able to afford a specific price point doesn't mean one should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings