Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
At 34 I think I have come to realize that I do have some limitations that will make achieving success even more difficult.

And it sucks!
Even if you do have some sort of Disability/Disease/Disorder/etc. that's legitimately holding you back, I find that simply living in denial of it while pushing yourself hard brings out far more of your potential than constantly making excuses about your shortcomings due to the disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
With such little input of effort here, maybe that could used to serve as a good reflection of how much effort you put forth in real life. That may be a good explanation why you can't seem to go very far in the real world. Sure, you may be smart as you claim... Put forth a little elbow grease and maybe you can utilize those smarts. Being smart doesn't mean jack unless you're willing to go beyond lifting a finger.
What is with you and others belief that a person cannot separate different functions of their life?

Just yesterday, I was doubled over ill at my house, and was STILL working from home, even though I wasnt being paid for it, getting a project done that was hoisted on me right before I left the day before as an emergency. This is for an hourly temp job that I have no benefits, or no idea whether Ill even get offered a full time job for.

You have no idea the effort and hard work Ive put in to every position Ive had. Thus far, it hasnt paid off one lick, outside of getting promoted to supervisor at a restaurant, and getting hired on full time from my perma temp job just before the office closed up and laid everyone off.

Quote:
Sure, because standardized tests measure all areas of intellect. For all we know, you may be able to solve complete trig problems in your head, without the faintest clue of how to properly balance a checkbook. And your sentence isn't structured properly to convey the idea you are attempting to express.
I have never seen an intelligence test that measures verbal expression. In fact, that part is actually tossed out of many tests as part of the final score altogether. Verbal comprehension, however, I have seen measured.

By the way, I can promise that intelligence has NEVER been measured by any test based on conversational postings on a message board. I take absolutely no care in what I am writing, in so much as what Im saying can be understood. I write posts quickly during lulls at work and without editing save for stuff I catch immediatley.

Quote:
I never saw the results. If I were to brag about some hypothetical tests my parents likely paid for, it wouldn't matter because I have no proof. I certainly wouldn't be bragging to a bunch of people online about it.
I wasnt bragging. It was said in the thread that intelligence basically equates to more money, and I simply stated an empirical case which it absolutely didnt. I only used a percentile I tested in to show that I actually am tested as smart (not simply claiming it, since Im sure most people "think" they are smart).

Quote:
And as long as I can make 60-70K in the factory, I think I will scamper on back. The world still places some marginal value for such a skill set, so I'm not complaining. Cause smart people don't work in factories or anything
By "scamper back", I was not suggesting that smart people dont work in factories, I was suggesting it because they might actually care more about your judgement of what is intelligent.

Quote:
And there are two kinds of smarts... Book smarts, and real world smart. People of the former often don't like to admit the importance of the latter, unless they possess both. I'd like to think I hold a good balance of both. Received plenty of scholarships and awards in HS because of my above average math scores on "standardized tests". What do ya know, I get to use those skills on my job as well.
So, here, you "brag" and its perfectly acceptable?

Quote:
If you think so highly of yourself, maybe you're bragging to the wrong crowd. How about convincing a potential employer of that, they tend to offer more of a material reward for such abilities.
I know Im "bragging to the wrong crowd". I wasnt trying to "brag" to anyone here, I was trying to say that thus far, being smart and hard working has done nothing but get me more work and tighter deadlines, not raises, promotions, or anything of the sort.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
At what age did you realize you are not going to get to be what you wanted to be when you grow up? whether because of the economy or not the right connections?

(I don't mean like being a movie star or rock star)
The only thing that stops YOU from attaining your dreams is YOU.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Thats ridiculous.

So, being 6'0, I can attain my dream of being a center in the NBA?

So, with two medical conditions that would "4F" me, I can attain my dream of being a Marine Corps Drill Sergeant?

If I was born with down syndrome, I can attain my dream of being a medical doctor?

Seriously. Every body is limited in some ways by what they are going to be able to do.

A short person will NEVER be a center in the NBA, a slow person will never be an olympic sprinter, someone with psychological problems will probably have trouble holding any job, someone born without an arm will not be an infantryman in the military.

Hell, my brother broke his arm, requiring a metal plate, and was refused from Navy service because of it.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
I'm with Randomdude, that is a crock. I've done everything I was "supposed" to do and a whole lot more. My dreams are shattered. Sure, I made some bad decisions. But just because you're qualified and want something, have everything "going for you", intelligence, etc., and supposedly have the advantage of living in the U.S. doesn't mean crap.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Oh, heavens - not more of this "if you believe it, it will happen!" nonsense.

As stated above, there is simply no way for people to overcome a mountain of limitations that they face in life, from health to socio-economic circumstances. This goes for the 5 foot tall guy who wants to play in the NBA to the out-of-work guy who's career was destroyed by a bunch of sociopaths. In the end, luck heavily affects our lives. Look at all the idiots who got to where they are thanks to "connections" - luck - and then look at all the decent people ground under because they lack such good fortune.

Never trade away your luck for skill - it won't pay off.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
A usual we have two extremes. One guy says you can
Do anything and others say it's all luck. Truth is somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
A usual we have two extremes. One guy says you can
Do anything and others say it's all luck. Truth is somewhere in the middle.
Sometimes its in the middle, but often its nothing but luck, while its almost never nothing but raw determination.

Guys like Shawn Bradley, Gheorge Mureson, and Manute Bol, are (or were) millionaires because basically they grew to 7'5+. Dispite practically being able to stand on the floor and dunk, none of them had any particuliarly decent basketball skill at all (Bradley was more famous for getting "posterized" by much smaller opponents dunking on him), outside of blocking shots, which was more a side effect of their size.

There are countless CEOs who are millionaires right now because they inherited the job, and there are countless millionaires who never worked a day in their life.

However, youll almost never find the guy who came to work every day, and did his best amongst those ranks. That guy will toil away for years, possibly get to middle management if hes lucky enough not to be laid off and experience bouts of career destroying unemployment, and retire without the slightest of sounds.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
I didn't have any ambitions at all, did ok at school, got a job in the local supermarket, spent my money on rubbish, saved most of it and was happy enough.

Sat down with my elder brother one day when i was 19 and had probably the longest conversation i'd had with him in about 5 years and after that i knew what i wanted to do.

20 years later i'm still doing it.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Oh, it's not all luck, but life is a lottery where the number of tickets each person gets is determined by luck. You can have total morons who get handed so many tickets that they cannot help but win, while other people can work their tail off just for a single ticket that ends up amounting to nothing. Now, sure, if you take your tickets and waste them, you're definitely not going to win, but just because you earned a ticket doesn't mean you'll win either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment