Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:53 AM

4,986 posts, read 8,992,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby00 View Post
Huntington's violent crime rate is almost twice that of Morgantown's (6.74 v. 3.58 per 1,000 residents).
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Not true if you look at the most recent stats from the FBI and the city police departments.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,893,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You need to follow your own advice and again, as I suggested before, do some research. The Huntington MSA extends over into both Ohio and Kentucky. MSAs are designated on how many people from the outlying counties travel to the main city of the MSA. They aren't based on politics or state boundaries but rather how many people travel to the main city of the MSA for work.

I encourage you to post good things on here about your city because that detracts from mine in no way and helps to build up the state as a whole. What I take issue with is you going out of your way to post negative info about Huntington because you thin k it will somehow sway someone to follow your advice, i.e. digging up a 3 year old article that has nothing to do with this topic. And Morgantown is not bigger, even with students as Huntington has students here as well plus we already have 20,000 more people to begin with. Huntington has great hospitals and they are better than all other hospitals in the state in many categories, as shown by links rather than solely using opinion.

Jealousy does not in any way define who I am. I'm happy with where I live and don't feel the need to diminish others to make myself feel better. Conversely, I won't let others needlessly diminish where I live with lies and half-truths either. Maybe if you would have a little respect for others and stop letting that along with arrogance, entitlement and being argumentative define who you are, you might find life will be a little better.

That's all I have to say on this matter as I won't let you highjack yet another thread by creating another multi-page argument. To the OP, if you would like any info on Huntington, I would be more than happy to help you.
The :Huntington msa is not bigger than the morgantown-pittsburgh msa, nor is huntington bigger than morgantown when you account for the whole population.

I'm sorry but that is what huntington is famous for. Its claim to fame is being the fattest city in america. That doesn't mean it is a terrible place just it is unhealthy. It is not the best thing to be famous for, but there is worse. Atleast it isn't known for crime or racism.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby00 View Post
I'm guessing Marshall will give WVU less of a challenge this year seeing as one of their players was arrested yesterday for a string of armed robberies in Huntington.
NEW INFO: MU Football Player Arrested in Armed Robberies Near Campus

Huntington's violent crime rate is almost twice that of Morgantown's (6.74 v. 3.58 per 1,000 residents).
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
It is.only 1 player. I wouldn't underestimate marshall. I ezpect wvu to win as thwy are the better team, but marshall is driven. They are not a rival to wvu but wvu is a rival to them and they really want to win. I'm sure they will eventually win a coal bowl so never write them off.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM

40 posts, read 104,940 times
I don't know if anybody mentioned it, but the eastern panhandle towns such as Shepherdstown and Harper's Ferry would probably be a good fit. The towns in this area are very close to good health care options at Valley Health in Winchester, Inova in Loudoun/Fair Oaks, and Reston hospital. A little farther drive can get you to Inova Fairfax and Johns Hopkins. You would be close to Dulles airport for any flying needs. Quite a bit of jobs in outer areas of the DC metro region as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM

389 posts, read 798,419 times
Yeah, the more I think about it, the Shepherdstown area might end up working out best for the OP. It would give them a milder climate, flatter terrain, and put them on the fringes of the DC metro, giving them relatively quick access to all the Northeast megalopolis has to offer. Shepherdstown is a great, quirky college town with a bustling main street and is convenient to DC edge cities like Hagerstown, Frederick, and Winchester (although not as convenient as HF or Charles Town).

In response to all the bickering, there's no need to belittle anyone's knowledge on anything. The "Pittsburgh-Morgantown metro" thing needs to stop. It's misinformation. Statistics concerning the Pittsburgh metropolitan area do not pertain to Morgantown and that's exactly the type of information people that visit this site in search of relocation advice look for. The MSA designation is flawed in that it must follow county lines. Point Marion is a part of the Pittsburgh metro because it is in Fayette County. Northern/northwestern Fayette County is fairly close to Pittsburgh and its immediate suburbs and has a lot of commuters headed in that direction. Southern Fayette is more like Greene County, which lies directly north of Morgantown and is not a part of the Pittsburgh MSA. They aren't afraid to stretch a metro area to the point where it takes hours to get from one end to the other, look at Jefferson County. If you look at Washington County, Maryland, it is about an hour and a half from DC in good conditions and has a growing and sizable commuter population to the I-270 corridor, yet it is still classified as it's own MSA and is only incorporated into the Washington-Baltimore CSA. I personally know some people who commute to Pittsburgh from Morgantown too, but the fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of people in this area work in North Central West Virginia, where they spend the majority of their time. As CT pointed out, it would make much more sense for the Morgantown metro, Fairmont micro, and Clarksburg micro to be combined. I also personally feel that Huntington and Charleston should either be in the same MSA or CSA, as it's not fair or accurate to include Putnam with Charleston and not Huntington.

While I'm not going to argue with the accuracy of statistics, I do feel that the media portrayed Huntington in an uncalled for, extremely negative light. Some of the news articles I've read sounded very condescending and read as if the people of Huntington were backwards, country hicks who had unchanging lifestyles (pertaining to food/exercise) because they hadn't come out of the holler long enough to know any better. Locals argued that these studies had seemingly skipped over the fact that the Y is constantly packed and there are always tons of people running in the parks.

"Pittsburgh airport > Huntington airport." Duh. But Tri-State Airport is IN Huntington. Pittsburgh airport is 80 miles from Morgantown.

When people inquire as to where to relocate on this forum, I tend to suggest Morgantown or somewhere in the EP. Those are the areas that I'm most familiar with. I suggest Morgantown as a great all-around town. I suggest the EP as a great suburban community with proximity to major metros. If someone were to inquire about Mineral County, I would have a lot of knowledge to share as I grew up across the river in Maryland, about 20 minutes from Keyser, Short Gap, and the like. If someone were to inquire about a small city with government jobs, I might suggest Charleston and back it up with what I could. Suggest the town that you feel best about recommending to any given OP. Others will do the same. There's no need to put down other people and the area they come from or act as if you know their hometown better than they do. That goes for everybody. All it does is brew argument. There's a poster on the Maryland forum from my hometown that will rip your argument to shreds if you so much as insinuate that you know Cumberland when you don't. Needless to say, it's not a common occurrence. I feel that this would be a much more productive and informative forum as a whole if everyone would just keep their mouths shut when it comes to their subjective feelings toward other places in the state.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
When people inquire as to where to relocate on this forum, I tend to suggest Morgantown or somewhere in the EP. Those are the areas that I'm most familiar with. I suggest Morgantown as a great all-around town. I suggest the EP as a great suburban community with proximity to major metros. If someone were to inquire about Mineral County, I would have a lot of knowledge to share as I grew up across the river in Maryland, about 20 minutes from Keyser, Short Gap, and the like. If someone were to inquire about a small city with government jobs, I might suggest Charleston and back it up with what I could. Suggest the town that you feel best about recommending to any given OP. Others will do the same. There's no need to put down other people and the area they come from or act as if you know their hometown better than they do. That goes for everybody. All it does is brew argument. There's a poster on the Maryland forum from my hometown that will rip your argument to shreds if you so much as insinuate that you know Cumberland when you don't. Needless to say, it's not a common occurrence. I feel that this would be a much more productive and informative forum as a whole if everyone would just keep their mouths shut when it comes to their subjective feelings toward other places in the state.
Great post. I would give you more reputation points but it won't let me. You add a lot to this forum and your respect of others opinions and other cities is appreciated.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Yeah, the more I think about it, the Shepherdstown area might end up working out best for the OP. It would give them a milder climate, flatter terrain, and put them on the fringes of the DC metro, giving them relatively quick access to all the Northeast megalopolis has to offer. Shepherdstown is a great, quirky college town with a bustling main street and is convenient to DC edge cities like Hagerstown, Frederick, and Winchester (although not as convenient as HF or Charles Town).

In response to all the bickering, there's no need to belittle anyone's knowledge on anything. The "Pittsburgh-Morgantown metro" thing needs to stop. It's misinformation. Statistics concerning the Pittsburgh metropolitan area do not pertain to Morgantown and that's exactly the type of information people that visit this site in search of relocation advice look for. The MSA designation is flawed in that it must follow county lines. Point Marion is a part of the Pittsburgh metro because it is in Fayette County. Northern/northwestern Fayette County is fairly close to Pittsburgh and its immediate suburbs and has a lot of commuters headed in that direction. Southern Fayette is more like Greene County, which lies directly north of Morgantown and is not a part of the Pittsburgh MSA. They aren't afraid to stretch a metro area to the point where it takes hours to get from one end to the other, look at Jefferson County. If you look at Washington County, Maryland, it is about an hour and a half from DC in good conditions and has a growing and sizable commuter population to the I-270 corridor, yet it is still classified as it's own MSA and is only incorporated into the Washington-Baltimore CSA. I personally know some people who commute to Pittsburgh from Morgantown too, but the fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of people in this area work in North Central West Virginia, where they spend the majority of their time. As CT pointed out, it would make much more sense for the Morgantown metro, Fairmont micro, and Clarksburg micro to be combined. I also personally feel that Huntington and Charleston should either be in the same MSA or CSA, as it's not fair or accurate to include Putnam with Charleston and not Huntington.

While I'm not going to argue with the accuracy of statistics, I do feel that the media portrayed Huntington in an uncalled for, extremely negative light. Some of the news articles I've read sounded very condescending and read as if the people of Huntington were backwards, country hicks who had unchanging lifestyles (pertaining to food/exercise) because they hadn't come out of the holler long enough to know any better. Locals argued that these studies had seemingly skipped over the fact that the Y is constantly packed and there are always tons of people running in the parks.

"Pittsburgh airport > Huntington airport." Duh. But Tri-State Airport is IN Huntington. Pittsburgh airport is 80 miles from Morgantown.

I like your post, but again I need to disagree. Morgantown should be included in the Pittsburgh MSA. If you lived in Westover Pittsburgh is literally an hour. From my house it is an hour 15. As you said the DC metro area stretches an hour and a half drive outside of DC. The Morgantown MSA and the Pittsburgh MSA merge to form the Morgantown-Pittsburgh MSA.

I agree that there is no reason to put down another city. The problem is Tbailey continually takes little shots at Morgantown whenever I say something positive about Morgantown. For instance if I say Morgantown is nice he would reply, "huntington is better." This has created a climate of hostility. He really has no right to throw stones at Morgantown, while living in the glass of Huntington. Im not real familiar with Huntington but it is considered the fattest and unhealthiest city in the USA. Google unhealthiest city or fattest city in the US and Huntington comes up. This is unfortunate but it is a fact. It is not a shot at Huntington nor is commenting on Detroit's unemployment rate a shot at Detroit. Both are unfortunate truths.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM

6,114 posts, read 9,157,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The :Huntington msa is not bigger than the morgantown-pittsburgh msa, nor is huntington bigger than morgantown when you account for the whole population.

I'm sorry but that is what huntington is famous for. Its claim to fame is being the fattest city in america. That doesn't mean it is a terrible place just it is unhealthy. It is not the best thing to be famous for, but there is worse. Atleast it isn't known for crime or racism.
Not only is there not a "Pittsburgh/Morgantown MAS", but if there were then morgantown wouldn't amount to anything. The difference is, that Huntington is the reason for its MSA, unlike Morgantown which would be a twig compared to the Pitt metro.

Morgantown only has 30,000 at best! The student population is made up of non citizens, and even if you would count them Huntington would have 5,000 more. And of course you forget that Huntington is more than just 50,000 people. There is around 300,000 people in its metro, and probably half of that are in its urban metro. Morgantown has a much smaller 'metro", if you could even call it that.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I agree that there is no reason to put down another city. The problem is Tbailey continually takes little shots at Morgantown whenever I say something positive about Morgantown. For instance if I say Morgantown is nice he would reply, "huntington is better."
Please show me where I have taken shots and posted negatives about any other city, starting with this thread. I do my best to avoid negative posts about other areas, even when others don't show the same respect. If negatives are to be thoroughly debated, I try to pull the discussion off of here and onto the private message feature. Just ask CT.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Not only is there not a "Pittsburgh/Morgantown MAS", but if there were then morgantown wouldn't amount to anything. The difference is, that Huntington is the reason for its MSA, unlike Morgantown which would be a twig compared to the Pitt metro.

Morgantown only has 30,000 at best! The student population is made up of non citizens, and even if you would count them Huntington would have 5,000 more. And of course you forget that Huntington is more than just 50,000 people. There is around 300,000 people in its metro, and probably half of that are in its urban metro. Morgantown has a much smaller 'metro", if you could even call it that.
Im not so sure Huntington is bigger than Morgantown. Morgantown has around 30,000 people plus another 30,000 students. Take this into account and I doubt Huntington has 5,000 more people. Im not even sure if Charleston has 5000 more people than Morgantown. Again the Morgantown-Pittsburgh metro area doesnt necessarily mean Morgantown is swallowed by Pittsburgh. Morgantown is far enough away not to be overshadowed by Pittsburgh, but still be part of the same MSA.

Keep in mind this is not a competition. The Charleston-Huntington MSA is the 3rd biggest in WV and has many great accomplishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia