Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:02 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times

Advertisements

My main concern is Will you hire me? I find that companies that tout their great benefits in the interview aren't going to hire me. And why would anyone out of work for several months or years want time off right away? OK, back to the question, what happened to people who want to work for a living? Laid off and unable to get employers to talk to them because they are too old.

Last edited by pvande55; 05-22-2012 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Add line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM

981 posts, read 1,621,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it's the way he asked.

I don't think the asking about vacation is unreasonable.

But the MINIMUM HOURS? Seriously? Seriously? Why not just ask,

"What is the bare minimum I have to do around here to get paid?"

That guy was either clueless or an ass.
It is a completely legitimate question. In my field of work, the minimum hours of work can go from a standard 40 to 84 in a drop of a hat. People have lives outside of work. And a lot of people do not want to live to work. Work is just to support themselves and nothing more.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
It is a completely legitimate question. In my field of work, the minimum hours of work can go from a standard 40 to 84 in a drop of a hat. People have lives outside of work. And a lot of people do not want to live to work. Work is just to support themselves and nothing more.
I think it's important to find out what the working environment is like in an interview. There are better ways to ask that question.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's just the way it is now.

employers hold all the trump cards.
I am honestly sickened by people like you, the op, bobtn, and all the others that toe the company line and fight against your fellow workers. This is why unions are going to have to make a return so employers cannot abuse and maltreat their employees. This isn't a damn charity. These people have a right to know what their job will entail. You are not doing them any damn favors with the job. It is a labor contract and it is mutual. Deal with it!

This whole post represents the modern attitude of employers towards their employees as job overlords.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
My little rant but honestly...what ever happened to those who actually are willing to work hard for what they earn instead of being concerned about how much vacation time they get or the minimum amount of hours they need to put in.

I had an interview today for an engineer in our firm that's applying to work under me as an operations liaison, he's been here for about 8 years and he's a nice guy. Interview went pretty well, had a couple other candidates I was also going to interview but I thought this guy would be a pretty good fit for the job considering his skill set. Anyway towards the end of the interview, I ask him if he has any questions and he asks right off the bat "So how many more vacation hours would I receive and what's the minimum amount of hours I'd have to put it each week?". REALLY?!? WHY would you ask this for a job you don't even have, it puts a bad taste in my mouth. It sounds to me as if you really aren't committed to what you're doing but rather want to get more time off for a vacation and want to work the least hours possible.

Just had to vent.

I thought this was really funny. Who would ever think someone would hire them if they start out by asking what the minimum they have to do is?

And why the hell would someone apply to a position without doing the research to know the hours/culture before they actually interview?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I think it's important to find out what the working environment is like in an interview. There are better ways to ask that question.
It is irrelevant how it is asked. The man wanted and needed to know the minimum hours worked and the vacation benefits. It is a vital part of his work experience.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
It is irrelevant how it is asked. The man wanted and needed to know the minimum hours worked and the vacation benefits. It is a vital part of his work experience.
I get what you are saying, but you see how it creates a bad impression.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but you see how it creates a bad impression.
I see how it might create a bad impression for company stooges. If I were interviewing for the position, I would consider it a rational question. I would want for the potential employee to know all aspects of the job so we could be on the same team as quick as possible.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
I see how it might create a bad impression for company stooges. If I were interviewing for the position, I would consider it a rational question. I would want for the potential employee to know all aspects of the job so we could be on the same team as quick as possible.
Would you really want someone working for you who only ever does the minimum?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,942,575 times
He just posed the question in an awkward way. The better question would've been, "What are the average hours the position will require?" and if he already has a benefit package with the company he's interviewing with, "Will this affect my current benefits - such as health insurance or vacation/PTO time accumulation?"

The OP is going to end up with a slick talking employee who knows how to interview vs someone with actual skills needed for the day-to-day work if they're going to be this nit-picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment