Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM

491 posts, read 472,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
In the corporate world, absolutely.

Maybe it is just in the functions I have been a part of, but in corporate IT/Finance/Marketing, this is true. I don't have experience in anything else, so I can only talk to what I know.
so you're speaking on purely anecdotal evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
so you're speaking on purely anecdotal evidence.
Yeah, it's truly an asinine statement. Of course he thinks that b/c he only hangs out in rarefied air. It's like people who say "economy is fabulous, everyone I know is rich". No concept of reality.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
People don't work for free. This isn't about him volunteering himself to you or company's benefit. He wants to know what he is going to get out of the position. And I damn well support that.

I agree with you !!

He isn't going to be working there because he has nothing better to do with his life.

I will do this for you (work wise) and you will pay me for my expertise. Yes, I want a paid vacation, I am not a slave. Yes, I want medical benefits. That is part of my salary.

If you don't give that to me, I will get a job elsewhere, because another company will.

You are not the only company in the world to work for.

I hate employers. This whole corporate thing we have goin on here in America is so annoying and pretentious.

No, I am not going to pretend I want to work for you so badly that I will work for peanuts, and no medical benefits.....are you kidding me????

Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
What is the problem? I also asked this kind of questions. I have a family, and I would not agree to work 70-80 hours or nights.

Agreed.

But, in the OP's post, it is not so much about the question of hours as to how they asked it. Asking what the normal / typical / expected hours are is a valid question, but when someone phrases it as, "what's the minimum amount of hours I'd have to put it each week," then it can come off as sounding as if they want to know what the minimum is that they have to do in this job - which can indicate a certain lack of motivation or enthusiasm for the position.

Not a bad question...just a poorly worded one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
There are plenty of hard working individuals with great attitudes that do quite well in life that don't feel the need to play kissy face with the boss.

Yep. Although many people unhappy with their current life situation seem like they need someone to blame for their situation. "companies" and "bosses" and "hiring managers" make good targets.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Agreed.

But, in the OP's post, it is not so much about the question of hours as to how they asked it. Asking what the normal / typical / expected hours are is a valid question, but when someone phrases it as, "what's the minimum amount of hours I'd have to put it each week," then it can come off as sounding as if they want to know what the minimum is that they have to do in this job - which can indicate a certain lack of motivation or enthusiasm for the position.

Not a bad question...just a poorly worded one.

A terrible question,as how it comes off, IMO, was no doubt, the interviewee's intent. How little can I do without being fired?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Whatever happened to employers that actually cared about their employees?

There are actually plenty of them out there...but no one really ever mentions them. Employers are like anyone else, some are great, some are horrible, a lot are somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Does the OP really think that employees should not be allowed to know the fundamental facts about their job?

If you really think that is the main point of the OP's post, then you are way off base.

Again, it is the way in which the question was asked. The way people say things can affect how their message is received.

For example, say you ask someone you know how they spend their weekends (not an interview-related question, just a general one) - if they say, "I spend a lot of time out socializing," chances are you are going to perceive them differently than if they responded, "I go to bars, get drunk with my buddies and hook up with random women." The latter may be the case, but how they choose to communicate their response is going to affect your perception of them.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
"what's the minimum amount of hours I'd have to put it each week,"
My question through this whole thread has been: is this literally what the interviewee asked word for word, or is it just what the OP heard?

It's very easy for a question like "What type of schedule can I expect" or "How many hours should I be putting in for a typical week" to turn into "He asked me how long I will force him to here here every day!!!! What a lazy bum!!" when the interviewer is worried about losing a great candidate by honestly revealing the amount of hours that will probably need to be put in. Cue the justifications using sophisticated language and leaning very heavily on "management experience" and you have a recipe for the interviewee to be widely perceived as a lazy, liberal, good-for-nothing, unambitious child who doesn't deserve the almighty and life changing privilege of serving under the interviewer.

If he asks, tell him. No nonsense, simple as that.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
re: What ever happened to people that want to WORK for a living? That's easy to answer I already touched on this in a thread I created recently. There is no incentive to work and companies have made it that way so they get what they deserve...workers that don't give a crap and workers that do as little as possible. If you want to pay as little as possible and not offer any perks, good raises, or opportunities - you get back as little as possible.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Bosses let their most valuable workers know that they are important all the time. That is one of the ways you help retain top talent. If you never have heard that from a boss, then you definitely are not the best in your group.
Lol. Only a stupid moron of a boss would give employees cards to play by patting them on the head. I get my vilification from people down stream of me. If customers, clients or coworkers believe Im effective and efficient, thats all that matters to me, not some stupid boss handing out gold stars.

Quote:
You didn't strike a nerve, you are just oblivious to what goes on at anything but the front line.
Ive never been on a "front line" since I graduated college, Ive been mostly in corporate accounting and finance, smart guy. The difference is I know what Im doing, you dont.

Quote:
I know how much value in dollars every employee is adding on a monthly basis. That is part of being a manager.
Depending on the business, this could range from close to true, to complete BS. Id lean towards BS. The only people who are directly measurable are salesmen and assembly/manufacturing type jobs where one person is responsible for a quantifiable task. It is impossible to measure individual employee effort in projects that are not quantifiable, such as in a cost center, or a "group effort" such as a fast food restaurant.

Quote:
Then they have poor management.
Thats freaking hilarious, because Jim Skinner, McDonalds CEO, has been lauded as one of the best in the Fortune 500, and amazingly, he never once has advocated not allowing McDonalds crew members near customers or equipment because of the potential liability.

Im starting to feel pretty bad for the company that hired you.

Quote:
You are speaking to situations where it seems management does not exist.
Management existed in ALL of the situations. However, they had some nit wit like you sitting behind the desk who felt that paying people the least possible wage to do a highly critical job was a smart idea.

Quote:
Is there a risk? Obviously, but those situations are vastly minimized by good management.
Management has nothing to do with the quality level of the employees.

Quote:
I didn't realize making over $100k means you know how to hire people? Anyone who has worked in a professional environment and is over 40 years old makes over $100k.
Where did you get this ridiculous garbage from? My ex boss had been in professional environments for decades, was in her mid 40's with an MBA, and I cant imagine she was making much more then 50k.

My ex boss a couple jobs before that, CFO, CPA made 79k, and had been a CPA for over 20 years, and with the company 10, and was in her 50's.

Im beginning to belief you have a serious disconnect from reality.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
If you want to pay as little as possible and not offer any perks, good raises, or opportunities - you get back as little as possible.

Thats my motto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment