Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1 View Post
Ya, and there isn't much to do here either.
I've got a pretty strong case of cabin fever, and admittedly I was talking to my wife just yesterday about the lack of entertainment I've had lately. Then again I absolutely hate winter, hate winter activities, or just being outside in the winter in general.

But when spring finally hits I'll remember there's lots to do here. There's lots of good parks to take my kids to. We just went to the children's museum this Saturday. This spring we've got tickets to two shows at the Performing Arts Center. There's lots of good bars for nightlife, more than in Madison actually (according to CNN Money), there is alot of good retaraunts downtown too. Also the biggest mall in the state (or 2nd?), T-Rattler's games are cheap and short enough to still be entertaining, three high schools to see perform plays or games, WIR raceway is just down the road, there's the Greenville concerts every year in August, the comedy club has alot of great headliners, High Cliff state park is just a few miles away...

So, please tell me what YOU are missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM

387 posts, read 1,331,441 times
I love the PAF in Appleton. We have tickets for the Trinity Irish Dancers in April and Reo Speedwagon in May. We haven't checked out the Children's Museum but plan to next time we are there. We loved the Timber Rattlers game. Also explored the parks and loved them.
We found Appleton to be a very nice area with a lot to do. My husband has placed some very happy clients there.
People who complain that there is nothing to do I think don't make the effort to find something to do. We weren't bored in Appleton at all and can't wait to come back. We found many more restaurants we want to check out next time too.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 27,247 times
well, it's certainly a nice place to VISIT - i loved it when i visited. it's living here - honestly - that's hard. i have tickets to the PAC, too, but that doesn't carry you through a regular night here in appleton. admittedly, i live in one of the crummier neighborhoods (though there's no obvious demarcation apparent to a newcomer such as myself), but lots of food is on the streets - i've seen it every day when walking downtown - not so easily seen at night. the noise from the cars is the worst i've ever experienced. every other car has a horrible muffler (and whatever else people do to have loud, annoying cars), and, if not, the drivers make sure they rev up at every stop sign and/or beep like crazy and/or play reeeeally loud music. the bars (which may be on college ave, but are, so much as i can see, not college bars) emit drunken, crazy people out into the night every night - loud, annoying, and, did i say loud? my guess is that if you can live in a well-established, well-to-do neighborhood and somehow (how?) manage to find friends who don't worship alcohol and have a really expensive white noise machine for sleep-time, you'll do fine. good luck to you.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janecity View Post
well, it's certainly a nice place to VISIT - i loved it when i visited. it's living here - honestly - that's hard. i have tickets to the PAC, too, but that doesn't carry you through a regular night here in appleton. admittedly, i live in one of the crummier neighborhoods (though there's no obvious demarcation apparent to a newcomer such as myself), but lots of food is on the streets - i've seen it every day when walking downtown - not so easily seen at night. the noise from the cars is the worst i've ever experienced. every other car has a horrible muffler (and whatever else people do to have loud, annoying cars), and, if not, the drivers make sure they rev up at every stop sign and/or beep like crazy and/or play reeeeally loud music. the bars (which may be on college ave, but are, so much as i can see, not college bars) emit drunken, crazy people out into the night every night - loud, annoying, and, did i say loud? my guess is that if you can live in a well-established, well-to-do neighborhood and somehow (how?) manage to find friends who don't worship alcohol and have a really expensive white noise machine for sleep-time, you'll do fine. good luck to you.
I can't possibly live more than 10 or 12 blocks away from you and I've got the complete polar opposite things to say. You must live on the one truly bad block in town lol. And trust me, I'm super anal. I hate garbage on the ground, I hate loud *******s, I don't hear any noisy cars despite living within a block of two busy streets. If you wouldn't mind, PM me what street you live on - it's got to be right off downtown and you must live by the messiest drunks in town lol

BTW, you do know that there is a university on College Ave right?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

We were just in Appleton the last few days. One of the people we were working with picked a home on Millwood Drive in Appleton. Very nice family area. They are moving to Appleton from the northeast. Seems pretty quiet and clean.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,365 times
We will have to come and see a Timber Rattlers game with you this summer. I love baseball. Then you can come here and watch the Woodchucks, Kate.
Glad to see you are getting your clients settled here. I bet you and Jim really inspire them with your love for WI. Has to be easy for you to get people to relocate to the midwest. You have really have learned so much about WI and the different regions in the short time that you have been here. I am impressed!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 PM

We would love to meet for both the Timber Rattlers and a Woodchucks game. As much as I love MLB baseball there is something about being at a small town baseball game. My kids had a blast at the Timber Rattlers game last summer. It is high on there list of things to do again this year. There were lots of great restaurants in Appleton that we could check out. Will have to check game schedules and figure out a good time to meet up.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Yo Vanilla, the mall in Appleton is the 2nd biggest in the state. Wow, we still haven't taken them there yet. Two teenage girls at a mall. Not my or my money's idea of fun.
But we did go to the Penzey's spice store. I took home quite the haul of spices. I could go broke there.
We are going back for a couple of concerts at the PAC so we will probably hit the mall.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 44,178 times
I would like to spend less than $800. I also have pets so I am willing to budge on the rent. I don't necessarily need a place in Appleton either. My in laws live in Little Chute and I enjoy the smaller communities surrounding Appleton as well.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 27,247 times
well, yo vanilla, i live a few blocks north of the main part of town, and yes, i do know there's a college here. the college is great - never had a problem there. it's the regular townspeople that drive me crazy. if you want to hear a very loud "free bird" at 4 am from someone's garage where they're banging (er, working) on their cars and entertaining drunk friends, and - oh, i won't even go on - the things that go on in this neighborhood are unbelievable. i'm working very seriously on moving - at least to another area of appleton where the people may be a bit more sane - til i can leave entirely. good for all who love appleton, but it's a town i'll leave behind gladly. i moved here without trepidation, but will leave here with great gusto when the time finally comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin