Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM

69 posts, read 190,916 times

Advertisements

We start our trip soon for WV, next Sat. and hoping we will love it, and wondering what the negative of WV is? From looking at the pics. I see the positive, It's beautiful down there !!! And I know the economy is not good, like every where else I'm sure. I'd love to here some feedback....And I have another ( prob. crazy question) are there alot of bears down there....any crazy stories??? Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,339 times
Lots of negatives in WV, but probably no more than anywhere else.

The bear population varies according to your location in WV. Here in the eastern panhandle we don't have near the population as elsewhere, but they have made a comeback. The first kill in Jefferson County after bear hunting was restored was taken in the hunt club I used to be a member of. But I've never seen one in Jefferson County, even hunting in the same area. But I've been much more up-close and personal with a bear than I wanted to be while boar hunting in Boone. She didn't take kindly to our pop-up camper location. Ruined an otherwise good hunting trip.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:32 PM

671 posts, read 1,053,648 times
The god-awful humidity. But maybe that's a southern problem.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,184,776 times
The negative stereotypes!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 33,300 times
I wouldn't say the Worst but the traffic in and around Charleston would probably rank pretty high up on the list. Especially the dreaded Dunbar Crawl.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Well, humidity, we have it here too, but maybe worse down there, traffic I can deal with, but really rather not, we want to find a place to call home in the country..We love the outdoor life, (hunting, fishing,camping, hiking) Kinda leaning toward northern or central WV. I've actually never saw a bear(except for zoos) was just wondering how common they are down there...hopefully I wouldn't freak out or something..lol..ahhh something you prob. just get use to. We've never been to WV, so I'm really looking forward to our first trip down there.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM

300 posts, read 818,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spldcnd View Post
....And I have another ( prob. crazy question) are there alot of bears down there
Define a lot.

Last I read there were an estimated 10,000 bears in the state. So with West Virginia having 24,231 square miles, that's roughly 1/2 bear for every square mile? Closest one to me that I know of is a couple of miles away, in South Charleston.

Last edited by red.ochre; 06-22-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM

246 posts, read 878,295 times
The folkways will take some getting used to. It takes awhile for people to get to know you.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,280,736 times
The shock you will see firsthand is the lack of roadways...aside from the few interstate links that were designed in the 1970's, our roads have not changed much since they were built after the turn of the century (20th). Some improvements have been forced up on them during the years, but all in all, many are the ancient indian pathways of long ago.

Other than the efforts of Senator RC Byrd, no single person or group of politicians have been that interested in making Wv accessible on the whole.

The economy in the upper half of Wv seems to be pretty good...can't be too bad all over, as our crooks at the capitol added 39 million to an already over bloated state budget..took care of everybodies pay raises for the term.

Want to make friends in a hurry...wear a Syracuse ballcap...Go BIG O!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:59 PM

That sounds like ALOT of bears...but suppose you leave them be and don't happen across mother and cub, they're prob. like any other animal in the wild...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia