Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
And I've never heard of ANY CFO that makes under six figures. With that much experience as a CPA and the additional responsibilities of a CFO, I'd laugh at any offer under the six figure mark.
I dont know what the CFO of my company 2 companies ago made, but Id venture it was probably under 100k. Three companies ago, I know for a fact what she made because I had access to payroll information to construct productivity reports (shhhhh dont tell Hsnq, because Ive never done such things).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
In my opinion, either the companies you're working for are lowballing the hell out of their employees or the employees don't realize what their skill sets can command in the corporate world. I believe the CPA's we have in our firm make in excess of $70K/ year and the CFO makes many, many times that.
The companies around here probably are lowballing us, but its also because they can I guess. Its not uncommon to see staff level jobs for 35k or less being offered with CPA requirements around here.

I was just recently researching Manchester, NH, and I saw a number of jobs being offered around 50k in the state, that would be $10 an hour jobs here, and the cost of living really isnt that much different between the two, especially considering New Hampshire has no state sales or income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 PM

627 posts, read 1,296,095 times
How dare a person ask a question pertaining to his life?!!

He's not a new employee, so you have to know if he's a good worker or a skater.

Maybe he felt comfortable enough in the company he's work for, for the past 8 years, to ask. He may have a good reason. He may want to know if it is going to affect his family time and quality of life.

Does that make him worthy of having a post dedicated to painting him as someone who doesn't want to work for a living?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
As a hiring manager, I would have no problem with the questions that were asked at the interview. The candidate was asked if he had any questions and he posed one that was obviously important to him. The answer would give him all available info and enable him to determine whether or not he would pursue the opportunity. Maybe he didn't want to waste anyone's time if the additional benefits were not enough for him to want to make a move. Maybe he has a young family and his current hours/vacation are what he needs right now.

To me, there is a world of difference between an engineer with 8 years of solid work experience asking about the benefits that come with an internal job switch and a just out of school grad that asks about vacation time and what have you at the initial interview. I don't see anything in the OP that would indicate that this engineer has no desire to work for a living.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM

392 posts, read 704,364 times
The guy probably smart as a whip and can produce in 30 hours what someone else can in 40-50. The OP says his main duty is to make his company money, and if that guy can do it in 30 hours a week, then what's the problem?

It sounds like a bruised ego is the main offense here.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM

415 posts, read 615,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Whatever happened to those who actually want to work?
They grew up, got old and died.
The past couple of generations are spoiled, lazy, complacent, apathetic and narcissistic.

That was MY vent-rant.
And those who wanted to work back when my grandparents were young were rewarded for wanting to work. I tried to have my grandparents work ethic. Not only are employees selfish, but so are employers. They want you to be able to do everything, and do the jobs of two people, and then they just throw you away like trash. I've worked since age 16, and that is the norm. Give my best and then get kicked to the curb, all that work and all that effort and going the extra mile - something that got my grandfather ahead - meant nothing. So why bother? If I work that hard I'll just be treated like a slave and laid off to boot.

Want hard working people who are loyal? Start treating your employees decent and reward the hard working ones, not the ones who are best at kissing butt. I'm tired of reading these "no one wants to work" posts. Employers in my experience are jerks, they treat their people like crap, if you give them your best it is meaningless, pointless, and you will be the first in line for the layoffs.

My grandparents might have been hard working - all four of them - but they actually saw rewards for being hardworking - promotions, raises, vacation days, bonuses, etc. Plus they were not laid off because of some incompetent CEO. What has my parents generation on down gotten? Told that we're too old, to young, we don't have enough experience, employers want to pay $10 an hour to people with bachelor's degress; massive layoffs, expected to work 60+ hours a week for peanuts, no pay raises, no vacation, bosses who whine when you go to the bathroom, and layoffs as the company solution to CEO ineptitude.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Then how do you explain the poor work ethic of the well paid union workers (working just the very minimum of what is required of them)? Especially the longtime ones protected by their seniority.
I worked 37 years as a maintainence of way union worker for the BNSF railway.Do NOT lump me or my co-workers into your pat little "union workers are lazy" dribble...........you could not even begin to hack what I have done boy........
Our craft has doubled its efficency twice since I started there.........

Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 AM

134 posts, read 367,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Would you really want someone working for you who only ever does the minimum?
14 is the minimum. Brian over there has 35 pieces of flair.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Show it by giving someone a real raise not some 2 percent that equates to just about nothing.
In many white collar positions, significant salary increases usually don't come from annual raises (assuming you are not including bonuses in the equation); most people get that larger bump in salary with a promotion.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
The OP says his main duty is to make his company money, and if that guy can do it in 30 hours a week, then what's the problem?

It sounds like a bruised ego is the main offense here.
If he can make the company the same amount of money in 30 hours that most make in 50 hours, why isn't he working 50 hours to make more money??? Imagine how much more money he could be making the company if he doubled to 60 hours per week! Better yet, cap his annual raise at 2% and the company will make a fortune!!!

Unfortunately, these lines I say with great sarcasm are disgustingly true. Tons of companies out there with record profits can thank these practices for their fat cash reserves.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
My youngest son will work his ass off- He wants certain things and certain freedoms- He has figured out on his own that he can have what ever society has to offer if he puts in the effort- He is young and strong..but- a time will come when he will fade...I try to encourage him NOT to work so hard and use his real abilities and talents-- but he does not have faith in himself--if he used what he has - he could set him self up for life...and not have to work in his old age---BUT as I mentioned he is young and strong and does not see the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment