Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,904,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Sorry but it doesn't work like that. I want you guys to get the money you need, but if you don't have a plan that organizes the money that is needed then you probably won't get it.

And you saying that "you are too north" crap is really childish. The only political machine we have here in WV is the relationship between the University and the state house.
Coal companies and lobbyist who control the state dont care about the North. AS CT pointed out the North is rich in shale. Soon the north will be calling the shots and the funding will be based on need and population, and no longer go only to Charleston and the places Charleston likes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM

6,138 posts, read 9,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Coal companies and lobbyist who control the state dont care about the North. AS CT pointed out the North is rich in shale. Soon the north will be calling the shots and the funding will be based on need and population, and no longer go only to Charleston and the places Charleston likes.
You don't think that the "north" has lobbyist and coal companies? Consol Energy is a good example of special interest groups in WV that affect politics. Another may be West Virginia University!

And if Charleston didn't like Morgantown (which you've stated about a million times) then Morgatown wouldn't recieve more funding than any other city in WV.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You don't think that the "north" has lobbyist and coal companies? Consol Energy is a good example of special interest groups in WV that affect politics. Another may be West Virginia University!

And if Charleston didn't like Morgantown (which you've stated about a million times) then Morgatown wouldn't recieve more funding than any other city in WV.
It doesnt receive more funding than any other city in WV. It receives MUCH less. You keep counting university funding as funding for Morgantown. It isnt. They are separate entities. I know this is hard for you to grasp. Morgantown gets less than half of the funding it should be getting, and only a tenth of the income Morgantown gives to Charleston comes back to Morgantown, including WVU.

Also WVU doesnt really lobby so much as it ask Charleston for more funding, since it is extremely underfunded.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
It doesnt receive more funding than any other city in WV. It receives MUCH less. You keep counting university funding as funding for Morgantown. It isnt. They are separate entities. I know this is hard for you to grasp. Morgantown gets less than half of the funding it should be getting, and only a tenth of the income Morgantown gives to Charleston comes back to Morgantown, including WVU.

Also WVU doesnt really lobby so much as it ask Charleston for more funding, since it is extremely underfunded.
If WVU was underfunded it would look like state of glenville, not like what it has become. Second WVU should count in Morgantown's funding because the universtity is the biggest part of your community. When the college gets money, the money returns to the local citizens through economic development.

I love how you are still throwing out up factuale numbers like, less than 1/2 what it should get, and 1/10th of the income Mtown gives it gets back. You haven't provided facts to back this up. This is just made up!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
If WVU was underfunded it would look like state of glenville, not like what it has become. Second WVU should count in Morgantown's funding because the universtity is the biggest part of your community. When the college gets money, the money returns to the local citizens through economic development.

I love how you are still throwing out up factuale numbers like, less than 1/2 what it should get, and 1/10th of the income Mtown gives it gets back. You haven't provided facts to back this up. This is just made up!
No, WVU and Morgantown are seperate. Money to WVU goes to WVU, while money to Morgantown goes to Morgantown. Both are underfunded.

The state government and Charleston are also two separate entities, and shouldn't be lumped together. Money to Charleston goes to Charleston and money to the state government goes to Charleston. Both are overfunded.

Meanwhile Morgantown and WVU are underfunded. WVU is not going to use its funds to provide public goods and services to the people of Morgantown. You need to take a civics class chris to understand what the role of government is. A college is not responsible to the people of a city. I know you think WVU is paying police officers and building roads, but it isnt.

Also I love how you ignore my facts without any proof they are wrong. It is not my responsibility to disprove a positive.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,097,286 times
Quote:

WVU only gets 19% of its budget from state appropriations. Their employees pay almost that much in state taxes. Most of the funding comes from tuition and half as much comes from donations as comes from state appropriations.

In exchange for the modest state allotment, The University educates, by far, the most state resident full time college students. The University as an entity is drastically underfunded by the state considering it is the state's major, flagship doctoral level institution, and the city as an entity is largely ignored by state government. In both cases success have been attained in spite of state government rather than because of it. If we could ever get state government on our side, the sky would be the limit.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
No, WVU and Morgantown are seperate. Money to WVU goes to WVU, while money to Morgantown goes to Morgantown. Both are underfunded.

The state government and Charleston are also two separate entities, and shouldn't be lumped together. Money to Charleston goes to Charleston and money to the state government goes to Charleston. Both are overfunded.

Meanwhile Morgantown and WVU are underfunded. WVU is not going to use its funds to provide public goods and services to the people of Morgantown. You need to take a civics class chris to understand what the role of government is. A college is not responsible to the people of a city. I know you think WVU is paying police officers and building roads, but it isnt.

Also I love how you ignore my facts without any proof they are wrong. It is not my responsibility to disprove a positive.
Show me your facts and maybe your comments could hold ground.

When an institution like WVU is funded, its recourses become a stepping stone for the town. The infusion of students allows for economic growth, which in return brings in local tax revenue. The tax revenue is then supposed to reach the citizens. WVU isn't short for cash and neither Morgantown. The University is in bed with the state so I wouldn't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you.

Other examples include state parks, the state fair, and other colleges.

And by the way, my senior year in High School my civics class won a state championship in a constitutional debate progam called We The People. My class went to DC to represent the entire state. I think I know a little about the role of government in our country and state seeing how I've been nationally reconized in this field.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Show me your facts and maybe your comments could hold ground.

When an institution like WVU is funded, its recourses become a stepping stone for the town. The infusion of students allows for economic growth, which in return brings in local tax revenue. The tax revenue is then supposed to reach the citizens. WVU isn't short for cash and neither Morgantown. The University is in bed with the state so I wouldn't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you.

Other examples include state parks, the state fair, and other colleges.

And by the way, my senior year in High School my civics class won a state championship in a constitutional debate progam called We The People. My class went to DC to represent the entire state. I think I know a little about the role of government in our country and state seeing how I've been nationally reconized in this field.
WVU in bed with the state? LOL. 20% for a flagship institution. More like being screwed by the state. As CT pointed out for every dollar invested in WVU the states get it back plus some. For every dollar given to Charleston the state loses some, except for Charleston.

Both WVU and Morgantown are underfunded. That has been established. You are just too comfortable with the status quo. You are so pro-Charleston you dont care that it steals money from the rest of the state. It benefits your city so you dont care. I find this attitude despicable.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
WVU in bed with the state? LOL. 20% for a flagship institution. More like being screwed by the state. As CT pointed out for every dollar invested in WVU the states get it back plus some. For every dollar given to Charleston the state loses some, except for Charleston.

Both WVU and Morgantown are underfunded. That has been established. You are just too comfortable with the status quo. You are so pro-Charleston you dont care that it steals money from the rest of the state. It benefits your city so you dont care. I find this attitude despicable.
i wouldn't be comfortable if the state stole money from anybody! The truth is that it doesn't! 20% is alot of money, if they invested that much in my school we'd be a top teir school, but they don't! And if you don't think that WVU is a big part of our state gov, then why don't you make the trek down here and see for yourself! I bet over 50% of the politicos are WVU grads, and another 15% season ticket holders! LOL

Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
i wouldn't be comfortable if the state stole money from anybody! The truth is that it doesn't! 20% is alot of money, if they invested that much in my school we'd be a top teir school, but they don't! And if you don't think that WVU is a big part of our state gov, then why don't you make the trek down here and see for yourself! I bet over 50% of the politicos are WVU grads, and another 15% season ticket holders! LOL
WVU could be a top university if the state would actually invest in it, instead of throwing it scraps. WVU helps the state much more than the state helps it. Same cant be said of the government in Charleston. Chris I think your problem is lack of good higher level education. I think a few semesters at WVU could undo the brainwashing the state government has done to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia