Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times

Advertisements

I do not get paid vacation. However, when I am on the road I get paid on my days off. So, I am not complaining.

Where I use to work there were people that would forfit some of their PTO not because they could not get the time off, but rather they would lose their opportunity to work overtime during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
I typically do not use all of mine. sort of a habit I got into. I like to take longer trips, so that means saving up. On top of that, I'm in grad school part time, so I have to time vacation with school and work. And I don't have a lot of money so I can't always go somewhere. And, I'm a little paranoid about layoffs, having been through them now three times in my life. Having a little extra in the severence check is nice.

I currently work for a very small company that doesn't track our vacation hours on our paystub. We're just supposed to keep track on our own! There's a few people who sorta stretch the hours I think. I think there's a use-it-or-lose it point, but we don't have an up-to-date employee handbook, and as they aren't keeping track of our hours, I don't think there's any way for them to enforce that. I haven't heard of anyone saying they have enforced it.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
We can carry over up to one year's allotment. We can also sell back some of them, providing you have taken no sick days the previous year, (or, if you have taken fewer than three sick days, you may only sell back five vacation days). You sign up at the end of the year to sell back next year's days, and then the money is spread throughout your next year's paychecks. It's been helpful these past few years when there are no raises.

Sick days don't work the same way. We have a generous sick plan, but if you are out longer than a week, you need a doctor's note, and you don't get paid for any sick days if you don't take them.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,070,158 times
I only get 10 PTO days a year, so you can bet your bottom dollar I use them all up. Unfortunately, I have to use some of them for personal business instead of fun vacation stuff.

(Whine, whine, whine! I know how fortunate I am to even have a job these days, and one I enjoy at that! It's just been a real long time - March of 2010 - since I last had a week off, and it won't be until sometime in 2012 that I can take a whole week at one time again. )

At my old job (until I lost it due to downsizing in Aug 2007) I'd been there for almost 21 years and had worked my way up to 32 PTO days a year. (Woo-hoo!) I usually used all of them, but if I didn't, the firm paid me for any unused days at the end of the year. That was a good deal!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,739 times
I get 10 days vacation plus 10 paid holidays. However, we have FORCED vacation at the end of the year so if you have used all your vacation days, you don't get paid. Nice huh? Lovely little dirty secret working for one of the largest companies in the world. You could borrow vacation from the following year if you did want to get paid over the Xmas holidays but then you would be running in the "red" and if you got laid off, you would have to pay the company back that time.

I also have 5 days PTO. Here in Cali, any left over PTO gets cashed out at the end of the year but I would rather use that time off (add it to vacation) then be taxed on it.

I use EVERY minute of my vacation. I'm a work to live not live to work person. My company doesn't value their employees and that has shown with no raises in 6 years. Again, I am working for one of the largest tech companies in the world.... so... I take what I can get.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,033,469 times
What vacation days? lol I dont get vacation days.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I imagine it is taxed as ordinary income? Fed, State, SS?
Should be-- or at least back in the day when I was running payroll it was W4 taxable.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
My company is use it or lose it unless there was something company related that causes you to have to roll over a week at max (i.e. when I worked in payroll end of the year with all the W2 and tax reporting sometimes people could not really get through all of their vaca due to the activities payroll groups have to go through to close out the year).

I get 4 weeks paid--- a few days unpaid, comp days for travel on weekends if need be, and then sick and holidays.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
I get 4 weeks vacation, 1 week study leave, 1 sick day per month plus federal holidays. You better believe I take all of it. Well I don't take the sick time unless I am really sick; it accumulates to a maximum of 60 days, even if I max out I can't see me using them just because.

The best part is in year 6 I get an additional 3 months off (with pay) to rest and recuperate.

How people can not take their time off has always amazed me.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times
I get three weeks a year, plus two floating holidays and 2 personal days. We cannot carry them over, so I make sure I use ever single day the company gives me. Leaving vacation on the table is like giving up a day of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment