Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
When it comes time for you, may be you will understand, but until then I wish you and your "camAro" luck on all the hot dates you take out.
Correct now. This should tell you it was a couple of decades ago. I drive a mid-sized sedan now. I'm NOT cool, so I don't get HOT dates.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Let me ask you this - why didn't you just talk to the groom after you got the invitation? Why didn't you simply tell him that you were seeing someone seriously and wanted to bring her to the wedding? You keep saying how they done you wrong and you were getting back at them - which means you KNOW that you were doing something rude. If you KNOW that your date was not invited and that you were not supposed to enter "2" on the RSVP when you were the only one invited - why are you so surprised that everyone else is saying the same thing. If you didn't KNOW this - you wouldn't keep saying how they deserved it, how you were sticking it to them, etc. Why didn't you put your big boy pants on and just talk to the bride and groom like an adult?
I've already told you, for the umpteenth time:
1) met the MIL and SIL later, figured out the "deal," or wouldn't have accepted
2) they are not the kind of people you could talk to - the wife was an A student, my friend was a C student - he is dead weight - they would have complied, but the bride and MIL (SIL was too naive) would have held a grudge
3) the friendship was going to end anyway, either by my asking or by my being ticked at how they handled the invitations.

Correct: TWO wrongs don't make a right, but theirs was the far worse wrong. Also, for every action, there's a reaction.

I've been to at least a dozen weddings, either solo or with date, and they were fine. In fact, I've been given the "and guest" invite from people I knew even LESS.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've already told you, for the umpteenth time:
1) met the MIL and SIL later, figured out the "deal," or wouldn't have accepted
2) they are not the kind of people you could talk to - the wife was an A student, my friend was a C student - he is dead weight - they would have complied, but the bride and MIL (SIL was too naive) would have held a grudge
3) the friendship was going to end anyway, either by my asking or by my being ticked at how they handled the invitations.

Correct: TWO wrongs don't make a right, but theirs was the far worse wrong. Also, for every action, there's a reaction.

I've been to at least a dozen weddings, either solo or with date, and they were fine. In fact, I've been given the "and guest" invite from people I knew even LESS.
Yes - but you are asking if it was "right" for you to write in "2" when only your name was on the invitation. The answer is "no." You might feel you were justified in writing in 2 and would do it again - and that's fine. But it's still not correct etiquette.

Let me put it this way - if someone broke into your house and stole something - and instead of telling the police - you broke into their house and stole it back - you could still be arrested for breaking into their house.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yes - but you are asking if it was "right" for you to write in "2" when only your name was on the invitation. The answer is "no." You might feel you were justified in writing in 2 and would do it again - and that's fine. But it's still not correct etiquette.

Let me put it this way - if someone broke into your house and stole something - and instead of telling the police - you broke into their house and stole it back - you could still be arrested for breaking into their house.
They could have called the police in a swanky LA neighborhood and tell them I extorted an extra plate of Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Oh, brother, Michigan had a great law school. No interest? You seem indefatigable?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
They could have called the police in a swanky LA neighborhood and tell them I extorted an extra plate of Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Oh, brother, Michigan had a great law school. No interest? You seem indefatigable?
My point is that you KNOW what you did goes against proper etiquette - so why fight it?

The law quad is so beautiful that it almost made me consider law school - but I'm a singer.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
My point is that you KNOW what you did goes against proper etiquette - so why fight it?

The law quad is so beautiful that it almost made me consider law school - but I'm a singer.
I admitted that many posts in advance of this one.

My attitude was "eff off" to you guys, especially after meeting the extended family. (Sorry, we need a "middle finger" icon). You're not my friends. They'll give their wedding a score of 97, instead of a 100. BFD.

I should track how many responses have been made by a handful of FEMALE posters on this stupid thread. It speaks volumes to how biotchy women can be when it comes to weddings and having to CONTROL every last God-damn thing. I learned the word Bridezilla here, a few days ago.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
No. Do you have an issue with either

a) including a personal note of explanation in the formal invitation which is perfectly acceptable and quite traditional

or

b) Contacting a friend via facebook message to ask them if they are in a relationship or using their relationship status to ensure you're spelling their SO's name Sarah instead of Sara
a) if you address the invitation properly, you shouldn't need to include a note.

b) that sounds ok. I was picturing something else.

Quote:
It's just the "hisssssssssssssssssssssss" factor through this whole thread. I would have not complained, or even come up with this thread, if I was given the option to bring a date, like everyone else in the wedding party.

MIL = Ray Romano's TV mom 5x.

It's been a volley with Virgode, the bunny, aragx6, kibbiekat, for the most part.
really? 3 or 4 posts is a volley? Obviously you are only looking for affirmation, not real answers. We don't know why a date wasn't invited for you. If you attitude in this thread is an indication of what you are like IRL, I have no doubt as to why the bride and groom don't keep in contact. If he is a real friend, ask him what's up. If he's not, forget it and move on. Posting here and making assumptions about what happened and why doesn't do you any good. The way you've talked about these people here, I don't know why you are even still dwelling on it. Move on.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:33 PM

No, it's not that great of a story. My theory is they'd seen your dates before and weren't impressed, and didn't want one there. What I can't figure out is why they asked you to be in the wedding in the first place.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
It's really started to go out of fashion to use an inner envelope, which is the place traditionally appropriate for the "and guest" listing -- that's why I think a personal note might be the best way to go here. Many people discard the outer envelope immediately and the fear is they might miss that they're able to bring a date.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It's really started to go out of fashion to use an inner envelope, which is the place traditionally appropriate for the "and guest" listing -- that's why I think a personal note might be the best way to go here. Many people discard the outer envelope immediately and the fear is they might miss that they're able to bring a date.
It has? I wouldn't know. Most weddings I've been to were several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.