Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,334,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Bad comparison. Charleston likes Charleston and Huntington, but not morgantown.
So sayeth you. This rhetoric is getting old, why dont you go outside and find something to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 10:04 AM

4,988 posts, read 8,996,077 times
Funny how my post about taxpayer funding was completely ignored by those whining that Mon County gets no funding and that Charleston hates them. Looking at infrastructure and higher ed funding for the next 5 years and economic funding from the aforementioned grants, Mon County will get more than twice the amount of taxpayer dollars that Cabell County will and about three times as much as Kanawha County. But yet, the whining continues.

Charleston hates you but yet you are the only ones to get over a billion dollars in taxpayer funds over a 5 year period. If only they hated everyone that much.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Compare Morgantown to other "major state school" cities and you will find that they get more than their share of funds.

Compare them to:
Athens, GA
Gainesville, FL
Charlottesville, VA

I'm not sure what these people want Morgantown to be.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
So sayeth you. This rhetoric is getting old, why dont you go outside and find something to do.
So sayeth reality. The truth hurts.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,997,827 times
and ignorance is bliss

Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
and ignorance is bliss
It is sad how ignorant some people are of the plight of ncwv.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
So sayeth reality. The truth hurts.
Since roads seem to be your main issue. Do us a favor, tell us how many cities who have their state's flagship state university reside in them, also have an interstate highway go through them.

Hint: the vast majority of them do not. So why shold Morgantown be any different? The fact that it even has an interstate highway "close" to it puts it ahead of a lot of them.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Since roads seem to be your main issue. Do us a favor, tell us how many cities who have their state's flagship state university reside in them, also have an interstate highway go through them.

Hint: the vast majority of them do not. So why shold Morgantown be any different? The fact that it even has an interstate highway "close" to it puts it ahead of a lot of them.
Im not saying Morgantown deserves a interstate because it has the university. It deserves it because it is the fastest growing city and metro in WV in terms of population and economy. On the national stage it is also growing fast in all areas mentioned. The interstate system isnt even close to Morgantown and the roads were made to serve Morgantown when it had half the population it had now. It is only a matter of time until Morgantown is the 3rd biggest city in WV, and I wouldnt be surprised if in 50 years it is the largest.

To answer your question.

Austin TX has 2 universities running through it.
Anchorage Alaska probably has one.
Not sure what is flagship school of California. All the UCLA schools probably have one.
I imagine Boulder Colorado is served by good infrastructure.
Hartford Conn.
DC
Not sure what Illinois flagship school is, but there are several big ones in Chicago.
Iowa City
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Baton Rouge
College Park
Amherst
Ann Arbor
Twin cities Minnesota
Lincoln
Columbia, Missouri
Nevada I believe it is either Reno or Las Vegas.
Camden
Albuquerque
NY dont even get me started on all the universities with good roads.
NC is a hard one but several cities with nice infrastructure.
Ohio same as NY and NC. Several nice schools with good roads. Not sure what is flagship.
Portland
Providence
Columbia SC
Knoxville
Salt Lake city
Richmond and NOVA areas for Virginia. Nice roads.
Madison

It is sometimes hard to pinpoint a flagship university for a state. California, NY, and NC for instance could have many universities you could point out as a flagship one. I still think my examples are good, although maybe I left out a few flagship schools with proper infrastructure, and added one or two that dont belong.

As you can see Morgantown belongs to a club that is pretty exclusive.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It is sometimes hard to pinpoint a flagship university for a state. California, NY, and NC for instance could have many universities you could point out as a flagship one. I still think my examples are good, although maybe I left out a few flagship schools with proper infrastructure, and added one or two that dont belong.

As you can see Morgantown belongs to a club that is pretty exclusive.
If you did a little more research, you would find it's not as exclusive as you may think.

It's not hard to pick out "LA, NYC, Chicago, DC", of course they have interstates.

Several on your list in fact DO NOT have interstates at all. And many you posted are just wrong (Kentucky and Virginia for instance)

Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
If you did a little more research, you would find it's not as exclusive as you may think.

It's not hard to pick out "LA, NYC, Chicago, DC", of course they have interstates.

Several on your list in fact DO NOT have interstates at all. And many you posted are just wrong (Kentucky and Virginia for instance)
Most on my list did have some interstates. I mentioned a few dont. They are the minority. I also said that I wasnt positive about every city containing a flagship school. I dont know the flagship institution of every state, nor do I wish to look them up. If you would be so kind I would gladly go through them.

You also ignored my point about Morgantown being much more than WVU. It is a biomedical, hitech, research, healthcare, finance, banking, industrial hub for the Northern part of the state, and in some areas the leader in the state. With the way things are going it will be the leader in all areas very soon. Since opportunity is so great people are coming here. That is why Morgantown deserves better infrastructure not because of WVU, although it is another factor that strengthens my argument.

My guess is you believe the infrastructure should go to the shrinking cities in central and southern wv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia