Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Im sorry I dont think theres anything wrong with wanting to know what your getting into before it happens. Maybe he should of phrased it better, maybe he shouldnt of asked then but I think if your one of those slave driver type people where your job is your life and theres no balance youre probably doing the guy a huge favor. Life is to short to be miserable..
For that level of job, his actions were inexcusable. Now had it been a McJob, that would change the situation. With 8 years of experience, he should have known better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Talking Lol...

half the problem is that most of the folks who replied to original op don't see any problem w/the questions this fella asked. That's where the problem is. 'Uh...how little do I have to work to rake in my salary'... lolol...perfect candidate, right?
Koale

Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Vacation? No thanks, boss

Unused vacation days: Why workers take a pass - May. 18, 2012

Here in America companies aren't required to offer paid time off to their workers, buy they are in China.

Pretty damn bad when a communist country makes us look bad in the "how do you treat you employees" category.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM

134 posts, read 367,508 times
Maybe you don't quite understand how this works.

A "job" is something people generally do not want to do, this is why you compensate them to do it. If people didn't get paid to do jobs (with the extreme rare exception) they would do something else. It doesn't have to be video games or television or bumming around, it could be working, but they're not going to actively work towards enriching someone else if they don't have to.

Employers want to receive good value for the compensation that they're providing, hence they ask questions, do background checks, try to get a feel for the potential hire. Compensation is adjusted to be as low as possible to retain the employee (and ideally, get them in the most efficient state).

Employees want to receive adequate compensation for their work. It's taboo however to ask about that compensation ahead of time though, because then you seem "lazy". Employees will (rightly so) attempt to get the maximum amount they feel they can get for their work.

Given "normal" unemployment numbers, this system balances out well. However fairly small swings in job demand/supply can very very quickly skew these figures.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Vacation? No thanks, boss

Unused vacation days: Why workers take a pass - May. 18, 2012

Here in America companies aren't required to offer paid time off to their workers, buy they are in China.

Pretty damn bad when a communist country makes us look bad in the "how do you treat you employees" category.

Insane post, unless of course you wish for the wage levels of China, which are a tiny fraction of US minimum wage. Or the lack of regulation, the un hygenic conditions of the worker dorms, food supply, etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
I guess reasonable minds can agree to disagree, but I just don't get the blind unwavering allegiance to the employers. Employers are not always in the right, and are not these flawless, benevolent entities that must never be questioned or criticized. I understand the need to "play by the rules" but never understood the whole "Company is never wrong" attitiude

Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM

155 posts, read 244,404 times
You don't ask, you don't get.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
Maybe the minimum hours of work put in, but that's where I stop agreeing with you.

Everyone is going to look for vacation days. It's normal. There are some companies that don't even give a week of vacation in a year and if it's a hard job, it's normal to ask for some days off.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM

155 posts, read 244,404 times
This society has matured to the point where I think we should relax our ideas about work. Back in the late 90s they were saying that we would be able to work from a mountaintop with our laptop or at least work from home. Nah, nothing ever changes here. It's the same old processes over and over again, most of them antiquated.
100 years from now the antagonist in the OP's post may be the norm!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I think it's the way he asked.

I don't think the asking about vacation is unreasonable.

But the MINIMUM HOURS? Seriously? Seriously? Why not just ask,

"What is the bare minimum I have to do around here to get paid?"

That guy was either clueless or an ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment