Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The unemployment rate is still under 10%, that means 90% of people have jobs, and are spending their money.
That is part of it. While unemployment is still high, the truth of the matter is that there are also a lot of people out there who are employed, are doing well, and are putting part of their paychecks back into the economy.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
After almost six months of looking for work, just landed a job yesterday. But was talking to the headhunter who placed me in the job and she told me that I was lucky. The door on job openings is shutting for the 4th quarter and probably won't open even a little bit until after the election. My headhunter said that she already has a list of jobs she will be looking for, but the start date is not until after January 1st.

So things were improving a little bit, but will be stalling for the next three months.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
After almost six months of looking for work, just landed a job yesterday. But was talking to the headhunter who placed me in the job and she told me that I was lucky. The door on job openings is shutting for the 4th quarter and probably won't open even a little bit until after the election. My headhunter said that she already has a list of jobs she will be looking for, but the start date is not until after January 1st.

So things were improving a little bit, but will be stalling for the next three months.

Congrats on the job! Yep the economy is at a standstill...I believe we may back into a recession...however, I really hope things improve A LOT

To answer the question....the stock market and the economy are two different things. The economy is: we make, buy, sell and consume. The stock market is part of the economy, however its focus is very narrow, confined to securities that represent, for the most part, the largest and most robust companies. Usually the economy and the stock market move in the same direction, although not usually at the same time. The economy is measured after the fact and the stock market instantly responds to changes...I believe the stock market has been up because companies are stock piling the cash and also investors believe good times are ahead.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Recession is not over. Every month's job data reflects that, its not a state secret. Those saying we are in a 'slow recovery' have a strong political motive to so state - its not true.
And the unemployment rate is 1%. 1% of the population in the US make $344,000 or more.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Here's one theory:

Companies boosted profits without hiring this spring - Economy Watch

I'm one of "those" casualties. I'm doing 3 different jobs. Something's got to give. I'm burned out and frustrated but there's nowhere to go. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't think things will ever go back to the way they were.
In a perfect world, people have a habit of saving money to build a "safety net" so that they will not work or not work excessively if all jobs (they can find) make unreasonable demands on them.

In other words, if you had $1 million in the bank, will you burn yourself out working 3 different jobs?

Read my theory here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/24036658-post41.html

Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post

She is wrong. You didn't get the job because you were lucky. You got the job because you deserved it. While there may be fewer jobs in the 4th quarter, the most deserving will still be able to pick up the few that exist. Congratulations.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
And the unemployment rate is 1%. 1% of the population in the US make $344,000 or more.

Translation, please?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The unemployment rate is still under 10%, that means 90% of people have jobs, and are spending their money.
No. There are people who do not collect unemployment and are not counted. There are people who are severely underemployed and are not counted. (Sorry, 12 hours a week is NOT what I would call "employed"..yes, you are bringing in a few dollars each month but it's not enough to even come close to living on.)

Those numbers are not accurate at all.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Congrats on the job! Yep the economy is at a standstill...I believe we may back into a recession...however, I really hope things improve A LOT

To answer the question....the stock market and the economy are two different things. The economy is: we make, buy, sell and consume. The stock market is part of the economy, however its focus is very narrow, confined to securities that represent, for the most part, the largest and most robust companies. Usually the economy and the stock market move in the same direction, although not usually at the same time. The economy is measured after the fact and the stock market instantly responds to changes...I believe the stock market has been up because companies are stock piling the cash and also investors believe good times are ahead.
This is the answer I was looking for. I do have a job now, took a while but found a great job. I just keep hearing about people losing jobs, houses being foreclosed on, and so on but then I see the stock market going up and up!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
This is the answer I was looking for. I do have a job now, took a while but found a great job. I just keep hearing about people losing jobs, houses being foreclosed on, and so on but then I see the stock market going up and up!

My economics book came in handy. No problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment