Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times

Advertisements

28 going on 29 and I've been clueless since graduating high school.

During grade school years, I had aspirations of becoming a cop, a fighter-pilot, or some other type of bad-@ ss title.

But as the years dragged on, math was a Mt Everest of a challenge to obtain the education required to be an officer in some branch of the armed forces.
Law enforcement, bad credit, poor shape, or poor mental health shot that down.

However, the most I managed to accomplish was get a guard card and a CDL-A within the past 10 years.
Amazingly, these were two job fields I never envisioned myself getting into when I was younger.

As much as I don't particularly care for them, they are a form of an income.
That alone right there has fired me into a new goal:
-Get out of the house and state before I turn 30.

That alone will be a rather large milestone by itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What illness would this be? It seems to not have hampered your ability to get accepted and graduate from college but it really has interfered with your ability to work. I really don't understand.
I dont know what it is, its foiled nearly 20 doctors of differing specialties.

And, it actually grossly interfered with me graduating from college. I lost practically a whole point on my GPA from the middle of my junior year until I graduated because I was in some doctor appointment, test, or extremely ill constantly. I even worked out with a deal with one professor to only show up for classes on test days (this was long before the online class phenomenon). I didnt get sick until into my junior year, so, it didnt effect me getting accepted at all.

It was a little bit easier in school though, I lived like 10 minutes away, and I could set up my classes so that it was like working a part time job. What was really a hassle was ALSO trying to work 40 hours a week on top of that, which I eventually couldnt manage part way through the second half of my senior year.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The articles have real data it just so happens many people read them and don't realize they aren't as smart or talented as the ones in the article getting those jobs.
The articles have misleading data largely out of context.

By the way, if being smart equated to being paid well, Id be in the top 3% of people, which is where my tested IQ lies.

Instead, nobody has chosen to take advantage of my abilities or high level of intellegence, and that has more to do my lack of connections or "certifications", then any level of intellgence.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
education? isn't that like a made job as long as they need teachers? idk my whole family are teachers and principals so i figured it was easy.

Thats a good point. I don't know, it is the most commonly left profession nowdays. It probably depends where you choose to live and how the system is there.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

By the way, if being smart equated to being paid well, Id be in the top 3% of people, which is where my tested IQ lies.

Instead, nobody has chosen to take advantage of my abilities or high level of intellegence, and that has more to do my lack of connections or "certifications", then any level of intellgence.
Being smart does equate to being paid well. Just look at average salaries by university.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 PM

175 posts, read 600,579 times
What a great message thread. I'm 26 years old and I realized that I wouldn't be able to live out my dreams when I was 23 years old. Instead of a mid-life crisis, I had a "quarter-life" crisis. When I was in highschool I formed my plan. I was going to attend college and graduate with a bachelor's of accounting degree and possibly pursue a CPA license. I wanted to work in the accounting field and make a decent salary with benefits a few perks. I wanted to be able to travel for my summer vacations, own a home or a condo, and a nice car.

However, that never materialized. I attempted college twice. The First attempt was at a local private college which I attended for a year (2003-2004). Big mistake, I owe $12k in student loan debt. The second attempt was at a local community college in 2009. I enjoyed the course work and my grades were great.

However, my problem is a financial one. My mother is a single parent of two children (my sister and I). She never went to college and was only a HS graduate. I started working at the age of 14 and I've been supporting my family ever since. My mom never made enough money to fully take care of the household so we live paycheck to paycheck. Even as I type this I make more money at my ****ty customer service job than my mom or my sister does so my income is the core of my family surviving at this time. If my mother was financially able to support me during my "college" years, I could have devoted my life to getting a degree instead of worrying about bills, evictions, or the car breaking down. Living paycheck to paycheck is like living on an edge of a cliff with a knife at your throat.

I'm a single guy with no children but because my mom and sister don't earn enough on their jobs to keep the household afloat, I feel like I inherited a "broke family" that's somehow my responsibility to help take care of.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
22 after graduating from college. A degree in English Literature is not a real degree! People who got the jobs I would have loved "knew someone.".
yea me too, i didn't realize how much nepotism or knowing someone plays into most parts of success, and its more important then what you know, your skills alot of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thats a good point. I don't know, it is the most commonly left profession nowdays. It probably depends where you choose to live and how the system is there.
my mom became a teacher because she couldn't afford to be a lawyer and she hates every single minute of it. anyways alot of people who can't find the jobs they want are working for teach for america i find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Being smart does equate to being paid well. Just look at average salaries by university.
street/common sense smarts maybe more usable..something i don't have

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhawk18 View Post
What a great message thread. I'm 26 years old and I realized that I wouldn't be able to live out my dreams when I was 23 years old. Instead of a mid-life crisis, I had a "quarter-life" crisis. When I was in highschool I formed my plan. I was going to attend college and graduate with a bachelor's of accounting degree and possibly pursue a CPA license. I wanted to work in the accounting field and make a decent salary with benefits a few perks. I wanted to be able to travel for my summer vacations, own a home or a condo, and a nice car.

However, that never materialized. I attempted college twice. The First attempt was at a local private college which I attended for a year (2003-2004). Big mistake, I owe $12k in student loan debt. The second attempt was at a local community college in 2009. I enjoyed the course work and my grades were great.

However, my problem is a financial one. My mother is a single parent of two children (my sister and I). She never went to college and was only a HS graduate. I started working at the age of 14 and I've been supporting my family ever since. My mom never made enough money to fully take care of the household so we live paycheck to paycheck. Even as I type this I make more money at my ****ty customer service job than my mom or my sister does so my income is the core of my family surviving at this time. If my mother was financially able to support me during my "college" years, I could have devoted my life to getting a degree instead of worrying about bills, evictions, or the car breaking down. Living paycheck to paycheck is like living on an edge of a cliff with a knife at your throat.

I'm a single guy with no children but because my mom and sister don't earn enough on their jobs to keep the household afloat, I feel like I inherited a "broke family" that's somehow my responsibility to help take care of.
i have a lot of friends like this .. i like that quote

Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM

417 posts, read 825,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
At what age did you realize you are not going to get to be what you wanted to be when you grow up? whether because of the economy or not the right connections?

(I don't mean like being a movie star or rock star)
Never.

----------

Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:

Being smart never hurts, but what may be even more important is being able to use those smarts to some advantage. Work ethic definitely has a place in the equation. Don't blame others for your shortcomings, no one will take you seriously if you do that. Instead, figure out why YOU aren't taking advantage of your so called "high level of intelligence". For someone who claims to be so smart, why did you misspell intelligence not once, but twice? Sorry, your posts make you appear rather average.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,094 times
Quote:
Between 21 and 22, when I found out I have an illness that will always hand cuff me, and when I found out my degree is not remotely as employable as it was pimped to be, and I ended up taking a temp job for $10 an hour when I graduated college, and never received that "50k offer" I was supposed to get (hell, I STILL havent had a 50k offer, 8 years later).
AMEN...Same boat except I'm 4 years and a semester out of college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment