Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
For me the most negative thing in WV- absence of world class art museums. However we have Radio museum in Huntington , it has world class collection of radio equipment and run by volunteers. There are a lot of nice small museums but not world class one.
Al, there aren't any big cities in WV to support a large museum. You will see a very nice art museum in Morgantown in a year or so, but I don't think it will be confused with the Metropolitan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 01:18 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
I agree that having to be defensive about living in WV is the worst part of it. We lived there for several years due to work. When faced with the decision to move there, my original misconception was "backwards and behind the times." When we visited to make a decision, I saw that it is no different than any other state. There are busy areas, rural areas, etc. It is beautiful in WV and we didn't hesitate at that point to say yes to the move. As soon as we relocated there, we were faced with jokes from our hometown about losing our teeth and marrying our relatives. (For the record, I never met someone there with no teeth or that was married to a relative!) We were constantly defending WV and resenting it. We loved it while we lived there and were sad to leave the state. WV seems to create its own negative reputation and my experience is that it is not anything like other states picture WV to be. The residents need to work together to create a more positive image and show off their beautiful state.
Just based on your screen name, I assume you are from Pennsylvania.

I now live near Canonsburg, PA (Pittsburgh area) and I notice the same pessimistic attitude from native southwest Pennsylvanians. I'm not sure if you're originally from the western part of the state, but that part of PA faces some of the "Appalachian" stigma too.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:47 PM

208 posts, read 651,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Just based on your screen name, I assume you are from Pennsylvania.

I now live near Canonsburg, PA (Pittsburgh area) and I notice the same pessimistic attitude from native southwest Pennsylvanians. I'm not sure if you're originally from the western part of the state, but that part of PA faces some of the "Appalachian" stigma too.
No, I am from NEPA. I think that movies like Deliverance are also what hurts WV because that is what people think of when I tell them I lived in WV. Then I have to tell them that I loved it. It was beautiful and the people were no different than in PA, some good and some not so good. I was about an hour from DC and an hour from Baltimore, 17 minutes from the PA border, and 20 minutes from Winchester, VA. I loved the proximity to so much. Oh, and thanks WV for introducing me to the pepperoni roll!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,196 times
whoever posted that people from WV are ignorant, just showed their own ignorance. You have obviously never been to Indiana. My family came from WV in the mid 60's because of the work in the RV factories. It was very normal for anyone that worked in an RV factory or a factory making anything else for the RV industry made really good money.What I mean in really good money,is back in the 80's and 90's, the people would BRING home, $1,000 - $1,300 a week.Now with the economy our unemployment is at 18%.We are coming to WV (summersville,green bank area) first week of Nov, going to check out the job situation,housing, etc.because we want away from people. We live in a city that had 200,000 people and want the quiet, seclusion that WV has. My family originally from the Cedar Grove area and I have other family in Gilmer co, so we have options on where to relocate, I can't wait to get out of the miidwest personally.And to be honest,if anyone on this message board don't like living in WV, I will tell you what I tell all the illegal mexicans that live in my city, LEAVE!!!! instead of talking sh*t about the state,do something to make it better

Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spldcnd View Post
We start our trip soon for WV, next Sat. and hoping we will love it, and wondering what the negative of WV is?
The dining options in the mountain state are pretty bad. So bad that people who have committed their lives to the industry often have to look elsewhere for work, never to return. If it isn't a country kitchen or a chain restaurant the odds are it doesn't survive too long. Things are changing slowly in Charleston, but it will probably be another 20 years before the area catches up to other places in the variety and quality of dining options. Not many good cooks to be found in the homes of the area either. Too many family recipes that are casseroles with copious amounts of mayo in it.

A lot of backwards mentalities to be found from time to time. Not in terms of politics, but in how they view people who are different from themselves. I would not advocate living in WV for anyone who is gay. The locals aren't always homophobes, but they don't support equal rights for homosexuals. Still some areas where people would find having black or latino neighbors to be distasteful as well.

WVians cling to their cars as well. It floors family that I walk a few miles to work or school. Great restaurants close down in Charleston because they are located downtown and people don't want to walk a block or two from their cars. They'd rather fight over parking just as far away at Olive Garden at Corridor G. The downtown areas in most cities (excluding Morgantown and Charleston to some degree) are for the most part empty as people prefer driving to the local Walmart or mall to shop instead of frequenting their local businesses.

Otherwise the place is about as close to heaven as it gets. Beautiful landscapes, and fairly friendly people. Just too many backwards and wasteful mentalities for my liking.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 PM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
Tried to delete.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
The worst things.

Incompetent politicians
Special interest control the state
most people too apathetic to care
The hatred and negilect that the rest of the state has to NCWV which is keeping the state afloat.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
My parents were born and raised in WVA. I visited several times a yr. I've never met a person I didnt like, never met an unfriendly person any where there. Both my parents are gone now, so I'm headed to Charleston in July to look for a rental home. I have five kids and three grandkids. The two oldest have thir own family and kids, i still have a 19 yr old son, 9 yr old son and an 8 yr old daughter that live with me. My husband died last August and I have always wanted to move to WVA, the mountains are just beautiful, the people are friendly and the air is just smells so much sweeter then Michigan. i could always tell as soon as we crossed the WVA state line when I was kid, it just smelled like home! Im moving my family there before school starts if I can find a house big enough for us that I can afford. lol I want my kids to grow up there, to be a part of people who care and a place they will always want to be. Home! I have no negative feed back for any of WVA. Its my dream come true to move there and Im making it come true finely after all these yrs and even though family and friends keep saying I'll hate it and wont stay long, they have no idea how wrong they are. lmao Just like John Denver sang the song...Almost heaven West Virginia! I couldnt get any closer to heaven unless I were dead!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,068 times
Default Bears

First thing is Humans are not on any of these beautiful animals diet. all three are really omnivous., They have no natural predator, with one exception "Humans" These animals will naturally avoid us like we are the plauge. Humans have hunted these mammals to the brink of extinction, why because we think they are bad or some other dumb reasons. The best thing you can do for them and yourself is educate yourself. Igonore rumors and media hype, and do not listen to politians who want to eradicate and wild animal. A good place to start, but not the only one is The National Wildlife Federation.
Wildlife - National Wildlife Federation

Black Bear Genus: UrsusSpecies: americanus
Diet: American black bears are omnivorous, meaning they will eat a variety of things, including both plants and meat. Their diet includes insects, larvae, roots, berries, young plants, and, occasionally, fish and small mammals.
Threats: Humans are the most serious threat to black bears: indirectly through habitat loss and directly through vehicle collisions and poaching.
Status: The American black bear is classified as a species of least concern. However, the Louisiana black bear (Ursus americanus luteolus), one of 16 identified subspecies of the American black bear, is federally listed as threatened.

Grizzly Bear Genus: Ursus Species: arctos horriblis
Diet: Grizzly bears are omnivores. Their diet consists of both plant and animal food. The most commonly eaten plants are nuts, fruits, grasses, fungi, moss and roots. If grizzly bears are on the hunt, their prey can include fish, insects, mountain sheep, elk, and rodents.
Threats to Grizzly Bears: Habitat Loss, Overexploitation Human-Wildlife Conflicts
Grizzly bears are listed as Threatened in the continental United States under the Endangered Species Act.

Gray Wolf Genus:Canis Species: lupus
Diet:
Wolves are carnivores--they prefer to eat large hoofed mammals such as deer, elk, bison and moose. They also hunt smaller mammals such as beavers, rodents and hares. Adults can eat 20 pounds of meat in a single meal.
Threats to the Gray Wolf : Habitat Loss, Overexploitation Stupid Humans

Old 06-07-2012, 05:20 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Biggest negative: local governments that ensure the fulfillment of the WV stereotype. It seems that all governmental decisions are made to protect coal/gas rather than the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia