Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,787 times

Advertisements

When I worked for the school district, I got 1 sick day per month-I was a part timer There were no vacation days-but we did get Christmas and Easter breaks off along with all summer. Summer I took the 26 week pay option so I'd be able to pay the bills otherwise no paycheck while home playing in the pool.
I was able to accrue the sick time-when I shattered my ankle-I had 21 days in there-which gave me 3 weeks pay at least.

Now with this private sector job, I don't get vacation time til after this November-it takes 2 1/2 months to earn 1 vacation day. It can't be banked or carried over. I only get 5 days a year-if I earn it and has to be used by December 31st. And no more than one person can be out at a time-there are 27 people at work. So since I am so late in the year to get all 5 days-I'll never get vacation-because people already put in for all the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I'll just lose it-they won't pay you for it if you don't use it. Sick time-I get two a year- earn 1 every six months. No personal days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,966 times
Never understood people who don't use them. Many that I personally knew just had no hobbies or anything to do with they days, sad.

I use all 24 of mine plus some sick days.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Never understood people who don't use them. Many that I personally knew just had no hobbies or anything to do with they days, sad.

I use all 24 of mine plus some sick days.

I agree, how could you not use them, unless you are carrying them over to go away at another time...

but to not take a vacation day because you have absolutely nothing in the whole entire world to do and would then rather go to work than sit home and do nothing, is beyond me.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree, how could you not use them, unless you are carrying them over to go away at another time...

but to not take a vacation day because you have absolutely nothing in the whole entire world to do and would then rather go to work than sit home and do nothing, is beyond me.

I LOVE to take a day off to sit at home and do nothing. In fact, that's what I'm doing tomorrow. I can sit and actually READ with some level of concentration without falling asleep, watch old movies on TV if I want to, take a walk when I feel like, and nap in the back yard (although the weather won't allow it this time). During the summer when I have an a single day off, I'll likely stretch out on my lounge chair and catch some rays. And/or bike, garden, whatever I want to do.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM

483 posts, read 854,194 times
I sure do, as a matter of fact my 2 week vacation is coming up next month. We get 28 days of vacation. In addition to that we get holiday time, sick days and emergency days. There are also opportunities to cash out a few days of our vacation days during certain times of the year.... we get a separate check for that too. Not bad considering that I only work 3 days a week.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,594,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I get 18 vacation days per year. So far, I've used 40s hr of vacation this year and my accumlated vacation hours are 258. We can carry over 300 hours I think. I'm not sure.

I donated 8 vacation hours to an unamed co-worker who needed sick leave pay. I wish we could donate sick leave hours instead. I've got 610 of those. Vacation is paid out if I quit or get fired. Sick leave is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are sick leave carried over as well?
Yes. Sick leave is carried over. But there's a limit as to how much sick leave I can use at a time. If I'm out for longer than 12 weeks on sick leave, the FMLA kicks in. Not quite sure how that works but I think my employer would want to try to get me back to work rather than let me go permanently. I've been here 12 years so I would hope I'd be valued enough to work something out with my employer so that I could eventually come back to work. Of the three accountants here, I have the most seniority, work experience and a BS in Accounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Never understood people who don't use them...
I don't take all of mine even though I'd like to. No one is doing my job while I'm gone so when I come back from several days off, I'm stressed trying to catch-up on my work and meet deadlines.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,889 times
I get three weeks of vacation plus a week of sick leave. If I don't use them, I get paid out on my anniversary date.

I usually need the money more than the time off. Although there are rumors going around that I might not have that as an option when the next contract goes into effect.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Yes. Sick leave is carried over. But there's a limit as to how much sick leave I can use at a time. If I'm out for longer than 12 weeks on sick leave, the FMLA kicks in. Not quite sure how that works but I think my employer would want to try to get me back to work rather than let me go permanently. I've been here 12 years so I would hope I'd be valued enough to work something out with my employer so that I could eventually come back to work. Of the three accountants here, I have the most seniority, work experience and a BS in Accounting.

Thanks, I was just curious because we do our sick leave differently here. We don't have a set sick leave, we just take off (paid) when sick, and handle long term sickness on a case by case basis (small company).

Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,949 times
Absolutely I use ALL time. Even if I'm about to lose sick time I'll call out sick!! I work for this time and I'm not going to "not" use it!!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 PM

162 posts, read 886,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
just curious, after reading this article:

i rarely use mine up but do get to carry them over.
Every single one of them...I've only carried over twice. I go to the beach for 2 weeks every year and use a week at Christmas. And I use my PTO time for dr. appts and my children's school functions etc. This year, I have not a single PTO day left and have used all my vacation that I have earned so far. I'm losing my job in a few weeks and it's use or lose. I've given them my soul for over a decade, not putting money in their account when I can get away from the stress a few times a month until the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment