Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 PM
x1x x1x started this thread

227 posts, read 805,841 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any low income rentals for Senior Citizens in West Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 03:02 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
Almost any small city has low income rentals for seniors. They are geared to a persons income and a certain percentage is taken out for rent.
A man who works for me recieves about $600 per month in SSI, plus a few dollars in food stamps. His rent is $91 per month... With the money he is able to earn in the 'cash economy' he lives pretty well...he is not a 'welfare bum' but a hard worker...His lack of education and the fact of a partial disability, and prison conviction will hold him in this position until he dies. He is working a system but he is doing it with the character and fortitude of providing for himself and not sponging...I see him going to work everyday on his bicycle, rain, snow or hot summer sun...In some ways, I wish I were him. Slave to a duty that I cannot comprehend or even want to understand.
The answer to your question is: yes.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 AM

DK Thank You!! Do you know where I can get some contact information about this service to senior's? And what is 'cash economy' ?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 AM

967 posts, read 2,996,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Almost any small city has low income rentals for seniors. They are geared to a persons income and a certain percentage is taken out for rent.
A man who works for me recieves about $600 per month in SSI, plus a few dollars in food stamps. His rent is $91 per month... With the money he is able to earn in the 'cash economy' he lives pretty well...he is not a 'welfare bum' but a hard worker...His lack of education and the fact of a partial disability, and prison conviction will hold him in this position until he dies. He is working a system but he is doing it with the character and fortitude of providing for himself and not sponging...I see him going to work everyday on his bicycle, rain, snow or hot summer sun...In some ways, I wish I were him. Slave to a duty that I cannot comprehend or even want to understand.
The answer to your question is: yes.
Good for him, he has got more moral fortitude that most. 99.9% of those in his situation would sit around and complain about how they aren't getting all that they deserve.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 AM

107 posts, read 361,275 times
There is actually alot coming to southern west virginia in that nature...The oldest hotel in hinton that is 8 stories is being renovated now by order of grant in colation with wv government to make it into senior housing..Right now they are in phase 1 of 3 phases to complete the project and will really be nice and efficent after completion

Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
x1x:
If a city has a web site give them an e-mail ro telephone call.
If that city has an office for employment or Dept of Health & Human Resources,
contact them...these are state run programs..
SSI is the federal brand of welfare service and many are taking those benefits.

The 'Cash Economy' is the vehicle poor West Virginians use to support themselves.
when everything is taken away and subsistence is the only means of support,
common sense and industry takes over. It might be a bartering of goods or
services like the pioneer days of the 1700's. West Virginian's 'Make Do".

The man I described is not ignorant, he is the victim of some bad choices made long ago. He is trapped now but won't be defeated. He is one of the very best ditch diggers I've ever seen, very precise in his work and does it quickly...What market exists for that work? None?
years ago I was sent to a job and the bank grade had caved in on over 60' of the rear foundation. The head manager came down an wanted a trac hoe with a 40' boom brought in to dig it out...I laughed at him and brought in Mr. X...he and two others excavated the mud and dirt to the footers in 4 days...saved me about $10,000.

They, men and women like him live on the strength of their backs and the sweat of their brow. The cash they
earn makes the difference in their survival. If any would take that opportunity away, I would hope God would reward them accordingly.
This 'Cash Economy' is necessary in West Virginia...as it carries a 3rd world status in many of its counties.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM

DK I do and completely understand that not all are what others make of them!!! My situation is that I'm retired and on a modest social security income, I own a small parcel of land in southern WV. and had planned on putting a small trailer on it, However after evaluating the whole situation, I have abandoned the thoughts of proceeding. At this time I am living at the mercy of a friend, There are places in the area that I'm at however there is a racial imbalance and high crime, and I'm not interested in living in a hostile situation. So my decision to come to WV is because I recently spent 6 months there and also having some WV blood in my veins, I decided I wanted to live there. so with making some bad decisions that has dampened my goal,s but not my spirit!!!! I shall pursue other means to meet my goal.... Thank You for your help..

Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_massie View Post
There is actually alot coming to southern west virginia in that nature...The oldest hotel in hinton that is 8 stories is being renovated now by order of grant in colation with wv government to make it into senior housing..Right now they are in phase 1 of 3 phases to complete the project and will really be nice and efficent after completion
Thank you for your information!!!! This sounds like what I'm looking for!!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM

169 posts, read 592,870 times
My older brother suggested that I might want to look into senior housing as well because I live on a fixed income also but, I don't think I would qualify at 52. I was forced to retire back in 2001 for medical reasons and am still trying to adjust living on $700 a month. I am fortunate that I own my home free and clear so, the battle is not so rough. I just couldn't imagine trying to pay rent while still paying the bills I pay now. I have worked steady since the age of 15 and never thought I would be in the position I am in today at such a young age. When I found out that I only qualified for $700 a month, I couldn't believe my ears. I was told with all the recent changes in Social Security, I am lucky to be receiving that?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:35 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,188,299 times
x1x when you say racial imbalance what excatley do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia