Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Someone who's serious about finding a job
Aye, there's the rub.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
A few years ago, when the recession hit and the stock market fell below 7000, people were getting laid off and companies were closing. I was one of those casualties, losing my job in 2010.

From what I could tell, there were so many people looking for jobs, that employers could pay less for a more qualified worker. It still seems that way today. So then why is the stock market rising again? If people are still out of work, or taking jobs for less pay, then they have to be buying less. Does this effect the stock market at all?

I can't quite understand this whole thing - less jobs, less money for workers but stock market is rising and recession is over.
Doesn't the bailout have something to do with the stock market rising?

Maybe companies don't need as many employees - just adding an employee does not mean they add value to the company.

There simply getting greedier and hungry - I guess it can only go for so long shedding staff and making one person do multiple jobs, outsourcing, deskilling until a company starts to lose money because they don't have expertise to carry out work or enough people when they get lots of business, or they lose reputation do to mistakes, errors, poor quality - and then they have start hiring people with the expertise, and improving their quality - or indeed the better people are leaving them to work elsewhere.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The unemployment rate is still under 10%, that means 90% of people have jobs, and are spending their money.
No, it doesn't. The unemployment rate is 8.1%, but the employment rate is 58.3%. So only about 60% of people have jobs.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 PM

28 posts, read 91,480 times
The end of a recession doesn't mean that things are back to where they were before the recession started. It just means things have stopped getting worse.

It can take many years for things to recover back to where they were. Or in some extreme cases like Japan, many decades.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenontv View Post
It can take many years for things to recover back to where they were. Or in some extreme cases like Japan, many decades.
Or in some cases, you never return to pre-recession levels.

That will be the case for the US. That does suck for the casualties, but if there's any consolation many more folks will be joining them soon based on the economic indicators.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:51 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You obviously don't know what the definition of a recession is.
Yeah, three successive quarters of decline... blah, blah,blah.

But the truth of the matter is Real Unemployment Rate Is 23%, Not 8.1%

Quote:
Hence, the latest report says that 8.1% of Americans are currently unemployed.

But that is not a real picture of what is going on in the American job market. The BLS figures do not take into account the millions of Americans that have had to take part time jobs because they have not been able to find full time work, those who have exhausted their unemployment benefits and those who are so discouraged that they’ve given up looking for work.
Under the darkness of the Booooooooooooosh years I had trouble finding labor employees for $16/hr (equivalent to $20.49 today according to Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics and I paid 100% of health insurance costs) yet today I can get no end of applicants offering $10/hr while not offering any benefits.

And from my perspective it isn't getting better it's getting worse. A lot worse and I can't wait until next year after Obama wins a second term. It will be like eating popcorn while watching a horror movie for free.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:00 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, three successive quarters of decline... blah, blah,blah.

But the truth of the matter is Real Unemployment Rate Is 23%, Not 8.1%

Under the darkness of the Booooooooooooosh years I had trouble finding labor employees for $16/hr (equivalent to $20.49 today according to Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics and I paid 100% of health insurance costs) yet today I can get no end of applicants offering $10/hr while not offering any benefits.

And from my perspective it isn't getting better it's getting worse. A lot worse and I can't wait until next year after Obama wins a second term. It will be like eating popcorn while watching a horror movie for free.

It's far more accurate to say that we never recovered (and never will recover) from the last recession than to say we're still in a recession. Instead, since 209, we essentially stopped declining and leveled off.

At least in the short term, the folks who have jobs likely won't be losing them. However, the folks who lost their jobs will likely never find one, at least nowhere near what they were making before.

Oh, and it won't matter who's reelected. The world economy is one big powder keg. It just needs a trigger. If you look at everything happening in the world (worst drought since the 1930s, potentially huge war about to take off in the Middle East, China & Russia trading Crude Oil with Yuan currency, QE3, Fiscal Cliff 2013, EuroZone Crisis, etc.), we really have a perfect storm brewing that people seem to ignore.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-15-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,332 times
there is still a damn lot of competition

Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,312 times
nicet4 repped.

And Weatherman, don't forget that China has now begun a military buildup! With OUR MONEY and technology that we gave them for free!
Yeee Hawww, wait till they pull our chain with those bonds they own.

Thanks Republicans!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Thanks Republicans!
And would you like to explain to the class how the republicans single highhandedly brought on this chain of events? Last I recall, it was a Democrat who signed NAFTA, but this is not the politics forum, so you might want to take your ideas over there...

And Governments don't "give them technology for free". Corporations might, with the expectation that they will do the work much cheaper. If you've ever seen pictures of what a Chinese plant looks like, you'll notice that machinery they tend to work with is quite outdated by our standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment