Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 PM

426 posts, read 792,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
a) if you address the invitation properly, you shouldn't need to include a note.

b) that sounds ok. I was picturing something else.

really? 3 or 4 posts is a volley? Obviously you are only looking for affirmation, not real answers. We don't know why a date wasn't invited for you. If you attitude in this thread is an indication of what you are like IRL, I have no doubt as to why the bride and groom don't keep in contact. If he is a real friend, ask him what's up. If he's not, forget it and move on. Posting here and making assumptions about what happened and why doesn't do you any good. The way you've talked about these people here, I don't know why you are even still dwelling on it. Move on.
2 decades of dwelling! One would have thought that he would have moved on since then!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,418,107 times
Quote:
No, it's not that great of a story. My theory is they'd seen your dates before and weren't impressed, and didn't want one there. What I can't figure out is why they asked you to be in the wedding in the first place.
You can put your theory where you want. Top 15 Law School student after Summa @um Laude in undergrad. Can you top that? Most of the women I dated in college had similar demographics. I was an A(-) student and "water seeks its own level."

Hisssssssssssssssss right back atcha.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
2 decades of dwelling! One would have thought that he would have moved on since then!
Hadn't discovered CDF back then, nor did it exist. Just thought I'd post it. It came to mind since I was browsing Facebook. Even my friend's wife has gotten homelier.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,678,767 times
Quote:
It has? I wouldn't know. Most weddings I've been to were several years ago.
Yeah, I still like them, but only the most formal wedding of the last six or so I've been to have had one. From both a budget and eco-friendly standpoint they're one of those easy things to dump.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM

426 posts, read 792,830 times
Quote:
It has? I wouldn't know. Most weddings I've been to were several years ago.
My invitations didn't come with the inner envelope. I thought it was odd, but didn't make fuss about it. We ordered ours on line, not sure if that made a difference.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,767,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I should track how many responses have been made by a handful of FEMALE posters on this stupid thread. It speaks volumes to how biotchy women can be when it comes to weddings and having to CONTROL every last God-damn thing. I learned the word Bridezilla here, a few days ago.
Rules? BFD. I'd pit a wedding against a basketball game anyday. I can't ever watch a game without seven-foot-tall players crying foul every five seconds because somebody touched them wrong.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Rules? BFD. I'd pit a wedding against a basketball game anyday. I can't ever watch a game without seven-foot-tall players crying foul every five seconds because somebody touched them wrong.
I took an Ethics course in college. The professor did not believe in "situational ethics." We were allowed to challenge her. I challenged her. Mind you, she still gave me an "A."

I believe in "situational ethics" then, and still do today.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:32 PM

22,648 posts, read 47,828,778 times
Quote:
Do you invite them as "Person" and Guest
No... "and Guest" is never to be used. A wedding is not to be a cheap date for you.

Quote:
do you differentiate as to whether or not there is a known significant other
IF there is a SO, they get their own invitation under their own name. If living together, they are both named on one invitation.

Quote:
do you allow all single invitees to bring a guest to make their "comfort level" at the event more equitable?
No. It is not about your comfort level.

Quote:
What IS wedding etiquette on this?
As stated above.

Quote:
Also, clarify if you are using the "reasonable person's" rule of thumb and/or a "cheap person's" rule of thumb.
Neither. I am using proper etiquette.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,408,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^If you want to invite a truly single person to bring a date (which is not required by etiquette, but is certainly nice if you can afford it) you can use the "and guest" on the envelope. Or you could just include a note letting them know they're welcome to bring a guest. But if they're in a relationship it's definitely appropriate to find out their SO's name -- facebook can be great way to do this for your younger friends!
"And guest" is NEVER correct if the person planning the wedding is following the rules of etiquette.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
Quote:
I admitted that many posts in advance of this one.

My attitude was "eff off" to you guys, especially after meeting the extended family. (Sorry, we need a "middle finger" icon). You're not my friends. They'll give their wedding a score of 97, instead of a 100. BFD.

I should track how many responses have been made by a handful of FEMALE posters on this stupid thread. It speaks volumes to how biotchy women can be when it comes to weddings and having to CONTROL every last God-damn thing. I learned the word Bridezilla here, a few days ago.
Actually - the one who is coming off biotchy is... well... you. You asked a question - you got answers - but they weren't the answers you were looking for. Then you admit to knowing that you made a faux pas - but that you did it on purpose. Like you said, your attitude was "eff off."

Quote:
Ok, people are going to get married and have a reception.

The church or chapel part generally doesn't change the cost much, but the type and size of the reception locale, along with the food and beverages that will be served will cause costs to change. Also, it may be likely that anywhere from 10% to 25% of the invitees will be single, especially if soon after high school or college.

Do you invite them as "Person" and Guest, do you differentiate as to whether or not there is a known significant other, or do you allow all single invitees to bring a guest to make their "comfort level" at the event more equitable?

What IS wedding etiquette on this? Also, clarify if you are using the "reasonable person's" rule of thumb and/or a "cheap person's" rule of thumb.
You clearly asked what the wedding etiquette was on this. We answered you. But you don't seem to like the answers. So you are throwing a hissy fit. Why did you start the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings