Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
They created that scam and not so long ago for men to get that expensive ring for their girl and as of recently they came up with the promise ring for young guys to buy for their girl. I wonder what's next.
Already been done...the "right hand diamond," which was marketed as something the "strong, independent single girl" could treat herself to...no man necessary. Because being gulled by the diamond industry is totally the sign of a "strong, independent single girl."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:53 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
If your girlfriend has a bad case of the gimmies, then you better either run, or get used to it. Real life is not a Hallmark card or a jewelry store ad.
Here's the thing. An engagement ring is a gift given by a man to woman he treasures which signifies that she is off limits to others. You should make it nice, but only according to what you can afford.
Personally, I never had an engagement ring with two husbands because we were poor. My second husband gave me a 2 carat diamond after 10 years, and I really treasure it.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Imagine if he had an expensive ring on his other hand or bracelet. Would the same rule apply to you where you would buy something more expensive than that?
Nope! Besides, it's not a "rule." My right hand diamond is nothing extravagant, but it should at least give him an idea of what kind of engagement ring I would like. If he had his heart set on a particular type of wedding band that was more than 1K, I might be willing to buy it for him.

Quote:
I guess it’s common for women to put price limits on their man and how much is the minimum they should spend on a woman’s ring.
Honestly, I'm not so concerned about the price or having a really large diamond. It wouldn't be difficult for ME to spend 2K on a ring, so I don't think that's very expensive at all to use as a baseline, and I know I could be happy with something around that price, so I definitely wouldn't feel the need to go over 5K.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,206 times
Quote:
Imagine if he had an expensive ring on his other hand or bracelet. Would the same rule apply to you where you would buy something more expensive than that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Nope!
I was expecting that answer.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:

I guess it’s common for women to put price limits on their man and how much is the minimum they should spend on a woman’s ring.
I didn't give him a price range. I just gave him a weight range.

I got a ring, he got a tractor. (ok, so maybe mine cost a little more, but that was his choice! )

Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I didn't give him a price range. I just gave him a weight range.

I got a ring, he got a tractor. (ok, so maybe mine cost a little more, but that was his choice! )
Id rather have a tractor.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,389 times
I think the whole idea of the expensive engagement ring is ridiculous. I didn't get one, still don't have one.
We will be married 25 years this November. He married a simple girl, we had a simple but beautiful wedding ceremony where we exchanged vows and simple gold bands that we bought in Mexico. I think he paid around $150 for both. They had our names engraved on the inside of them.
Now I wear a really pretty silver and CZ set that I bought for myself because my fingers got fatter He also had to get a new wedding band about 10 years ago for the same reason.
For our 25th we may splurge and get ourselves some new wedding bands
Heck I may even get a "new" engagement ring with CZ's of course.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
i haven't given this much thought. i'll probably give her whatever is left in the bottom of the cracker-jack box. For her sake hopefully it's a ring.

what is a good reason for spending money on a diamond ring?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what is a good reason for spending money on a diamond ring?
Because they aren't free.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
I spent $5,000 on our engagement ring, which was about 6 weeks salary for me at the time. If I had to do it again, I'd get a ring from Nexus Diamonds for less then $1,000 and never tell her they are imitation diamonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings