Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Please show me where I have taken shots and posted negatives about any other city,

Quote:
While I will agree with you that Morgantown would provided the most liberal atmpsphere in the state, I disagree that it provides the best all around of what the OP is looking for, unless a liberal atmosphere tops the list.
Now the OP listed several criteria. So the only thing Morgantown has going for it is a liberal atmosphere? You completely ignored all the criteria and just focused on the airport. I admit the Morgantown airport leaves a lot to be desired for. Im sure Huntington has a better airport, but when you consider that Morgantown is close to the Pittsburgh airport it kinda becomes a moot point. Morgantown doesnt need a big airport due to its proximity to Pittsburgh. If you dont have a car take a bus or hire a car to drive you up. The Pittsburgh-Morgantown MSA only needs 1 big airport.

So Tbailey if you want to promote Huntington im fine with that, but I dont see you needing to put down Morgantown to do so. By all means extoll Huntington, but don't say it is better/worse than any city because that will lead to a discussion of the pros/cons of both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Im not so sure Huntington is bigger than Morgantown. Morgantown has around 30,000 people plus another 30,000 students. Take this into account and I doubt Huntington has 5,000 more people. Im not even sure if Charleston has 5000 more people than Morgantown. Again the Morgantown-Pittsburgh metro area doesnt necessarily mean Morgantown is swallowed by Pittsburgh. Morgantown is far enough away not to be overshadowed by Pittsburgh, but still be part of the same MSA.

Keep in mind this is not a competition. The Charleston-Huntington MSA is the 3rd biggest in WV and has many great accomplishments.
Are you a product of WVU because your math is terrible.

Huntington city proper over ~50,000 + ~15,000 students = ~65,000
Total Huntington Metro ~286,000
Huntington, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charleston city proper ~52,000
Charleston Urban metro ~212,000
Total Charleston metro ~304,000
Charleston, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Total Charleston Huntington metro Population ~590,000 (pretty much is one metro anyway)

Morgantown city proper ~30,000 + ~30,000 students = ~60,000
Morgantown metro ~120,000
Morgantown, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clarksburg/Fairmont MSA Population ~150,000
Morgantown MSA Population ~115,000
West Virginia census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Total Morgantown/Fairmont/Clarksburg Metro Population = ~256,000

590,000 > 256,000 and in fact is almost twice the size of your total MSA. Both Charleston and Huntington alone are larger than the combination of Clarksburg, Fairmont, and Morgantown at their best.

Almost 600,000 people live in the Charleston/Huntington area, which is a third of the total state population. Even with the Eastern Panhandle growing at a fast rate, it still doesn't amount to the Metro Valley because its growth is part of the DC Metro and not its own stat. Same as you trying to put Morgantown in with Pittburgh, you'd just be saying that Morgantown needs Pittsburgh for growth when that is not the case at all.

Point is:

Huntington has 5,000 more people then Morgantown counting students. Without (which should be the case) there is 20,000 more!

And of course with city proper Charleston is still our state's largest city. And that doesn't appear to change due to the population increase in the past two years and the economy here on an upswing.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 09-02-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

Huntington city proper over ~50,000 + ~15,000 students = ~65,000
Total Huntington Metro ~286,000
Huntington, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charleston city proper ~52,000
Charleston Urban metro ~212,000
Total Charleston metro ~304,000
Charleston, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Total Charleston Huntington metro Population ~590,000 (pretty much is one metro anyway)

Morgantown city proper ~30,000 + ~30,000 students = ~60,000
Morgantown metro ~120,000
Morgantown, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clarksburg/Fairmont MSA Population ~150,000
Morgantown MSA Population ~115,000
West Virginia census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Total Morgantown/Fairmont/Clarksburg Metro Population = ~256,000

590,000 > 256,000 and in fact is almost twice the size of your total MSA. Both Charleston and Huntington alone are larger than the combination of Clarksburg, Fairmont, and Morgantown at their best.

Almost 600,000 people live in the Charleston/Huntington area, which is a third of the total state population. Even with the Eastern Panhandle growing at a fast rate, it still doesn't amount to the Metro Valley because its growth is part of the DC Metro and not its own stat. Same as you trying to put Morgantown in with Pittburgh, you'd just be saying that Morgantown needs Pittsburgh for growth when that is not the case at all.

Point is:

Huntington has 5,000 more people then Morgantown counting students. Without (which should be the case) there is 20,000 more!

And of course with city proper Charleston is still our state's largest city. And that doesn't appear to change due to the population increase in the past two years and the economy here on an upswing.
Good point chris. Huntington is bigger than charleston with the students. From now on I will refer to charleston as the 3rd biggest city in the state. Marshall is known as a commuter college a good number of the students commute from the huntington area and don't live in huntington so you can't double count them into the population. For sure a few hundred wvu students come from morgantown and they shouldn't be double counted but the vast majority of morgantown students live in the morgantown area.

I'm sorry but huntington is not bigger than the morgan-pittsburgh msa.

I apologize to you and tbailey about the mixup between charleston and huntington in population size.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
Huntington's urbanized area covers counties in Kentucky and Ohio and is somewhat spread out. Ashland, KY and Ironton, OH are in Huntington's urban area, but both cities are atleast 20 minutes away from Huntington. It seems smaller than what the population indicates.

Morgantown itself is more compact (there are rural areas of the city, but it's land owned by WVU and some unpopulated areas home to a golf course and a shopping plaza) and the urbanized area is close by and in the same state. Morgantown seems larger than what the population indicates.

Although Charleston is not being discussed, that city seems bigger than what the population indicates too because its urban area is relatively close by (with the expection of the communties near the WV Turnpike) and the large buildings downtown.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 24,117 times
Doesn't sound like you're hurtin for cash with all the properties that you own, guess you could live anywhere you wanted too. Personally I have a nice trailer on a hillside with a great view of the woods, that's all I need.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Good point chris. Huntington is bigger than charleston with the students. From now on I will refer to charleston as the 3rd biggest city in the state. Marshall is known as a commuter college a good number of the students commute from the huntington area and don't live in huntington so you can't double count them into the population. For sure a few hundred wvu students come from morgantown and they shouldn't be double counted but the vast majority of morgantown students live in the morgantown area.

I'm sorry but huntington is not bigger than the morgan-pittsburgh msa.

I apologize to you and tbailey about the mixup between charleston and huntington in population size.
Students are not counted, so that still means both Charleston and Huntington have larger populations. And I'm sorry, but Morgantown only has 29,000 people, and a metro of 120,000. Charleston and Huntington both are not only real urban centers, but have urban populations of over 200,000, plus each over 300,000 total metro.

And for another time the "Morgan-Pittsburgh" MAS isn't a real stat, and why would you want it to be? and again, the Charleston/Huntington metro has 600,000 people! Morgantown/Clarksburg/Fairmont has 260,000 (not even close)

Plus both Charleston and Huntington are "real" cities, while MorganTOWN is only a "town"

Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 19,870 times
okay, the gig is up. Nobody is moving to wv, lol!! Soon another out of the blue question will be posted. Then everyone can go there and debate the same pathetic town qualities all over again. Stay tuned!!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:33 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Next eternal debate question: Would you rather live in Mobley or Frost?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Students are not counted, so that still means both Charleston and Huntington have larger populations. And I'm sorry, but Morgantown only has 29,000 people, and a metro of 120,000. Charleston and Huntington both are not only real urban centers, but have urban populations of over 200,000, plus each over 300,000 total metro.

And for another time the "Morgan-Pittsburgh" MAS isn't a real stat, and why would you want it to be? and again, the Charleston/Huntington metro has 600,000 people! Morgantown/Clarksburg/Fairmont has 260,000 (not even close)

Plus both Charleston and Huntington are "real" cities, while MorganTOWN is only a "town"
Chris if you are going by arbitrary statistics determined by the government than Charleston and Huntington are bigger. If you want to actually include the number of people residing in the city at one time Morgantown is the biggest city in WV, and the 2nd biggest metro area in the state after Martinsburg. The Morgantown-Pittsburgh MSA has over 2 million people which is much bigger than the Charleston-Huntington metro area.

Let me give you an example. Lets say 20 million illegal immigrants settled in Morgantown, this is not a real situation just an example. Morgantown would now have 20 million people living in it, but because the government doesnt count them as living there since they are illegal the population would only be around 30,000. The fact that the government only recognizes 30,000 people doesnt change the fact that 20 million people are now living in the Morgantown area.

It is the same with the students. The vast majority actually live here. They have housing here. They buy things here. They drive on the roads here. With the number of people actually residing here from Fall to spring Morgantown has more people than any other city in WV. During the summer it is the 3rd biggest.

Chris I am willing to reach a compromise with you to put this matter to rest. One where we can both be right. I will cede that Charleston and Huntington are bigger than Morgantown when half of the people living here are excluded because of government rules for not including them in the statistics. In return you need to admit that Morgantown is the biggest city in WV, off the books, or that it has the most people actually residing in it 9 out of 12 months. We can then put this matter to rest for good.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 AM

389 posts, read 797,255 times
Quote:
Hey now! I hope you aren't directing that insult at WVU. You know they say if you can count to 8, you can go to State!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia