Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times

Advertisements

Oh yea, it was.
Sometimes, what gets me is all the honest people that simply can't do due to feeling guilty or their conscious won't let them.......that sure wasn't me!

I remember, after turning in a two week notice due to moving out of the state, my supervisor told me that if I still had one sick day on the books left. "If you don't take it, you'll lose it" he told me. Sooooooo, the very next day, I called him and told him I was sick. Actually, I called him from a payphone outside of Denny's and I knew he could hear the traffic by the restaurant. He said "ok, I'll see you tomorrow". The next day he looked at me and said "how was your breakfast at Denny's?" and I said "good".......we both smiled over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Nice! But make sure Denny's is far away from work lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
If you spend more on a vacation than what you earn that week.......the vacation can be financially draining. And, to take an out-of-town vacation twice (2-weeks each) or 4 times (for 1 week each) can be "financially draining". We wanted to take our boat out and go to the Gun/Rifle Range during the week and if we are gone, we can't do that. Some people can financially handle the expense of 4 weeks of vacation time going out-of-town, while others can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's quite possible I'm having a DOH moment but why would four weeks vacation be a little much especially financially when the time is paid? Your wife is really lucky to have four weeks paid vacation. In all my working life as an employee I've never had more than three and even that paled in comparison to my family in England who are quite used to enjoying 5-6 weeks as the norm!

I remember a former poster on CD who used to boast that although he was entitled to two weeks paid vacation a year he never took it because he had nothing much to do outside the job and preferred just to work. As I recall his vacation time wasn't cumulative from year to year so he basically just lost that vacation time every year. Now that to me was really daft but he was quite an oddball in more ways than one!

As for all the checking-in via telephone and email when on vacation, unless you're either the company owner or in top management making mega $$$ and your input is crucial to the everyday flow, to heck with being on call. As has been said on this thread by many, a vacation is a vacation is a vacation and it's not any kind of time-out refresher if that umbilical cord remains firmly in situ.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,206 times
I do not, I can carry up to 120 hrs before I lose days. That is not including supplemental or floating.

I am glad to see this thread, I really need to check my balance tomorrow.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If you spend more on a vacation than what you earn that week.......the vacation can be financially draining. And, to take an out-of-town vacation twice (2-weeks each) or 4 times (for 1 week each) can be "financially draining". We wanted to take our boat out and go to the Gun/Rifle Range during the week and if we are gone, we can't do that. Some people can financially handle the expense of 4 weeks of vacation time going out-of-town, while others can't.
I understand that. But just because you have four weeks vacation doesn't mean you have to go away for those four weeks! In your case, why can't you stay home and take out your boat?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,798 times
I get 5 days a year and use all of them, no sick time, no floating holidays.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If you spend more on a vacation than what you earn that week.......the vacation can be financially draining.
I can understand that.

Due to our schedules we often plan out our major vacations at least several months in advance (we have 3, week-long vacations planned in 2012 - all are already fully booked). A benefit to this is that, for these major excursions, since they are not last-minute trips, we know what it is going to cost us and are able to properly plan ahead - we love to travel and like to make the most of our time off, so we put money aside for vacations the same way we do for our savings and retirement - which allows us to splurge on our getaways without having to worry about how to pay for it.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
I get 5 days per year, but no sick time, no paid holidays. So I use those 5 days for national holidays when the office is closed, but there are 8 holidays, so I don't get paid for 3 of them. If I'm sick, I go to work sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment