Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times

Advertisements

Snorp you aren't kidding about mama and papa. Once had a case upstate NY where an eagle was tangled up in fishing line in a tree hanging over the water, which meant CG jurisdiction even though I was stupefied how that could possibly be my job that day. Being 20 something and immortal a plan sounded doable and we did it even if incontinence was a real possibility. These are fierce creatures not to be trifled with ever.
Similar near death experience for an iced over swan rendered helpless when he couldn't preen himself. Fishing lure through the bill, fishing line tangled around bill and neck about to choke him to death if he didn't calm down. Lured him into our boathouse and took crew of six to get it squared away. Word to the wise- sportsmen & women be kind to them and retrieve your gear whenever possible. Even if it isn't yours, know it's trouble if you see it around and pick it up.

Spideys got himself a meal so he's occupied for now. I guess that's the white blob on the bottom right screen. Flyboy looks hot and was panting. I checked to see how they got their water and apparently it's mostly from their diet. Ran across some awesome pics in my query and thought yall would appreciate these... Bald Eagle Done Cooling off and Drinking Leaves the River/Water @ Great Falls (1 of 2) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/-jon-/166741932/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
One of the notes at the site says the fledging date is about 11-12 weeks from hatching. I'd have to go back in the thread to see for sure, but I think Flyboy broke out of the shell around the middle of March, so we might have a month to go before he takes off.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,906 times
I swear I think I just saw him land, it was not one of the parents that I am sure of. He could have been flying from one side of the nest (bottom) to the othere (top) both feet were off the nest that part I am sure of.

Last edited by BJC; 05-15-2009 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: wanted to add more

Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,891 times
It's a true webcam now. As in, a spider has it's web almost dead center of the lens. At night, the spider and web glows bright white. Have to wait for daylight to see if the view is compromised. Papa or Mama need to munch on that spider!

Old 05-16-2009, 03:39 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,906 times
the spider web is cool, but Flyboy is way cooler! I hope the web does not interfer with watching him during the day

Old 05-16-2009, 09:09 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Daytime view is not compromised!
My grandson is here & this is "cool", to a 4 yr old!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Rainy day yesterday flyboy was perched on the edge most of the time. I didn't see him attempt to fly at all. He looked kind of mangey and grumpy- his feathers had that wet cat look. He spent most of the afternoon & night perched and finally hunkered down in the nest but spent that time preening until 3am when I stopped looking. Spidey's web got knocked down by the rain but he built a new one last night off to the right side of the screen. Doesn't cover the whole nest at least.

Woke up and saw this big pile of something- maybe it was a fish? Maybe mom and pop added to the nest with a branch with leaves? Didn't see when it came in and can't make it out completely. Guessing its a branch because it flutters in the breeze.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM

204 posts, read 418,143 times
Flyboy is now just sitting and resting,I don't think he cares much for this windy weather,can't blame him....I don't either!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,891 times
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Eagle Cam - MyOutdoorTV.com

I spotted him doing his pre-flight dance yesterday, but he stopped as soon as I was ready to grab a pic. He was lifting off about 4" from the nest. There was definitely a large amount of food in the nest. Maybe Ma and Pa are dropping hints.

Grabbed these shots last week, I suppose it was Flyboy that splattered the lens...

Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Flyboy update-- sometime after 1730, dad came to the nest with a fish and a new posture from baby came in effect. He jumped on his dinner, spread his wings and got very loud. It appears he's learned how to defend his dinner! Dad stood back, then went on the edge of the nest looking away. Stood there a bit, looked back, junior wouldn't let up on the noise, and dad flew away.

^5 dad. You schooled him! Let's get him a salmon for fathers day. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia