Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,743 times

Advertisements

People just do not think they will be replaced. Happened to many in own family educated good skill sets. Someone buys their company their laid off or their are cut backs. Everybody in the US thinks it will be the other guy to get laid off. Most jobs in the future will not be full time with benefits. It cost too much and they will not do it. In the business world you are seeing alot more use of contract type jobs. Sometimes their 3 months 6 months or a year. Fewer and fewer jobs will be permanent or stable or have benefits. The growth of temps interns part time workers is to get rid of entry level workers. You can hire contractors for middle level and higher level roles get the skills you need and let them go. We are becoming a low wage service .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
When I was interviewing, I lost two jobs because "we usually hire entry levels but a guy with 2-3 years experience with no job was willing to take the entry level pay".

You can't compete with that, and the employers know the out of work job seekers will work for less.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
When I was interviewing, I lost two jobs because "we usually hire entry levels but a guy with 2-3 years experience with no job was willing to take the entry level pay".

You can't compete with that, and the employers know the out of work job seekers will work for less.
Yet you've got others complaining that they didn't get jobs because they were over-qualified. Which one is it?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yet you've got others complaining that they didn't get jobs because they were over-qualified. Which one is it?
When they say you are over qualified. They mean, They cant pay you want you want, and if they hired you at less, You will sonn find a company that will pay you what you want and you then leave. Wasting companies time training you if they did hire you at a lower wage.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmas View Post
When they say you are over qualified. They mean, They can't pay you want you need or want, and if they hired you at less, You will soon find a company that will pay you what you want and you then leave. Wasting companies time training you if they did hire you at a lower wage.
Excuse me, here we go again, another site where the same statement are made "Over Qualified" , "Too old to retrain", "Not enough Experience" and where is there any security working for corporate companies today?. Thousand's of people looking for the same job!. Sorry not to be picking on anyone out there but to this dilemma I can only make the same recommendation that I have made in several posts in the employment and work forums. That is for any one out there that can't find working their chosen fields, to consider the niche that at age 70 I have found, yea it is self employment ( so what's wrong with that ?). Its not really expensive to get into , its not really hard work , yea it is a little dirty, ( no worse then polishing your own vehicle,) but we all have to take a bath every night !. The job / Business I am talking about is restoring the finish on those clear plastic lenses that the mfg. are putting on the new cars and truck. Take a look at the trucks passing you or following you on the highway and the car in the shopping malls, notice how many there are with clouded lenses , causing poor lighting when you're driving at night. There is an easy process to restore these lenses, it doesn't take going back to college for years , it doesn't take many month's in night school classes . With about $350.00 worth of equipment, a vehicle , and a phone call I can explain the process to you (And its FREE). or you can check out some of my earlier post on this subject. There is work and a need for this work all over the country and from what i have see in my traveling the Western states, not many people doing it and even if I were to work 7 day's a week I could only do maybe 1% of the vehicles in one state. I see time and time again postings where some one has been out of work for years and can't find anything to support himself or his family. Well I retired ( yes! from self employment ) 3 yrs ago from a catering business that I not only built the equipment to do the cooking , all this because in 1990 after getting lund damage from 34 yrs in the auto body trade found my self in the same position of many of you now , "To old to retrain, to old for medial jobs , because I most likely would not stay with the company thereby wasting their time ( I heard all the stories). Rather then complain I took it as a good thing , I knew I had to work to support my family and I did, while even catering for the same people who didn't want to hire me . Here I go again long winded, sorry. but the fact is that the job market has changed , people really need to think outside the box , get inventive. While there will still be some good job as the market comes back? take it as a chance to be adventurous ( You are not working at present ? ), and take charge of your life, you don't need education with a BS degree and things like that , just the willingness and determination to succeed ,( Other wise call a push) This sounds easy and it is , I only have 10 th grade education, all my trade knowledge/ work experience has been self taught. Why wait for a $10-$12.00 hr job when you can be making $30-$50.00 per hr. ( I charge $25.00 per vehicle) on your own working as many or as few hours as you want, DM me if you like .

Last edited by Fighter 1; 03-29-2012 at 08:26 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
To the OP: I hate to burst your bubble, but it sounds like you're in a career field that is oversupplied with talent. You're not the first. Lots of people go to college and prepare for careers, and end up with zilch. I'd humbly suggest you try something else. As you get older you'll meet all kinds of people with college educations in psychology, music, history, that are not using their education at all. This is why, IMHO, much of college is a waste of time. Better to get a job in a career field you think you'd like, and then if it looks like a degree would help you to a better job, then get the education. Why? Some people have gotten the education and a job in a field they thought they'd like, tried it for a year, and hated it.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Entry level jobs should be for college graduates. Looks like employers don't know what "Entry Level" is anymore.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,664 times
They are looking for an unarmed security guard over here. 5 years experience required and for $10.00 per hour.

I can show you the listing by PM if you want to see it.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
They are looking for an unarmed security guard over here. 5 years experience required and for $10.00 per hour.

I can show you the listing by PM if you want to see it.
Unarmed security is customer service. The guys at the gatehouse in my neighborhood are unarmed. Their duties:

Greet residents with a wave and a smile

Open the gate for USPS/UPS/FedEx in their respective logo'ed company vehicles/uniforms, emergency vehicles, and the water/electric/cable/gas company people when they present appropriate ID.

Greet guests--if they are on a residents "permanent guest list," verify ID and admit them. If they are on the temporary guest list, write down ID info and admit them. If they are not on a guest list, call the homeowner to verify the guest is expected. If yes, treat like temporary guest list. If no, turn the vehicle away.

Notify police of any suspicious activities they observe.

So tell me, why should someone who has less duties and responsibility than the average receptionist be paid more than $10 an hour? (Guard house has heat/ac, color cable TV, a roof over where cars pull up so when it's raining the guard doesn't get wet, private bathroom, mini-fridge, uniforms are provided. Pretty cushy job in my opinion.)

Old 04-01-2012, 06:48 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,506 times
because hiring-managers, job owners, bosses, are selfish, greedy people who don't care about the consumer or their employees, only their money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment