Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,052,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I agree. I'm not a fan of MTR at all because not only does it look bad, but through run-off it fills in the creeks and rivers as well. This raises the level of the bed and is a big part of why all of the flooding has increased in areas around where this happens.

When buildings roads though, the way that they are going to do this makes sense. When you have to tear down a mountain to build a road, why not let the coal company do it for you, they get the coal and you get a road bed.

If what you stated about the trees is true, why not sell them to logging companies and let the logging companies cut them down for them? Then they get used rather than wasted.
The practice should flat out be banned. If you have ever seen the disasters they create you just know how truly awful it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The US 35 project from Point Pleasant to I-64 is also needed. The original 35 is one of our state's worst and deadlist roads. The big trucks that travel it cause lots of traffic, and the growing Winfield area needed an access road to the interstate. That road will also allow more industry to grow along the Kanawha River and more suburban growth in towns like Winfield, Eleanor, and Buffalo.
Okay, they've built a big chunk of it already. How much industry has located along the Kanawha in view of this the the potential completion?

My point is, in reality roads should be build on the basis of demonstrated demand, not on the premise that demand might be created. The latter is a pie in the sky theory.
It seems the more roads Kanawha County gets, the more industry it loses. Just an observation based on having an ex wife from there and going there over a period of
45+ years.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:49 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
The King Coal Highways Project will probably never happen. Same as the Lincoln County Regional Airport, or the Huntington/Charleston Commuter Rail. These projects are all under the category of "ideas"

I do think that the I-73 concept is a must need for Southern WV. It would add so much needed stability to the coal fields, and likely enhance the quality of life there.

The US 35 project from Point Pleasant to I-64 is also needed. The original 35 is one of our state's worst and deadlist roads. The big trucks that travel it cause lots of traffic, and the growing Winfield area needed an access road to the interstate. That road will also allow more industry to grow along the Kanawha River and more suburban growth in towns like Winfield, Eleanor, and Buffalo.

The Mon/Fayatte Expressway was nice, but not a big enough project to be a huge dent in funding. I'm probably one of the few that thinks the Fairmont connector was a good idea. It might not have been needed, but it will allow for downtown Fairmont to grow now.

Over all I think that any highway project is good for the state, and needs done. Look at all of our hills, we have so many that we need these roads to access areas quicker.
Yeah, Kanawa county needs more roads. The fact that it gets the majority isn't enough, and meanwhile Morgantown is in desperate need of roads and has been ignored for too long. We got 5 miles to PA which took over 10 years to build. It is too little too late. Southern wv and kanawa have more roads than they need. It won't stop all the industry and people relocating to mon county it probably won't even slow it down.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,117,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yeah, Kanawa county needs more roads. The fact that it gets the majority isn't enough, and meanwhile Morgantown is in desperate need of roads and has been ignored for too long. We got 5 miles to PA which took over 10 years to build. It is too little too late. Southern wv and kanawa have more roads than they need. It won't stop all the industry and people relocating to mon county it probably won't even slow it down.
none of the projects I listed were in Kanawha County, and I never said that is what Kanawha County needed! And you can't argue that roads are bad for our state's economy, because as a whole right now its hard to reach some areas of our state.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Okay, they've built a big chunk of it already. How much industry has located along the Kanawha in view of this the the potential completion?

My point is, in reality roads should be build on the basis of demonstrated demand, not on the premise that demand might be created. The latter is a pie in the sky theory.
It seems the more roads Kanawha County gets, the more industry it loses. Just an observation based on having an ex wife from there and going there over a period of
45+ years.
Small industry has grown off of the new road, and there has been several housing developments spring off of the road. There is even talk for a new business park/ shopping center right at the interchange with I-64. Putnam County's largest condo development has already been built as a result of the new road.

And again, the old 35 was a dangerous road, and needed upgrades to hold the truck traffic.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
none of the projects I listed were in Kanawha County, and I never said that is what Kanawha County needed! And you can't argue that roads are bad for our state's economy, because as a whole right now its hard to reach some areas of our state.
You are right. It is hard to access parts of Morgantown, and with a little more roads and infrastructure could become easier. It would be good for the state economy, but the morons in charleston are too shortsighted for this.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Small industry has grown off of the new road, and there has been several housing developments spring off of the road. There is even talk for a new business park/ shopping center right at the interchange with I-64. Putnam County's largest condo development has already been built as a result of the new road.

And again, the old 35 was a dangerous road, and needed upgrades to hold the truck traffic.
It's funny you mention that, because I remember reading an article about some small businesses that were harmed by the road because they were suddenly bypassed for traffic. Putnam County's largest condo development, huh? And, built because of the road? Interesting. I assume people live there, and you're suggesting they would be living someplace else were it not for the road? Where did they relocate from, Charleston?

If you're talking about the kind of expenditure building a road like that would involve, you'd need to have a lot more business spring up from it than a few chain restaurants and mom and pop stores replacing the ones the road bypasses to make it worthwhile. Meanwhile, we have trouble driving around our thriving, growing city because of state government neglect.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You are right. It is hard to access parts of Morgantown, and with a little more roads and infrastructure could become easier. It would be good for the state economy, but the morons in charleston are too shortsighted for this.
If they are too shortsighted then they wouldn't be building these roads. It takes "planning" instead of building because the damage has already been done. Both Charleston and Huntington were asked by the fed Gov if they wanted the interstate system going right through their towns. Huntington said no, while Charleston said yes, and as a result downtown Charleston boomed. If Morgantown would have planned ahead, then maybe they wouldn't be in this pickle. Now you all want money for roads, but there is nowhere to build them, and the mess is unfixable.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It's funny you mention that, because I remember reading an article about some small businesses that were harmed by the road because they were suddenly bypassed for traffic. Putnam County's largest condo development, huh? And, built because of the road? Interesting. I assume people live there, and you're suggesting they would be living someplace else were it not for the road? Where did they relocate from, Charleston?

If you're talking about the kind of expenditure building a road like that would involve, you'd need to have a lot more business spring up from it than a few chain restaurants and mom and pop stores replacing the ones the road bypasses to make it worthwhile. Meanwhile, we have trouble driving around our thriving, growing city because of state government neglect.
Let us not forget that US 35 is new. It has a lifetime to grow with the road.

As I said, it has seen growth along that corridor, and towns like Point Pleasant will now be easily reached and can grow too. Morgantown didn't plan ahead, while Charleston is planning ahead right now. If you wanted a four lane running through Mtown, you probably should have thought of that 40 years ago, when it might have been possible.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
If they are too shortsighted then they wouldn't be building these roads. It takes "planning" instead of building because the damage has already been done. Both Charleston and Huntington were asked by the fed Gov if they wanted the interstate system going right through their towns. Huntington said no, while Charleston said yes, and as a result downtown Charleston boomed. If Morgantown would have planned ahead, then maybe they wouldn't be in this pickle. Now you all want money for roads, but there is nowhere to build them, and the mess is unfixable.
Bad comparison. Charleston likes Charleston and Huntington, but not morgantown. So morgantown was never asked if we want the interstate to go through town. It wasn't even hinted at. Kinda hard to plan for something that isn't going to happen$ I guess they could have waited 100 years, and with Morgantown's growth rate they would be forced to act, but that would long term that no city in the nation makes. I admit at this point to build an interstate into downtown and suncrest would be hard, but not impossible. Land exist without demolishing too many structures. If they used eminent domain they could easily build one.

If charleston cared about the economic future of the whole state of wv they would develop morgantown. The rest of wv would reap almost as many benefits as morgantown, Especially the politicos in charleston, but they can't look more than 100 in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia