Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 12:25 AM

62 posts, read 732,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
We are in the middle of what will be a long term change. Less and less pay and benefits more education for the the jobs out there. It will be a major paradigm shift for everyone. At the end of this road most jobs will not pay a living wage. The reason the government keeps adding unemployment and food stamps is simple. They know the jobs are not there and are not coming back. They just do not want social unrest. If they would have run with 26 weeks for everyone in the end of 2007. Lots of people would have lost hope. People without hope can be dangerous. So give them a little check feed them. But make sure they stay busy apply for jobs go to school retrain for jobs that are not there but keep them busy.
even McDonald's, Walmart, Movie Theaters, Customer-Service jobs, want 2-3 years or more of work experience for easy jobs like those, it's insane, crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
It is just the change people do not want to face up to. They keep thinking their is a way around it. Young people are going to have to adjust to a lower paying non stable job market. People think you can get this skill set or that skill set. Even more think this degree or that one is going to keep you working. But overall the breakdown of living wage jobs are not going to be there. It might be 40/60 or 30/70 or 20/80 but poor paying jobs will be most of the new job market. Young people can train for whatever they like. But with the future job market where most jobs will pay poorly. Even alot of well skilled and educated people will lose simple as that.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
It is just the change people do not want to face up to. They keep thinking their is a way around it. Young people are going to have to adjust to a lower paying non stable job market. People think you can get this skill set or that skill set. Even more think this degree or that one is going to keep you working. But overall the breakdown of living wage jobs are not going to be there. It might be 40/60 or 30/70 or 20/80 but poor paying jobs will be most of the new job market. Young people can train for whatever they like. But with the future job market where most jobs will pay poorly. Even alot of well skilled and educated people will lose simple as that.
This observation should be even more motivation to work hard, prove yourself to an employer, and becoming a master of whatever profession you decide to pursue. The best of the best can always walk into a job if they have a reputation of excellence. Anybody can do something if they try. Quality always is worth something extra though.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM

62 posts, read 732,425 times
too much competition, which i really hate

Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
From that link...

"I recently spoke with a Fish + Wildlife Ranger with a degree in biology who has been there for seven years and is only making $9/hour. Another 12-year F&W veteran just received a $.50-cent raise, to earn $11.50/hour."

Ouch. College degrees aren't worth what they are used to... I have 18 years experience in industrial manufacturing and don't have a degree. Don't regret it either. Tech school training is all I've ever needed to advance... that and a good work ethic.
I have to agree with you. My spouse makes six figure's today with a 2 year technical degree (from 30 years ago), a good work ethic and great people skills. I'm not sure he would get hired today without a 4 year degree though.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
I have to agree with you. My spouse makes six figure's today with a 2 year technical degree (from 30 years ago), a good work ethic and great people skills. I'm not sure he would get hired today without a 4 year degree though.
You would be surprised. A lot of employers are changing their tune. The quest now if to find the guys who can simply get the job done, because there are a lot of clowns out there that can talk the talk at the interview table. I think employers are also getting a grasp on the concept... If ya want a job done right, you gotta pay a wage that is right. 4 year degrees, like em or hate them, say very little about a candidates ability to perform the duties of the job. They merely suggest that the candidate perhaps would like to give it a shot on the professional level. After that, it is up to the candidate to demonstrate their ability.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM

247 posts, read 751,415 times
Quote:
The reason the government keeps adding unemployment and food stamps is simple. They know the jobs are not there and are not coming back. They just do not want social unrest. Lots of people would have lost hope. People without hope can be dangerous. But make sure they stay busy apply for jobs go to school retrain for jobs that are not there but keep them busy.
I think this is completely true. I'm lucky enough to be employed, but I think this is the future.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Andy love your posts your one the best posters here. I think we would both agree their are not going to be enough jobs in the future. We moving to an ear of high unemployment as a way of life. We just do not need the amount of workers we once did. We will keep gutting different sectors of the job market. Only these workers will have nowhere to go. Most jobs in the future job market will be poor paying. It will be like a game of musical chairs but each year fewer and fewer chairs on that deck. Now the guys who land a chair will have a living wage job. Those who do not will have a low paying service job or nothing. We can not have a society were 10% are doing well and 90% are poor that is were we are heading. I always had motivation and worked hard but that is me. But being handicapped I knew the cards I was given. I am a volunteer worked as an intern and as a temp. The fact that we have millions work for free to have a shot at a paying job says alot about were we are heading long term.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Andy love your posts your one the best posters here. I think we would both agree their are not going to be enough jobs in the future. We moving to an ear of high unemployment as a way of life.
Quite likely, but we are also to a degree too conditioned to an unemployment rate that was too LOW, and that makes us whine more. For 2 plus decades growing up in the 70s and 80s, economists agreed 6% unemployment was full employment, as there would always be 6% in transition. We spent half of the 90s, and 4 years of the last decade with annual averages under 5. That was like going 4-4 in your first MLB game-a player would get overconfident-think its too easy.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM

Actually I expect the unemployment rate to run between 8% to 12% from now on. Most likely the base rate will be 8 to 9% this will be the new normal. The underemployed rate will run between 60% to 70%. We moving to a low wage service economy. We have 25 million workers underemployed in the US today. I expect that number to grow to between 75 to 100 million over the next 30 years. When they say we are becoming a service economy most of these jobs are low paying. Most will fall into the area of part time and temp work. Freelancers and contractors will also be a big part of the future job market as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment