Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM

21 posts, read 156,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Have you gone to college? If not, what have you been doing between hight school graduation and now?
yes i did it was more or less a waste of time and for the past year i have been trying to find a job but like i said no one will hire me. because i lack the experence needed to work there somehow and i am talking about mcdonalds or walmart. like what possible job is there for someone who is 24 years old and never had a job in his life. cuz if u say mcdonalds or walmart they have yet to call me back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, you still didn't reply to what's your highest degree... Is it only H.S.? If your dumb and can't handle school and classes you just have to settle with no college degree, as college won't make you smart. You'll just have to get by with whatever a H.S. degree will get you. My H.S. buddies never went to college and yet they have kids or a house and I don't even have that and I got a top notch Mech Eng degree.

And if you can't even do well in school then college would just be a student loan debt trap that would hurt you.
like i said i only have high school. and i really cant get a job that even high school students can get. mcdonalds,walmart. etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
I am sure you have tried this already, but in your case I believe getting a job through personal connections, family, friends, old classmates, may be better than just applying for one. But whatever happens, do NOT give up. Once you have given up, you never will get a job. Maybe instead of just the big companies, try small local companies too, like landscaping work.
Have you looked on places like the local Craigslist for jobs? Sometimes they advertise for general laborers.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
like i said i only have high school. and i really cant get a job that even high school students can get. mcdonalds,walmart. etc.
Son... you sound like a guy I knew... same situation... kind of aimless, never had a job and lacked discipline.

He joined the marines and it changed his life in many positive ways.

Learned to operate heavy equipment, met his wife and now makes good money as a crane operator...

He was also able to use the GI Bill to take some clases and the got a VA loan to buy his home...

Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I am sure you have tried this already, but in your case I believe getting a job through personal connections, family, friends, old classmates, may be better than just applying for one. But whatever happens, do NOT give up. Once you have given up, you never will get a job. Maybe instead of just the big companies, try small local companies too, like landscaping work.
Have you looked on places like the local Craigslist for jobs? Sometimes they advertise for general laborers.
i thought about using personal connections but i do not know anyone who would help me out.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times
I thought
kanhawk had excellent advice.
Snagajob.com maybe? Can anyone vouch for you personally? Can your parents help you out? Warehouse work? Truck Driving? Walmart? Stocking? Phone work? Work from home?

Someone in your church to help with connections/networking?
perhaps you really do need some guidance and a purpose in your young life.
Talk to a recruiter in the military. You need a helping hand young person.
Don't give up. whatever you do, do it with purpose and do it legally.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:27 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Ultrarunner makes a great suggestion.

The marines will provide structure, discipline and hands-on training. At 24 yrs old, the original poster's writing skills are worse than a high school teen. He is unlikely to get a call on his job app, before another HS graduate that can write.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
While military service has helped MANY young people grow up and find themselves for the better, times have changed.

The services currently are getting VERY competative in both their selection processes, ASVAB score requirements and even wait times to enter the service. I work with USAF basic trainees daily, and may are asking me "how can I change from this job to something else?"...when I ask them why the came in guaranteed job if it is something the did not want...they say "it is the only job they offered where I did not have to wait 12 months to start".

I would certainly sit down with a recruiter and see if you "have what it takes" to consider the military, and remember that ALL 4 BRANCHES HAVE DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS....so if the AF says no, there is a possibility that one of the others could uses you UNLESS the deficit that keeps you from the first one is a DoD (vs service specific) disqualifer.

Having said that, son, you NEED to get up off the backside and work. You keep asking, so I am going to assume you really want an honest answer. Not to beat you up, but if you are 24 yrs old and have done NOTHING with your life at all, no work, no school, NOTHING...you are NOT showing someone looking to hire for a JOB that you are willing to work based on your track record. THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE!

Buy a lawnmower and get out there and do yards, do chores for those you know that trust you and then ask for references to expand as you do a good job for them. Volunteer anywhere so you can show someone you want to pay money to you that you are reliable and productive. See if you can work a service job where you can make extra money based on performance (tips, etc) if you need to enabling you to make MORE than just minimum wage if you earn it with effort.

Maybe with something to put on your resume, you will be able to overcome this challenge...but to say you can not afford to "volunteer" because you need money if no one is hiring you now is a cop out. What else would you be doing with your day if you are not gainfully employed???

We have a 23 yr old son who has completed his 4 yrs in the USMC, and is now working the oil fields, making BIG money for HARD work...but I can tell you the difference between his abilities to get decent jobs (and even into the USMC) with some of his friends has been drug records. Unfortunately, too many kids in this age group have drug arrests that will haunt them for their entire lives in the job market....

Old 11-22-2012, 06:33 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
If you can't find a job you can create your own. Find something no one wants to do and start your own business. Could you clean out basements and attics, wash windows or pick up dog doo?

A couple of guys in the city where I live were in the same situation and they put out flyers saying they would pick up dog doo from your yard. You could contract to have them pick up your back yard once a week or more. This turned out to be very successful and now they have hired other employees and built a thriving business.

Another example is a friend of mine who lost his job ten years ago and couldn't find another. He decided to start a window washing business because he had no money and thought it was the cheapest business to start. All he needed to get started was a bucket, a bottle of Palmolive dish soap and some rags. He went around to restaurants and gas stations asking if they needed their windows washed. Soon he had a long list of regular clients and eventually he started buying better equipment. Now he owns successful business with many contracts for hotel and restaurant chains.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:01 AM

300 posts, read 659,263 times
A few people have asked, and I'm also curious, what have you been doing for the past 6 years since high school? It's not a sarcastic question. What do you normally do during the day since you don't have a job? Is there anything you've done that is work-like, such as housekeeping for a relative? I believe the reason you're not getting hired is because it seems you've been doing nothing at all for 6 years. It makes you seem dysfunctional, so no one wants to trust you. You have to somehow show that you've been doing something productive since high school.

Also, keep in mind that often when job ads state their requirements, that is what they would ideally like to have, but if they really just need someone immediately, they are willing to make exceptions. In other words, keep applying for jobs even though they say "experience required". I know of many occasions where someone got a job without experience.

So I advise you of 2 steps:

1. come up with something you've been doing since high school, even if it's just selling stuff randomly or cleaning someone's house.
2. apply for jobs like dishwasher and shelf stocker, even if they say experience is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment