Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

If we are West Vorginians...we might be Rustians...or Rust-beltavians...I feel like I'm getting away from this geography quiz. We could elect GHO governor and he could solve the problem...whatever it was...it was the biggest land grab (mineral wealth) in the USA...still going on with the Marcellus Gas shale...every accessor and sheriff in the state is trying to get their hands on those mineral rights...as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
I'm GHO and I support this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I'm not from West Virginia, actually an honest native Nevadan, but my wife is a West By God Virginian. AsI write this she is back there visiting her "Pa"(her words, not mine) down round the Clarksburg area. I've been back there a time or two with her and really enjoyed the visits. Seems to me that folks there hold a great deal of pride in the specific areas of the state they hail from. My impression was that as far as cultural identity as a whole is considered most that I interacted with considered themselves more "Southern" than anything. Not in the unrepentant Confederate role, just down home , close knit , country like. Not unlike we "out West" people as they refered to me. I didn't feel one bit out of place in the time I was there. Gotta say that the state is beautiful. I couldn't handle the humidity very well (after a lifetime in the High Desert it would take more than a couple weeks to get used to). But I reckon if I was inclined to pull up stakes and move somewhwere WV would be at the top of the list. You'uns ( borrowing from my wife again) have every thing there we have out here in terms of what I like to do for fun and then some and the general outlook on life that REAL Nevadans have runs parallel or on top of the West Virginia way of looking at things. Prime example bein' "We don't much care how you do it in California"! Hope to get back out that way myself next Summer and do a motorcycle tour round the state. Don't think I've ever seen better bike roads and the scenery is wayyy to cool. So, whatever you consider yourselves (Southern, Appilachian, etc) all I can say is don't never change. It's fine the way it is.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
TY NV and when you head out this way, be sure to give us a shout and we'll tell you all the "not-to-miss" places to ride your bike.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm not from West Virginia, actually an honest native Nevadan, but my wife is a West By God Virginian. AsI write this she is back there visiting her "Pa"(her words, not mine) down round the Clarksburg area. I've been back there a time or two with her and really enjoyed the visits. Seems to me that folks there hold a great deal of pride in the specific areas of the state they hail from. My impression was that as far as cultural identity as a whole is considered most that I interacted with considered themselves more "Southern" than anything. Not in the unrepentant Confederate role, just down home , close knit , country like. Not unlike we "out West" people as they refered to me. I didn't feel one bit out of place in the time I was there. Gotta say that the state is beautiful. I couldn't handle the humidity very well (after a lifetime in the High Desert it would take more than a couple weeks to get used to). But I reckon if I was inclined to pull up stakes and move somewhwere WV would be at the top of the list. You'uns ( borrowing from my wife again) have every thing there we have out here in terms of what I like to do for fun and then some and the general outlook on life that REAL Nevadans have runs parallel or on top of the West Virginia way of looking at things. Prime example bein' "We don't much care how you do it in California"! Hope to get back out that way myself next Summer and do a motorcycle tour round the state. Don't think I've ever seen better bike roads and the scenery is wayyy to cool. So, whatever you consider yourselves (Southern, Appilachian, etc) all I can say is don't never change. It's fine the way it is.
NV plumber, where are you in NV? I've been in Las Vegas for most of the past 44 years, but I lived in Reno too. So since I've been here most of my life I guess I'm really more Nevadan than West Virginian, except once a hillbilly always a hillbilly. I was born and raised in Clarksburg and I think I could go back there to live if I wanted to without missing a beat. I think it's about a 50/50 split among Clarksburgians on whether we consider ourselves northern or southern. I assume from your "high Desert" statement that you're in northern Nevada? If I moved from Las Vegas, northern Nevada or New Mexico would be high on my list. Like you, I can't take the humidity of anywhere east of the Rockies, but I wish I had a place in West Virginia to go to several times a year and maybe stay for a month or two. As soon as I hit the Megabucks I probably will. Gotta live where I can watch my granddaughter grow up though.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Hey Buzz....yep I'm a fair piece north of Vegas. Bout 80 an hour and a half southeast of Reno. Town called Yerington. Used to be a real quiet area but it's been growing some over the last 20 years. A LOT of Bay area transplants and SO Cal malcontents trying to barge in and "make the valley a better place". But it's still a nice little town for the most part. I lived in Reno for 11 years. It was ok when I was single but I wouldn't want to raise my kids there...or in any other big city for that matter. I'm ranch life born and bred so I like the sticks. WV really appealed to the country boy in me. ..My in laws back there are wayyy nice folks and all the people I got to interact with were the same way. great huntin' and fishin' but the woods ain't really my element. Last trip back my wifes cousin was telling me about the brilliance of the WV Dept. of Wildlife. It seems the wild turkeys were getting to thick so some classroom educated bioligist geek came up with the exeptional plan to introduce predators to the ecosystem. And what predator you ask!? Why coyotes of course! What a bunch of morons! I couldn't believe my ears! So now of course the yotes are out of control. We have LOTS of experience with them critters here in the desert. There ain't no other animal out there ( I think) thats as adaptable and vicious as good ol' Wiley Coyote. Reckon if we do ever move there we won't have to give up varmint shooting as a pastime.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,593 times
Well, the woods in WV are unbelievably thick and dark, too, since sunlight can't get in there. I don't know about the coyotes, just lots of deer, fer sure. I'm not sure about the bear and mountain lion population at this altitude. My biggest fear is ten thousand jumping snapping hissing copperheads surrounding me the minute I step foot in there. So far all I've seen pop up though, are new housing developments.They clear out the center and leave the outer ring of woods, giving the illusion that you are in primitive mountains. Just when you think you are going to run into a bunch of moonshiners or something, you pop over a hill and, woo-la, a secret community . Could this be where the space ships are landing?? Or is that still north of Vegas??

Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
We now have coyotes...heard them yipping the other evening...bobcats...and I'm hearing that the panther or eastern mountain lion is back too, but not locally...

Up here in NCWV when we pop over a hill, all we see is a Super-Walmart..seems like they are everywhere now... and all the people inside look alike. Could they be the aliens you speak of?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
We now have coyotes...heard them yipping the other evening...bobcats...and I'm hearing that the panther or eastern mountain lion is back too, but not locally...

Up here in NCWV when we pop over a hill, all we see is a Super-Walmart..seems like they are everywhere now... and all the people inside look alike. Could they be the aliens you speak of?
Well..after a trip down the holler with one of my inlaws on my first visit to WV I was seein' all kinds of things...aliens of all shapes and sizes swingin; from the trees. Can still taste that shine. Remember a drive we took and I was smelling hickory smoke...made the comment that someone had a smokehouse goin' maybe doin' some of that famous ham. Got a look like I was from Mars and was gently informed that "Theys' cookin' shine". I got a real good education on WV life on that trip. Class was never so much fun! Watch out fer them aliens theys everwhere they is!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
I don't drink, but I've wanted taste some of that home made brew from the W,VA. hills I've always been hearing about. They say it'll knock you on your a$$!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia