Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,312 times

Advertisements

Sure. I've explained several times here, and won't go into detail again since you haven't been paying attention, that in 2001 there was a massive wave of deregulation, laws actually written by the lobbyists themselves sitting in Republican legislators' offices. And in fact a giant tax incentive to ENCOURAGE JOB OUTSOURCING to India and Red China. For more please see my other posts.

Of course nobody ever said that governments "give them technology for free". But this technology, which cost us hundreds of $billions and decades to develop, was handed over to Red China for free. I used to think that conservatives didn't -like- Communism. Now we all know different!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Do you really believe things have gotten better. They have improved a bit, but not much. Still a ton of foreclosures and short sales, U6 uemployment last time I checked was 15%, that's the real UE number BTW, the way it used to be calculated before Clinton changed it. Banks aren't lending so how have things really improved? Recession hah! I was in investing and finance for 6 years and we laugh at the crap they tell people. The real deal is global depression unless you are Chinese or Indian.

Let me kindly educate a few of you. The stock market goes up when the US dollar goes down, it doesn't give a damn about the economy nearly as much as Bubble Ben Bernake muking with the endless supply of monoply money the Federal Reserve prints. Don't believe me look at a chart of USD, the DX on Nymex and compare it to the SnP or Dow and verify it for yourself. And with Bubble Ben telegraphing rates won't go up for 3 more years last week, the market is going up, because when you keep interest rates artifically low it hurts the country's currency. So we will continue to see a weak dollar, some increased exports, no interest for savers, market goes up, and we are still out of work. People in the know, not me, and not you have told me it will take another 5 years for the economy to recovery regardless if you vote for Romney or Obama because both serve their corporate masters, whom fund their campains! Hope that made some sense.

I apologize if this came off as arrogrant, but I am really passionate about the BS I hear from politicans and government types, about it's improving. BS!

Here is a great website to follow that speaks the truth http://www.shadowstats.com/charts/employment

Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Here's one theory:

Companies boosted profits without hiring this spring - Economy Watch

I'm one of "those" casualties. I'm doing 3 different jobs. Something's got to give. I'm burned out and frustrated but there's nowhere to go. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't think things will ever go back to the way they were.
Bingo friend. My last job I was fired from I was doing the job of 3-4 people. Since I was a salaried sales person I was expected to work weekends too, at times, on top of already pulling 60 hour work week M-F.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Do you really believe things have gotten better. They have improved a bit, but not much. Still a ton of foreclosures and short sales, U6 uemployment last time I checked was 15%, that's the real UE number BTW, the way it used to be calculated before Clinton changed it. Banks aren't lending so how have things really improved? Recession hah! I was in investing and finance for 6 years and we laugh at the crap they tell people. The real deal is global depression unless you are Chinese or Indian.

Let me kindly educate a few of you. The stock market goes up when the US dollar goes down, it doesn't give a damn about the economy nearly as much as Bubble Ben Bernake muking with the endless supply of monoply money the Federal Reserve prints. Don't believe me look at a chart of USD, the DX on Nymex and compare it to the SnP or Dow and verify it for yourself. And with Bubble Ben telegraphing rates won't go up for 3 more years last week, the market is going up, because when you keep interest rates artifically low it hurts the country's currency. So we will continue to see a weak dollar, some increased exports, no interest for savers, market goes up, and we are still out of work. People in the know, not me, and not you have told me it will take another 5 years for the economy to recovery regardless if you vote for Romney or Obama because both serve their corporate masters, whom fund their campains! Hope that made some sense.

I apologize if this came off as arrogrant, but I am really passionate about the BS I hear from politicans and government types, about it's improving. BS!

Here is a great website to follow that speaks the truth Employment
No need to apologize, you're absolutely correct.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
After almost six months of looking for work, just landed a job yesterday. But was talking to the headhunter who placed me in the job and she told me that I was lucky. The door on job openings is shutting for the 4th quarter and probably won't open even a little bit until after the election. My headhunter said that she already has a list of jobs she will be looking for, but the start date is not until after January 1st.

So things were improving a little bit, but will be stalling for the next three months.
Thanks that is good info. and makes sense. Why not wait and see whom gets elected and how that will affect business. I don't gamble but Intrade is often right and they show Obama a clear winner Intrade - Home

Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,312 times
Everything you said Colorado xxxxx, is true except that 'quantitative easing is bad'. We are right now in a liquidity trap, and must get more money out flowing into the economy lubricating it.

Hoover thought that a government must tighten its belt in hard times, but the opposite is the case, and he drove us deeper into the Great Depression. FDR came and gave us the New Deal, with WPA and CCC, directly creating jobs and getting money out where it was needed and would be circulated to get the multiplier effect, priming the pump.

Problem is that there are $trillions locked up in bonds, not going anywhere except financing the massive military expenditures which comprise 52% of the federal budget! This money goes right into the pockets of the 1%, for the greatest transfer of wealth from taxpayers to the 1% in the history of the world!

This is called Consumption, not Investment.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Finding a sales job is not a major accomplishment since those jobs are always available. And they see your resume online and call you or send you emails because those are jobs that most people don't want
Not completely true. I was just fired a few months ago from my sales for not being able to meet an unrealistic quota and keep up with the other 3 jobs they had me doing.

Mine was a real corp. sales job at a major telecom with a base of 50k and OTE of 80k, benefits and holidays. So those sales jobs are not a dime a dozen, commission only ones of course they are, the emloyer takes no risk the employee takes all the risk.

I like sales and my industry. I just like realistic expectations like allowing me to sell without having to project manage and play customer service all day when the install tech blows up the install.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Everything you said Colorado xxxxx, is true except that 'quantitative easing is bad'. We are right now in a liquidity trap, and must get more money out flowing into the economy lubricating it.

Hoover thought that a government must tighten its belt in hard times, but the opposite is the case, and he drove us deeper into the Great Depression. FDR came and gave us the New Deal, with WPA and CCC, directly creating jobs and getting money out where it was needed and would be circulated to get the multiplier effect, priming the pump.

Problem is that there are $trillions locked up in bonds, not going anywhere except financing the massive military expenditures which comprise 52% of the federal budget! This money goes right into the pockets of the 1%, for the greatest transfer of wealth from taxpayers to the 1% in the history of the world!

This is called Consumption, not Investment.
We had this discussion before and the moderator deleted it all, so I don't want to get too much into it again.

But one difference between the Great Depression and now is that we stimulated the economy back then with saved money (federal government had a huge budget surplus), not freshly printed money. All of the debt was written off when the banks were allowed to crash, so it wasn't weighing down the system.

Also, Americans in the 1950s-1970s were more than willing to pay off the debt incurred from the WWII spending with 70%-90% tax rates, something that's absolutely unthinkable today.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I believe, in the pre-crash economy, some 70 percent of the economy was based on consumption, and even then, that was considered "unhealthy." Any efforts to get back to that same level are both unhealthy and doomed to fail.
Spot on it was 70% of GDP was consumer spending.

Now meditate on this. In order for the US to recover you have to go into debt since we don't mfg hardly anything we just consume. In order for you to recover you have to stop spending. See the problem.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Not completely true. I was just fired a few months ago from my sales for not being able to meet an unrealistic quota and keep up with the other 3 jobs they had me doing.

Mine was a real corp. sales job at a major telecom with a base of 50k and OTE of 80k, benefits and holidays. So those sales jobs are not a dime a dozen, commission only ones of course they are, the emloyer takes no risk the employee takes all the risk.

I like sales and my industry. I just like realistic expectations like allowing me to sell without having to project manage and play customer service all day when the install tech blows up the install.
It's no way in hell would I accept any sales job in this economy mainly because it's a SINK or SWIM position
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment