Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
Who said you had to go to Harvard? Yale? Wellesley? Just go to freaking WVU or Marshall. Or Fairmont, or any other college in the state. Don't accept the attitude that education is something for them thar' leeeberals. Try it. You might learn something. You might learn there's a helluva lot more to life, than doing it the way your grandpappy did.

A large portion of the state, feels that education isn't something important, because "my granpappy didn't have no schoolin' and he did alright by workin' in the mines." Of course, he died at 64 of a respiratory illness, but he didn't have black lung, the company doctor told him so.

The justifiable reason I don't fit in, is I'm zillions of times smarter than 99.99% of the people here, because I simply got an education.

I completely agree with you! That last part is a little self righteous and arrogant and it IS going to be perceived badly by those who read it, I wish you wouldn't have thrown that in. But everything else is exactly right, and I agree with you. I wish education was something that was instilled in other young people throughout WV, and unfortunately those of us who then do get a university education often feel alienated or can't find jobs and we leave, further contributing to the problem of the brain drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 AM

175 posts, read 565,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post

The justifiable reason I don't fit in, is I'm zillions of times smarter than 99.99% of the people here, because I simply got an education.
Guess I must be part of that 99.99% 'cause I have no idea how much a zillion is....how many zeros and commas are in that number...what's the exponent??? I read last night that two Brazilian men fell off a bridge and drowned....is a Brazilian as much as a zillion??? We need more smart guys like you here to 'splain this stuff to us ignorant hillbillies!!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,188,084 times
RN, your comments just made me laugh, had to give you pts for it. I think I am in that 99.99% as well.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM

128 posts, read 443,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy View Post
Guess I must be part of that 99.99% 'cause I have no idea how much a zillion is....how many zeros and commas are in that number...what's the exponent??? I read last night that two Brazilian men fell off a bridge and drowned....is a Brazilian as much as a zillion??? We need more smart guys like you here to 'splain this stuff to us ignorant hillbillies!!
I'm glad you recognize your shortcomings. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I completely agree with you! That last part is a little self righteous and arrogant and it IS going to be perceived badly by those who read it, I wish you wouldn't have thrown that in. But everything else is exactly right, and I agree with you. I wish education was something that was instilled in other young people throughout WV, and unfortunately those of us who then do get a university education often feel alienated or can't find jobs and we leave, further contributing to the problem of the brain drain.
Don't worry about it. Quit making apologies for getting an education. I quit worrying about what the ingorant masses think, years ago. I actually pity them.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 PM

275 posts, read 707,894 times
I have lived here my entire life and have only seen 1 bear out in the wild (not at a zoo or park). Used to live in the eastern panhandle (that's where I saw a bear, near Davis, i believe) and now I am in the southern part.

I'd say one BIG negative would have to be the road conditions. Down here, the roads are terrible, pot holes, cracks, horrible on your shocks.

People have so many negative stereotypes of us, but I'm college educated, not on welfare, and don't drive a truck. I think anywhere you go there will be negative things. I go to KY all the time, OH also, and they are no different than we are.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:04 PM

69 posts, read 191,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
I have lived here my entire life and have only seen 1 bear out in the wild (not at a zoo or park). Used to live in the eastern panhandle (that's where I saw a bear, near Davis, i believe) and now I am in the southern part.

I'd say one BIG negative would have to be the road conditions. Down here, the roads are terrible, pot holes, cracks, horrible on your shocks.

People have so many negative stereotypes of us, but I'm college educated, not on welfare, and don't drive a truck. I think anywhere you go there will be negative things. I go to KY all the time, OH also, and they are no different than we are.

I agree with you where ever you go there is negative conditions,and it's always a good thing the positive out weigh the negative,I have told a few people now we'd like to move to WV and I haven't really had bad comments, I grew up in NE, where i had no negative comments from... all my kids are back in Vegas (where I lived 17 yrs. which I hated) are all for it.People in up-state NY the remarks we get are "we don't blame ya" So I'm very excited for our up coming visit leaving Sun. now, look at few houses Mon. and Tues.So if you all see NY plates that look like they may be lost be kind to us.. cos we prob. will be, especially if hubbys driving...r. we aren't all from NYC

Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Education is not always what it seems...having a scrap of paper from a 'Loon Institution has backfired several ways.

As a country, the educated Loons have been responsible for our present economy...but I really blame that on an inferior supply of Crack they recieved during the Clinton years...

In Wv, our own proginy, Heather B...and her faked Masters...didn't keep her from that 3.5 million dollar salary...and nobody mentioned the 'flap in California, where she was fined for faking a Bachelors...

If I had the means at my disposal, I would send a degree to every single person in Wv...that would change the data and make us number 1....

Where's the number for the University of Phoenix?

We shall rise from the ashes of the dirty coal our people mine....what's a job anyway? Obama is here to save us!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Education is not always what it seems...having a scrap of paper from a 'Loon Institution has backfired several ways.

As a country, the educated Loons have been responsible for our present economy...but I really blame that on an inferior supply of Crack they recieved during the Clinton years...

In Wv, our own proginy, Heather B...and her faked Masters...didn't keep her from that 3.5 million dollar salary...and nobody mentioned the 'flap in California, where she was fined for faking a Bachelors...

If I had the means at my disposal, I would send a degree to every single person in Wv...that would change the data and make us number 1....

Where's the number for the University of Phoenix?

We shall rise from the ashes of the dirty coal our people mine....what's a job anyway? Obama is here to save us!
Spoken like a true Mountaineer. "Screw that edumacashun stuff. Imma git me one of them thar truck drivin' jobs for Massey!!"

But, at least with that "scrap of paper," you'd know it's "progEny."

I rest my case.

[note: I don't usually care about spelling on the internet, but that was just too good to pass up - because it wasn't a typo. The I and the E keys are a loooooooong ways apart from each other, and it also helps prove the underlying point I'm trying to make.]

But in all seriousness, I never heard about the California thing. You got a link? I know more about the Bresch situation than anyone here would want to know about, but never heard that.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 PM

64 posts, read 320,990 times
Stereotypes get old in West Virginia although some are accurate. I think one of the main problems are the roads. It is not easy to go some places in the state due to the lack of interstates which to a degree is due to construction costs over, through and around all these mountains. But, I'll take the mountains anytime. Our economy has always tended to lag behind other states and again, I think it goes back to infastructure--roads, airports etc. As a result, we have some brain drain. All in all, it is a scenic state and reasonably safe. As for bears, I have seen Victor the wrestling bear a couple of times as he passes through the state, but he doesnt live here. I have never seen a bear in my area and only hear about one rarely. There were reports of one in a city park a few years ago and it was determined that he had strayed from a nearby state park. He was only spotted one day and the officials couldnt locate him to take him back to the state park. The most common complaint about wildlife has to be all the white tail deer we have and the fact that they are coming into the cities more all the time as there population explodes. There just isnt enough food for all of them and they end up eating peoples plants and flowers. I see deer alomost daily and many times, they don't even run away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia