Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unarmed security is customer service. The guys at the gatehouse in my neighborhood are unarmed. Their duties:

Greet residents with a wave and a smile

Open the gate for USPS/UPS/FedEx in their respective logo'ed company vehicles/uniforms, emergency vehicles, and the water/electric/cable/gas company people when they present appropriate ID.

Greet guests--if they are on a residents "permanent guest list," verify ID and admit them. If they are on the temporary guest list, write down ID info and admit them. If they are not on a guest list, call the homeowner to verify the guest is expected. If yes, treat like temporary guest list. If no, turn the vehicle away.

Notify police of any suspicious activities they observe.

So tell me, why should someone who has less duties and responsibility than the average receptionist be paid more than $10 an hour? (Guard house has heat/ac, color cable TV, a roof over where cars pull up so when it's raining the guard doesn't get wet, private bathroom, mini-fridge, uniforms are provided. Pretty cushy job in my opinion.)
Not all security guards work access control or in office buildings. I know security officers who have been shot at, murdered, and battered. Usually, the cushy security jobs pay better than the rough ones at Section 8 apartment complexes, bars, transit stations, shopping centers in bad neighborhoods, and homeless shelters. At those places, you have to be ready to shoot, beat, or handcuff someone just to save your life or someone else's. I really don't understand why anyone would work those jobs for $8 or $9 an hour with no benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
because hiring-managers, job owners, bosses, are selfish, greedy people who don't care about the consumer or their employees, only their money
That's because many of those "greedy" folks are still in business today because it requires a certain level of ruthless greed to simply keep the doors open today. Good intentions were priced out of the budget years ago.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That's because many of those "greedy" folks are still in business today because it requires a certain level of ruthless greed to simply keep the doors open today. Good intentions were priced out of the budget years ago.
yeah, they don't care that nobody is born with experience

Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah, they don't care that nobody is born with experience
It's not a businesses job to provide anyone with training or experience. As long as they can hire lines of unemployed experienced people, they will. As long as a business pays their taxes, they don't owe anybody anything. It's the colleges, vocation school's, and K-12 school's job to to provide skills and knowledge that will help folks get entry level jobs in their chosen fields. Try blaming them instead.

For what an average college charges per semester, I think students and parents are getting ripped off. I don't know many people going to votech route anymore... Americans on average do look down on much of that work, but I think that is starting to change a bit. K-12 has been in decay for decades. Kids used to come out with a good handle on mathematics, and now many think math is hard and don't bother to learn or get better. It's pretty sad when K-12 grads aren't even qualified for basic entry level jobs.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's not a businesses job to provide anyone with training or experience. As long as they can hire lines of unemployed experienced people, they will. As long as a business pays their taxes, they don't owe anybody anything. It's the colleges, vocation school's, and K-12 school's job to to provide skills and knowledge that will help folks get entry level jobs in their chosen fields. Try blaming them instead.

For what an average college charges per semester, I think students and parents are getting ripped off. I don't know many people going to votech route anymore... Americans on average do look down on much of that work, but I think that is starting to change a bit. K-12 has been in decay for decades. Kids used to come out with a good handle on mathematics, and now many think math is hard and don't bother to learn or get better. It's pretty sad when K-12 grads aren't even qualified for basic entry level jobs.
and who or what gives them that right to now owe anybody anything?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Correct, andywire, the mistake many make is putting emotion into what are simply rational, business decisions. Neither an employer nor an employee owes either anything beyond that which they bartered. That deal called for performing function A for Salary B plus, possibly Benefits C, and Incentive Pay D.

To be frank, the outsourcing we saw primarily starting in the 90s, and continuing for the last decade, would have occured ten minutes after WWII ended, had it been possible. It wasn't; the invention that changed the game forever IMO was the uniform shipping container. Add in the internet, RFID for 24/7 tracking, logistics companies, outsourcing companies and I'm talking corps that facilitate the process like recruiters - 3rd parties b/w the Asian companies hired and the client, and this combo is really all that changed. Corps have always sought to maximize profits, just as employees do-we do not work for what it costs us to get to work.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct, andywire, the mistake many make is putting emotion into what are simply rational, business decisions. Neither an employer nor an employee owes either anything beyond that which they bartered. That deal called for performing function A for Salary B plus, possibly Benefits C, and Incentive Pay D.

To be frank, the outsourcing we saw primarily starting in the 90s, and continuing for the last decade, would have occured ten minutes after WWII ended, had it been possible. It wasn't; the invention that changed the game forever IMO was the uniform shipping container. Add in the internet, RFID for 24/7 tracking, logistics companies, outsourcing companies and I'm talking corps that facilitate the process like recruiters - 3rd parties b/w the Asian companies hired and the client, and this combo is really all that changed. Corps have always sought to maximize profits, just as employees do-we do not work for what it costs us to get to work.
yeah, life owe's nothing, life is what we make of it, well i hate it when i take the initiative, attempt to make it better but it never works, because i want it to get better when i want it, i want to have the authority, power, final say in getting what i want and when i want it

Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
And that is fruitless. Getting a job in 2012 is no different than farmer Joe trading corn for shoes centuries ago, except today we exchange money. Next time you apply for a job, remember what you are doing is simply rational, non-emotional barter.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 PM

50 posts, read 197,761 times
standard containerized shipping methods had been around decades before WWII, it wasn't until the 1960s that it made any impact when they began stripping the ICC of any power

Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
Actually it was not just containerized shipping but the net as well. Not only could you get your products shipped to you. But now you can get your services done overseas as well. Thus tens of millions of white collar jobs have been shipped overseas as well. It started as lower end white collar jobs. Then it moved to middle level white collar jobs. Now your seeing higher end white collar jobs go overseas. Things like IT engineering legal work HR jobs accounting. Containerized shipping help kill manufacturing. But the net will help kill many white collar jobs now and in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment