Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM

697 posts, read 1,282,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
i got to spend a week on a farm in iowa when i was about 10 years old. i have immense respect for farmers, it's tough, hard work, and unless you're hooked in with uncle sam i hear it's tough to make a buck too. although i'm no expert on what kind of profits farmers make. can you do ok? by the way i'm not asking how much you make. it's just a general question,

i guess by this time of day you've already worked a few hours right?
my day starts at 5a.m. every day and am usally done with chores by 7-7:30-- i am dam proud to say my hat isn't shaped like a mailbox- never has been and never will -- not in my life time-- just think if you were here this afternoon you could help the vet arm my cows(if the roads are clear enought to geet outhere)-- thats when you preg test a cow by sticking your arm up to the shoulder in the cows arse -- beleive me it makes your day-- i am getting to old to do it myself anymore so I hire the vet to come out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
my day starts at 5a.m. every day and am usally done with chores by 7-7:30-- i am dam proud to say my hat isn't shaped like a mailbox- never has been and never will -- not in my life time-- just think if you were here this afternoon you could help the vet arm my cows(if the roads are clear enought to geet outhere)-- thats when you preg test a cow by sticking your arm up to the shoulder in the cows arse -- beleive me it makes your day-- i am getting to old to do it myself anymore so I hire the vet to come out
sounds like a nice way to spend you day... with your arm up to your shoulder in a cows arse. yummy! well hopefully they're preg right? good luck

Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 AM

697 posts, read 1,282,254 times
if they ain't preg , i know of 3 bulls that are going get turned into cheeseburgers

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
if they ain't preg , i know of 3 bulls that are going get turned into cheeseburgers
yeah i guess it ain't like people where it can be hit or miss. if they're in season it takes huh?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Every job I ever had has been in the Corporate setting. Im talking LARGE corporations that everyone knows and have heard of before. I'll stop short of saying that women dont make good bosses because I know CD is 80% female and I'll get roasted. But, I will say they usually from my own personal experience, ARE sub-par to men when it comes to leading and being in charge. And I think it has a LOT to do with their emotions and monthly cycles. They let their emotions effect them instead of letting their intellect lead. Not saying ALL women are like this, but definitely ALL the women I have encountered who were in "boss" type rolls were in fact unable to lead with their intellect and always had issues where their female emotional mindset take over.

One boss I remember who was really nice was super skinny, got giant fake boobs and became much better at her job after that.
Bless your sweet heart. It could be that they became that way after dealing with you. It is always largely distasteful when someone uses the excuse of a woman's menstruation as if that makes her some flaming basket case and as if only women hold the ability to have hormonal swings. Men have hormones too-- and since the level of testosterone can fluctuate daily-- men can also exhibit hormonal related mood swings. I have never used PMS as an excuse for my behavior-- and I loathe it when someone uses it against me as a method to be misogynist or sexist. Let's be real, a strong, articulate, and business savvy woman may be called a ***** whereas a man with the same tendencies may not be called any demeaning term whatsoever.

At any rate, my two best leaders--- ever-- were both females. One was a Sr. VP, the other is now a director. Both are incredible leaders and had an amazing business sense.

My worst "leader" or "manager" ever was a man (leader I use the term extremely loosely because he was anything but). He was overly emotional, had a serious case of little man syndrome-- was severely jealous over anyone who was doing better than him. At the same hand, he thought he was god's gift to the corporate world. Ironically, I have worked with MANY emotional men. In fact, on my analyst team (we all had to take a personality test in our entire department for team building), myself, my female manager, and my female VP were far less emotional than most men on the team. The rest of the men and women were less extreme on their personality types.

I have had some great male leaders, I have had some great female leaders. I have had more average management than anything be they female or male. Of course that is the norm-- average is the norm. Not many folks are superstars.

In my ever so general experience, most of the men I have worked for and under-- were either super aggressive in decision making-- to a fault (meaning they would refuse to listen to any other perspective I guess as a sign of weakness) or they were absolutely non-committal to any decision. Whereras the women generically, either made no decisions and just kind of hid from them or would make a decision and would waffle if anyone came back at them (not wanting to cause waves, not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, etc).

I would work for my last VP and manager ANY day.. and if they moved onto different companies and called me up to come join them-- I would in a heart beat.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,278,380 times
I prefer to work with myself.

However, I didn't notice much of a difference between male bosses and female. I only had one truly rotten boss, and I don't attribute that to her being female as much as I attribute it to her being emotionally and mentally challenged (no, really), grossly underqualified for her job, and a beneficiary of nepotism (her brother put her in the job).

Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,646,584 times
When I was an undergrad student I used to work with a lot of attorneys both male and female and I must say that 95% of the time, I'd rather work for male attorneys, they are all basically nuts but at least a man is tolerable in that environment. The women tend to hold grudges, micro-manage and behave very defensively if they make a mistake.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,621 times
I'd rather work for a man. >IN GENERAL, IN MY EXPERIENCE< They are much more clear about directions and feedback and I can also ask direct questions instead of trying to ask them..oversensitively.. and getting a "nice" answer instead of a real opinion, answer, or direction. And I just seem to get along with them better. *shrug*

Sounds silly but it's a pretty good feeling to ask "which of these is a better way to do this?" and get specific suggestions, explanations, or reasons. And no hard feelings on either side and being sure the supervisor is being honest.

I feel like I've answered this before..?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,306,621 times
Im surprised so many peple said "niceness" is how they judge whether they like a boss or not. I want to do great quality work and improve myself. Not be "niced" to.

Of course I don't want anyone to be mean to me, but idk, niceness doesn't really do much for me in a work setting.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,095,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
A man or a woman? Work relationships are a huge part of our lives and how we get along can make or break a job. I typically hear women say that they prefer to work with men and I get mixed reviews from men. Personally I get along better with women than I do with men. I will admit though that if the woman is a real b*tch it makes for a miserable workplace. Same goes if a man is a d*ck.

My take on it after working at a place with 10,000 employees or 22 years is that women prefer to work with men and for the most part men ALSO prefer to work with/for men. What about ya'll?

I prefer to work with men..Im the only women on my team at IBM..its nice..the guys are great and very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment