Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
x1x x1x started this thread

227 posts, read 806,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I dont know the number but you could also check into the City of Keyser [Keyser WV] Housing authority...4 yrs ago they remodled their apts.
Thank you Katie!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Here's a link to senior housing in Cabell County (Huntington area). It lists several different places so if you are considering this area to settle in, this should have most of the contacts you would be looking for. Hope this helps.
Tim

http://cabell.lib.wv.us/IR/profile_3856.htm
tbailey Thanks!!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Thanks to Everyone!!

I wish to thank all of you for your help and information about senior housing in WV. Your responses show that people in WV care and try to help everyone regardless of who you are!!!! This is the kind of place I am very Interested in spending my retirement years in.!!!!!

Again Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 06:38 AM

57 posts, read 155,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
My older brother suggested that I might want to look into senior housing as well because I live on a fixed income also but, I don't think I would qualify at 52. I was forced to retire back in 2001 for medical reasons and am still trying to adjust living on $700 a month. I am fortunate that I own my home free and clear so, the battle is not so rough. I just couldn't imagine trying to pay rent while still paying the bills I pay now. I have worked steady since the age of 15 and never thought I would be in the position I am in today at such a young age. When I found out that I only qualified for $700 a month, I couldn't believe my ears. I was told with all the recent changes in Social Security, I am lucky to be receiving that?
If your doctor recc it because of the disability, you could, probably. I am disabled but not so much that I can't get around. You can't go out without permission, you can't DRIVE from one. However, assisted living you can.
In WV they have COMMITTEE ON AGING> They can get someone to come to your home and help you for 2-5 hrs a day and even take you where you WANT to go, not just to drs. .. Movies, a ride, visits. They cook and clean and just sit and talk. A lifesaver if you are on SS, medicaid, medicare, etc.. They are truly lifesavers!! If you go into a nursing home, you would have to sell the home!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
Ladylinda this is NOT Assit housing. You can have transportation & can go where you please!! As long as you recieve a Dissability or Retirement check you can live in the elderly & handicapt apts. Otherwise non handicap single workers [men & women] live in the Family apts. And even if you are handicapt/retired you can choose any 1 bed apt famially or elderly/handicap!!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:49 AM

57 posts, read 155,364 times
You can't choose ANY apt., just those designated for low income housing.

I know in assisted living, it is a little less than a nursing Home, and a little more than HUD or gov assisted. For a low income family, they just might build you a house (HUD), but for single seniors, there is another program and I applied directly to the apt managers and they handled all the paper work. I waited only 2 mo to be called that there was a vacancy and I moved right in. (HUD is in Keyser for a house)
I lived in Romney, which has MANY apts for disabled, seniors with small income elders..I saw the ad in Hampshire review in one of those blocked/boxed ads in classified section. If you work, and make money,you may not be eligible. I just had/have dis. and ss or ssi, 2 cks amounting to 635 a mo. I lived in one of the gov assited apts, where they changed the rent everytime I got an increase in SS or it just went up anyway. I paid 80., then 95. , then 125.. The also counted that I had property in my name, until the div was final then the changed it again. I was supposed to tell them every penny I might have had coming in except Christmas or BD gifts from fam. I think I got 20 worth of FS that went up to 45 when I got the house out of my name. Had I taken the house or part of it, I would not have qualified, or I would have to wait until the money was spent from it then re-apply. I didn't take the house, but made him pay for my funerall plan which I had just started t pay on. He did. (It was his family home, I had no use for it or reasddon to rip it from him, when I had a short life expectancy.
These apts I lived in were all attached in a U shapes structure, with a laundry room and unused office in the bottom of the U. 5 apts on each side. There were wonderful. Planned space to make it just enough. I was happy there.
Then I got gravely ill and moved here in an apt in my sons, They do not help me here in MD. I could get 10 in FS but thought I would let them keep that for someone else.
For a disabled person WV fares much better in helping you. COmmittee on Aging in WV can do wonders to help. At least the woman I had did. Better places to get free or inexpensive food, she even helped make others help. Like i had a couch Ihad put on lay a way in a second hand store. Then the store would not deliver it. They said no help to load it. She called them and the couch arrived the same day. She paid the cost of the delivery and said she could get help to movev it. You will not find that in MD.

I worked under SS since I was 12. I owned my own biz 3 times in diff. areas. Then I damaged my back, found out I had the lung disease, in advanced stages (NO< I never smoked). Then couldn't get reg Soc Sec because the last 5 years I did niot have enough Quarted in. No JUST the last 5. I was applying for jhelp for the last three and had not worked in the 2 yrs before that. I worked hard all my life paying in. Just because someone is down and out Today, doesn't mean they didn't pay into the system!! I paid a heck of a lot in!! Maybe in July I can draw upon my usband's and get more, I don't know. Maybe, what, 20.00 more??
ANYWAY WV is better to find RENTAL assistance than MD. Just call reasl estate people till you find one who owns the apts or watch the paper, or go to a sen cit lunch (GREAT) and ask someone.
Using Freecycle.org, you can get anything you need free. from cat food to TVs and computers. In any state.
Now my health has improved about to normal and I may move back to Ham`pshire co. I am on o2 and have a few vert. crushed in my back. I may not move though I really want to, simply because the good health may be short lived. In MD, I get a helper/nurse? one hr a day, where in WV I had one 2-5 hrs a day.. Medicaid in WV paid almost 100% of everything I might have needed , maybe a co-pay of .50 for meds.
MD is the most confused health assis. program I have seen. First you have to choose which health plan you want, then choose a dr they will approve of, and that is tricky, because the book they give you has a lot of dead drs in it, and ones who no longer use that plan you chose. Then make sure your plan will cover meds that YOU need. I hate it. Also no more English speaking drs than WV and probably more no-english
WV takes care of it's own very well. MD, not so well.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Ladylinda this is about where the housing is.....If you know names & numbers for contact why not list them?

As for the rest I am glad you got such great care here in WV......but not all of us that need help do. I only only get help IF I want personal care which I dont need...what I need is some one to clean! Not Bathe me & as for moving Furniture forget it!! Needles to say I dont get any of that Free help....

Old 02-10-2008, 04:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,807,678 times
Quote:
Ladylinda this is about where the housing is.....If you know names & numbers for contact why not list them?

As for the rest I am glad you got such great care here in WV......but not all of us that need help do. I only only get help IF I want personal care which I dont need...what I need is some one to clean! Not Bathe me & as for moving Furniture forget it!! Needles to say I dont get any of that Free help....
she did answer, I guess you just didn't understand her answer. the answer is, depending on your needs, eligibility for programs might mean you can apply to any apartment if the landlord qualifies. Not just the senior apartment complexes people think about.
senior issues get very tangled to health/ability/mental status/income, and so solutions arent as straightfoward as yes and no. I've had a helluva time making sure my 86yr old granny is taken care of before I leave the state.

katie if you're having trouble managing things due to health, I think finding a senior patient advocate or a social worker would be in your best interest. They can evaluate your needs and give you advice catered to your specific situation. Ask your doc about an advocate, they can ususally hook you up with someone.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM

It also depends on the county you live in. With all the people moving into Berkeley & Jefferson co because they can commute to out of state jobs the really poor gets left out. Lots of programs have been cut. The adv household is so high in income tho there are lots of handicapt & elderly on fixed income they decide most of the programs are not needed. Things my mom got 10-15 yrs ago the programs just dont exist any more.. And as long as I want to and can bath myself then I dont get any household help. Even tho mopping & vacume has me in bed for a week & this is a small apt!! I have been everywhere for assit. even the VA Med Center!

If this sounds bitter it is but not directed personally at any one!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,807,678 times
Quote:
It also depends on the county you live in. With all the people moving into Berkeley & Jefferson co because they can commute to out of state jobs the really poor gets left out. Lots of programs have been cut. The adv household is so high in income tho there are lots of handicapt & elderly on fixed income they decide most of the programs are not needed. Things my mom got 10-15 yrs ago the programs just dont exist any more.. And as long as I want to and can bath myself then I dont get any household help. Even tho mopping & vacume has me in bed for a week & this is a small apt!! I have been everywhere for assit. even the VA Med Center!

If this sounds bitter it is but not directed personally at any one!
No offense taken. I'm a big fan of adaptive equipment that enables people to keep as independent as possible for as long as possible. Might be worth your while to save some peanuts to buy a roomba. Its a robotic vacuum cleaner that sells for about $200. scooba is the mopping version and sells for a bit more. You can stick with buying only one to do the whole apartment by putting down area carpeting on your bare floors, or removing the carpeting from the rest of the apartment (assuming its not wall to wall).
Personally speaking, katie, it makes me crazy when I feel helpless. My grandmother has struggled lots, (we're cut from the same cloth), having to swallow her pride giving up driving, having to hand over her checkbook for monthly balancing by the family, and especially losing her abilities. She just felt so humiliated, and her world just kept getting smaller and she'd get depressed about it. I could help her out only so far by setting up her regular bills on auto pay (memory loss), getting her prescriptions on automatic delivery (lack of transportation), and making sure her rent stays reasonable (keeping her bills down) by having all her medical expenses thoroughly documented for HUD assessment time of year.
The real help she gets with the blues comes from her fellow senior citizens, and keeping active with them. They understand her problems better than anyone else in the family because they're going through it right along with her. They look out for one another in the complex, share lots about how they found a way to adapt or resources they found. Seniors having a community with other seniors turns out to be the best medicine for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia