Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Translation, please?
You're trying to change the definition of "recession" and then using that definition to justify your belief that we are still in one. I thought that it might be fun to play along and change the definition of "unemployment".

Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,939,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're trying to change the definition of "recession" and then using that definition to justify your belief that we are still in one. I thought that it might be fun to play along and change the definition of "unemployment".

Quote:
Recession: A significant decline in activity across the economy, lasting longer than a few months. It is visible in industrial production, employment, real income and wholesale-retail trade. The technical indicator of a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth as measured by a country's gross domestic product (GDP); although the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) does not necessarily need to see this occur to call a recession.
Quote:
There are two senses of the word "recession": a less precise sense, referring broadly to "a period of reduced economic activity",[7] and the academic sense used most often in economics, which is defined operationally, referring specifically to the contraction phase of a business cycle, with two or more consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. If one analyses the event using the economics-academic definition of the word, the recession ended in the U.S. in June or July 2009.[8][9] However, in the broader, lay sense of the word, many people use the term to refer to the ongoing hardship (in the same way that the term "Great Depression" is also popularly used).[10] In the U.S., for example, persistent high unemployment remains, along with low consumer confidence, the continuing decline in home values and increase in foreclosures and personal bankruptcies, an escalating federal debt crisis, inflation, and rising petroleum and food prices.
I stand by my statement.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Here's one theory:

Companies boosted profits without hiring this spring - Economy Watch

I'm one of "those" casualties. I'm doing 3 different jobs. Something's got to give. I'm burned out and frustrated but there's nowhere to go. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't think things will ever go back to the way they were.
Apparently not, since you haven't quit yet.

Worker productivity is up. Instead of producing 8 widgets per worker, we're now producing 9. That's a 12.5% productivity boost, so even if each company laid off 10% of its work force, it'd still be producing more with less workers plus paying each one less too. They didn't layoff 10% of the work force, but even if they did. From 2007-2010 median household earnings declined by 7%. That is a drag on demand, but not as much as producing more stuff with fewer lower paid employs is a boon on supply. Add on in Keynesian economic policies of the federal government and that median household income declined is even less important. Most of what they're not earning the federal government is injecting with borrowed money anyway.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
After almost six months of looking for work, just landed a job yesterday.
Congrats!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
A few years ago, when the recession hit and the stock market fell below 7000, people were getting laid off and companies were closing. I was one of those casualties, losing my job in 2010.

From what I could tell, there were so many people looking for jobs, that employers could pay less for a more qualified worker. It still seems that way today. So then why is the stock market rising again? If people are still out of work, or taking jobs for less pay, then they have to be buying less. Does this effect the stock market at all?.
Not much affect at all. Global economy, corp profits up = stock prices up..employment is unrelated.

Wall St only recalls being located in America when either a bailout is needed , so 5k do not lose jobs like Lehman employees, or when 344 firemen are racing up steps to save their unworthy souls.

In short, centuries ago we knew who Benedict Arnold was, and in 2012, he wears an Armani suit and is in a penthouse office on Wall St.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM

29,832 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Recession is over, thanks to some rather unnecessary QE. When the juice runs out, and we are projectile vomiting over the toilet bowl once more, I expect we will see more of it, along with more devaluation of the dollar and all the fun that goes with that. These things never work out too well... Just wait till out total national debt exceeds out GDP.

Thank your politicians. Too incompetent for the private sector, that seems to be where all the losers congregate these days.

As for jobs... Massive corporations can survive and prosper on razor thin margins. Think Walmart. They will do just fine. There are also plenty of markets outside the U.S., if you can believe that one too.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
I stand by my statement.
People in some countries think the US Dollar isn't worth more than toilet paper.

That doesn't mean it's really toilet paper (yet).

Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
I stand by my statement.
You can stand by your statement as it is within your right to be wrong (wow, that sounds ironic).

The NBER officially decides when a recession starts and ends. It isn't some arbitrary thing that you get to assess and decide. Even in economics, there are governing associations.

NBER: Recession Over in June 2009 - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,210 times
OP, it could be all spin for what it's worth.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Go to indeed.com and do a few searches. Unless this is North Korea, you can still have a shot at finding a job, it just takes a little more effort and patience today.
Indeed? You mean the site that emails alerts for

Positions that are no longer available?

Positions that were posted 2 days ago?

Indeed has always been a JOKE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment