Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 PM

11 posts, read 44,184 times

Advertisements

Are there good or bad areas of Appleton? Low income apartments or otherwise unsavory areas of the city? I am planing a move to the lovely Fox Valley area and would like to rent before I buy. I know that Appleton has lower than average crime but am also aware of misleading crime statistics. I don't want to waste my money on a big apartment that is in a bad area when there may be a similar space in a nicer area.

Last edited by Snstn646; 03-16-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:48 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
Well... there's not a whole lot of bad. But in a nutshell, anything on Spencer St and within 2 blocks of it is pretty ugly. Likewise with the 2-3 block radius surrounding Appleton Papers and also most of the streets right around Appleton West High School. Otherwise it doesn't sound like you are looking for a gated community so steer clear of those and you should be in good shape.

P.S. there really isn't much crime here at all.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
P.S. there really isn't much crime here at all.

Ya, and there isn't much to do here either.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM

18 posts, read 107,840 times
I lived at McCarthy Creek Apartments for a year (05/06) and loved them. You can't have pets though. They are very close to the mall and newer developed areas and, at least when I was there, rent was very reasonable. But pretty much there aren't bad neighborhoods... just depends on what you want to be close to.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:04 AM

9 posts, read 27,255 times
man, finding this forum on this particular night may not have been too good, because i'm about to scream. i live a few blocks north of downtown appleton - for the last year - and i hate it.

if you live around the downtown, there's a ton of crime (going in all four directions, a house within each block has been burglarized or there's been a theft of some sort; a guy's apartment 3 blocks away was entered and he was knifed; my downstairs neighbors tried to break into my apartment; and i could go on and on); the sidewalks are filthy (there are so many pizzas and beer and gum and whatever all over the place - it's truly gross - you have to pick your way through the downtown, near the far too numerous bars especially); only the shopkeepers and the college employees are friendly (no one else smiles, although i was actually asked twice on the street if i needed help carrying my groceries - nice); the cars are so unbelievably loud (as are the drunks coming home at night from the bars - every single night, there's a fight, crying, barfing - something - right outside my window); i've never been bumped into so many times in the mall or on the sidewalks as i have been here in appleton; and, oddity of all oddities, people start snowblowing at like 4 in the morning here, precluding a good night's sleep for the rest of us.

on the positive side - hmm, i'm trying - i like the shopping, and the grocery stores are okay (copp's and piggly wiggly have nice and helpful staff). the poor overworked police are very nice. and btw, the driving here is no big deal - it's fine - the crappy stuff is more when you're a pedestrian or in the mall.

just as a reference, i've lived in the boonies, the suburbs, and in the biggest cities of the eastern and midwestern u.s.

if you feel you want to come here to appleton, DO NOT live near downtown; do not live on a busline (or you may have unbearably loud people,as i do, who yell and wake you up every morning at 6:30 as they wait for the bus) or near a bar; get good locks for your doors (especially if you live in a nicer neighborhood); try not to let unfriendly people haunt you (it is still possible to maintain a smile here); and DO NOT rent an apartment in a house with neighbors upstairs or down or nextdoor, without first finding out if they actually sleep (my neighbors don't, so i'm dying of sleep deprivation), as well as other things no one could conceive of having to ask until they lived here for a few nights, such as "will my downstairs neighbor pee in my washing machine in the shared basement" - yes, my neighbor did, among other lovely things).

one last thing - you don't need to LOVE brett favre, but it sure would help, because you'll hear and see his name plastered everywhere. and, i hope you're a good cook, because other than a few specialties around town, the food is bland and filled with grease.

i know this is a very long and negative post - it's just that i've had it with this place, can't leave yet, and reeeeeally wish i could. soon...

Old 03-23-2008, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 20,796 times
Do you have a price range that you are looking at? As you can imagine, most of the apartments in some of the less safe or undesirable areas are really cheap.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust00 View Post
I lived at McCarthy Creek Apartments for a year (05/06) and loved them. You can't have pets though. They are very close to the mall and newer developed areas and, at least when I was there, rent was very reasonable. But pretty much there aren't bad neighborhoods... just depends on what you want to be close to.

We lived directly across the street at Silver Springs Apts. for the first year we were here. Owned by the same company. Well maintained, reasonable rent which includes heat. Very conveniently located near the mall and most of the good shopping places as well as the airport. It's a quiet and safe location.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:58 PM

18 posts, read 107,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janecity View Post
one last thing - you don't need to LOVE brett favre, but it sure would help, because you'll hear and see his name plastered everywhere.
HAHAHA! Ain't that the truth. In fact, you better just love the whole pack. I did/do not. But it wasn't something I broadcasted. lol. Best days to shop are game days- almost everyone else is somewhere with a tv and you have the mall/store/whatever to yourself. Just don't go to a restaurant and sit under the tv without knowing it b/c you'll feel like everyone is starting at you until you realize the game is on above your head.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 PM

9 posts, read 61,809 times
first time posting on here, but, the limited experience I have living in the Appleton Area its overall not that bad, living in Oshkosh now for college I am exposed to a different culture and lifestyle. Anyways I'd thought I'd add to [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/wanderlust00-230964.html"]wanderlust00[/URL] comment. The northwest side of the Appleton Area(Grand Chute) isn't that bad used to know some people that lived in The McCarthy Creek apartments. It was always low key and there weren't any problems, I was ever aware of in the apartments. We used to Hang out and drink there a lot back in the summer of '04. I don't know about it now , but I can't imagine too much has changed. My parents live in a relatively new subdivision off of Casaloma. They/I have lived there since June of '01. The only break ins that have occurred were because of a troubled young adult in the neighborhood. Anyways to add, one of my frat brothers actually lived in the apartments/townhouses off of Casaloma for a year. They're right off of Hwy 15 on the left heading North, never had any problems, said it was nice not having to deal with a lot drunk loud people. I think overall you'll find rent prices fairly reasonable for what you get compared to what I see in Oshkosh and the **** you have to put up with. Anyways, the things you deal with reflect largely in part to the age groups that dominate the apartment complex. Generally college students and young people like myself are going to be a little more rowdy. Just giving an honest opinion as I have been part of this type. Also, to give some other references, one of my friends who has lived on the southeast side such as the Schaefer circle area, is laden with drug activity. Anyways, just giving my knowledge of the area. Hope it helps with the decision.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janecity View Post
man, finding this forum on this particular night may not have been too good, because i'm about to scream. i live a few blocks north of downtown appleton - for the last year - and i hate it.

if you live around the downtown, there's a ton of crime (going in all four directions, a house within each block has been burglarized or there's been a theft of some sort; a guy's apartment 3 blocks away was entered and he was knifed; my downstairs neighbors tried to break into my apartment; and i could go on and on); the sidewalks are filthy (there are so many pizzas and beer and gum and whatever all over the place - it's truly gross - you have to pick your way through the downtown, near the far too numerous bars especially); only the shopkeepers and the college employees are friendly (no one else smiles, although i was actually asked twice on the street if i needed help carrying my groceries - nice); the cars are so unbelievably loud (as are the drunks coming home at night from the bars - every single night, there's a fight, crying, barfing - something - right outside my window); i've never been bumped into so many times in the mall or on the sidewalks as i have been here in appleton; and, oddity of all oddities, people start snowblowing at like 4 in the morning here, precluding a good night's sleep for the rest of us.
wow, well don't go to her neighborhood either lol. that's interesting, since i live just south of downtown and the people i bought my house from said they never locked their doors. hows that for small town lol. i do live just around the corner from the memorial and prospect intersection (for 6 or 7 years i guess) and i can't complain about any kind of noise, save the occasional car on only the otherwise quietest of nights. oh and sometimes i can hear the fireworks when the t-rats win at night.

i've never seen pizza or any amount of garbage worth remembering on the sidewalks, and i've been downtown at bar time enough times to notice it (especially being the only sober one around). and i'm trying really hard to remember a time when i was bumped into or frowned upon and i can't.

i guess you can add the immediate walking distances north of the downtown college ave bars to your avoidance list lol. i am curious to whereabout janecity lives; you're the first person i've ever heard with so many things to say about crime or garbage around you...

p.s. i hate the packers and football in general
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin