Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's where we always end up going around in circles in these threads. Yeah, there are a handful women who make outlandish demands about rings, but if there are no men willing and able to meet her demands, then she's going to end up disappointed. If a guy goes bankrupt trying to please her, then that's on him, really. But if a woman wants what she wants and he's happy to provide it, then what's the problem?

The problem is that some men will see a beautiful woman with another man, see a ring with a large diamond on her hand, assume that she's with the man only for his money, and eat themselves alive with lizard-brained envy because they can't "afford" her, themselves.

Bizarre, twisted, misogynistic thinking, but that's what drives a lot of the posts from a very vocal minority on this forum lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
See, I can agree with women whey they accuse their guy of being lazy because he doesn’t do house chores but she does. But how can women accuse men of being cheapskates when women are not known for spending money on their man like men do on them?

They ask for many things they are not willing to offer but they complain when a man does it to them.
The consensus here is that the amount of money spent on the ring is not important, with one or two exceptions. Being a cheapskate is in trying to pass off a cheap ring as something its not.

Honestly these days women spend as much on their man as a man would spend on a woman, with a few exceptions, of course.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How much did or would you spend on an engagement ring? Would you subscribe to the industry's propaganda about 3 months salary? How would you feel about someone who insisted on an expensive ($10k+) ring? Would it be a dealbreaker for you if someone placed a huge importance on the value of the ring that you give them? I would imagine that a woman who truly loved you would be happy no matter what you gave them - even if it was a cheap cubic zirc ring...

The rule of thumb is three months of your salary.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
DeBeers is a cartel (international conglomeration of companies) that came together in the late 1800s to conspire to fix the price of diamonds worldwide. Diamonds are not rare, but they are precious as a result of an excellent marketing campaign in the early 1900s. Basically they duped America into the diamond engagement ring craze.

DeBeers retail stores are few and far between, but in terms of distribution of diamonds they control basically all of it.

Not trying to really support calicali's points (I'm saving up for a ring myself) but he is accurate in this sense. Here's a very interesting article: HowStuffWorks "Diamond Marketing"

I'd recommend reading the entire article if you're interested, but I just linked the marketing portion. I'd also highly recommend the "Stuff You Should Know" podcast about diamonds. Very interesting.
I am aware of what DeBeers is and what they do as far as manufacturing diamonds throughout the industry. It's just ridiculous to think that a woman is going to get an engagement ring and say "Wait a minute, this was made by DeBeers wasn't it?" Which is basically what he's saying. There's plenty of nice and acceptable rings out there, regardless of the maker. He's also saying 'boo hoo' in general at the idea of having to buy an engagement ring. So I say to that, if he has such an issue with the 'engagement ring' being a part of the marriage process or whatever, then too bad. who cares how it came about? It is what it is. Either don't become a part of it or find a woman who doesn't want a ring and get tattooed rings or something like that.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
The rule of thumb is three months of your salary.
That's ridiculous to me. Someone who earns $1000 per month (after taxes?) is supposed to have $3000 to spend on a ring? I doubt it.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That's ridiculous to me. Someone who earns $1000 per month (after taxes?) is supposed to have $3000 to spend on a ring? I doubt it.

Hey, I didn't make that up! a 3K ring would be nice and sparkly though.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Hey, I didn't make that up! a 3K ring would be nice and sparkly though.
Yeah, I'd be happy with a 3K ring, but I could pay for that with one month's salary. I certainly couldn't afford to spend 3 months of my salary on a ring so I wouldn't expect a guy to do that either.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Honestly these days women spend as much on their man as a man would spend on a woman, with a few exceptions, of course.
Not sure about that unless they were married, living under his roof, or sharing a bank account. I do remember a woman around here shared that she paid for her guy’s expenses for a vacation. They were not married, living together, or sharing a bank account. And another female participant mentioned something about engagement watches for men. But there are exceptions of course.

Like I said, I agree with women when they complain that they do the house chores but their man doesn’t. But why can’t women have the same opinion when it comes to these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yeah, I'd be happy with a 3K ring, but I could pay for that with one month's salary. I certainly couldn't afford to spend 3 months of my salary on a ring so I wouldn't expect a guy to do that either.
Would you be willing to spend those amounts on a man or this more of a man's job with his woman?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Would you be willing to spend those amounts on a man or this more of a man's job with his woman?
Yes, I'd be willing to spend 3K on a very special, one time gift for a fiance/husband, but I don't feel the need to do it just to make things equal. In my past relationships, I did not receive expensive gifts and we would alternate who paid for dates. I don't feel like they contributed financially to the relationship any more than I did, so I'm not understanding why it's so unfair that it's traditional for the man to purchase the engagement ring. Women may like jewelry, but men like their women to look good, right?? If I were to add up all the money I spend on salon visits, hair, nails, makeup, clothing, lingerie, etc. in a year, it would be WAY more than some 3K engagement ring, so no, I really DON'T sympathize with men being responsible for this one-time SMALL purchase. Just buy what you can afford and GET OVER IT!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Not sure about that unless they were married, living under his roof, or sharing a bank account.

Oh, Im very sure of it. I see it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings