Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Why do even minimum-wage, entry-level service jobs, customer-service jobs, such as being a stock clerk, gathering shopping-carts, being an usher/ticket-taker, why do they give a crap about qualifications? why do they want to know what the prospective applicant has been doing with their life while being out of a job for a while?
As someone who has been responsible for making hiring decisions, I can answer that. When I look at a resume/application form, I want to see a reasonable level of intelligence and motivation. If an applicant claims to have graduated high school but writes as poorly as the OP, that's a big ding against him. If the applicant claims to have graduated high school and is 24 years old but has absolutely no work history whatsoever, I write him off as an unmotivated loafer and the application/resume goes in the circular file unless there is included some sort of [provable] explanation like he's been hospitalized in a coma for all of that time.

Even if the job were "just gathering shopping carts", I want to know that the job is going to get done without me having to stand there watching the whole time and that I'm not going to have to go looking and find him out behind the store smoking a joint instead of collecting carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times
OP, where did you go?

I'm not convinced that he really cares or he would have answered by now. Twenty-four and no work experience? How about volunteer work?

And where were the parents during all of this?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
You should be able to find work with even tho lowest qualifications because that seems to be what low level jobs want anyway. When I left off my experience and education for a retail job they called me back but as long as I had a nice school and experience they never looked at me twice. Other options, parking/toll people? They just collect your toll or give you a ticket so you can park. That seems really easy. Or becoming a nanny? Or cleaning person? Or a driver for something like delivery work you usually don't have to speak English for that (at least in NYC )

Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
stripper?

Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,459 times
I'm not trying to put you down or make myself seem better than you but one thing I noticed that's wrong is you're spelling and grammar. I in no way have perfect spelling and grammar but one think employers look for is how well you can spell and proper use of grammar. Sorry, but your misspelling basic words which makes you look bad.

If you failed badly in High-school, how exactly did you get a diploma?

Are you able to drive? Have you had a drivers license for 3- 5 years? Perhaps you can work as a truck driver or operate a bus.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:31 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I'm not trying to put you down or make myself seem better than you but one thing I noticed that's wrong is you're spelling and grammar. I in no way have perfect spelling and grammar but one think employers look for is how well you can spell and proper use of grammar. Sorry, but your misspelling basic words which makes you look bad.

If you failed badly in High-school, how exactly did you get a diploma?

Are you able to drive? Have you had a drivers license for 3- 5 years? Perhaps you can work as a truck driver or operate a bus.
Before you start criticizing others, learn the difference between your and you're.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Before you start criticizing others, learn the difference between your and you're.

I quite clearly said I wasn't criticizing him and I also quite clearly said that I don't have perfect spelling and grammar myself.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Also, I work with people that treat their adult children like kids...

Heck.. I think you can still be on your parents Health Insurance at the poster's age.

One of my best experiences was a road trip I made with some high school buddies at age 16... we drove all the way to British Columbia from the Bay Area...

I don't know any 16 year olds that could or would be allowed to do this today... not even legal in my State for a 16 year to have other 16 year olds in their car unless family...
Yeah, young folks are infantilized well into adulthood these days. I know a guy from high school who is 28 freaking years old that still lives with his parents. Instead of making him get a job and get an apartment of his own, his parents just let him lay around and make no effort whatsoever to get him out of the house. They wash his clothes for him and cook for him every night. He hasn't worked a day in four years, and they allow him to live as a spoiled child. It's kind of bizarre.

My grandfather left home at 17 years of age and moved across the country, never looked back. My father joined the Army when he was 18 and moved to a different city for a job. It was a different world back then when young people were expected to act like ADULTS and take care of themselves. There's a reason why birds kick their young out of their nests at a certain age. It teaches them to fly on their own.

Coddle a kid forever and he'll never amount to anything. Our nation is full of 25-30 year old infants. It's pathetic.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
How many times have you repeated this particular rant on the forum? This mentality of yours is most likely not helping you.
too many times and i'm aware of that, it's because i hate, despise, loathe the common hiring-standards that most entry-level, low-wage, minimum-wage jobs have

Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
As someone who has been responsible for making hiring decisions, I can answer that. When I look at a resume/application form, I want to see a reasonable level of intelligence and motivation. If an applicant claims to have graduated high school but writes as poorly as the OP, that's a big ding against him. If the applicant claims to have graduated high school and is 24 years old but has absolutely no work history whatsoever, I write him off as an unmotivated loafer and the application/resume goes in the circular file unless there is included some sort of [provable] explanation like he's been hospitalized in a coma for all of that time.

Even if the job were "just gathering shopping carts", I want to know that the job is going to get done without me having to stand there watching the whole time and that I'm not going to have to go looking and find him out behind the store smoking a joint instead of collecting carts.
thats what i hate about hiring-managers, they don't want to take a risk, don't want to take a chance on somebody, you always have to assume that if a person is out of work for a long time or has little or no job experience by a certain-age, you see them as a flake, people can change you know, unfortuneately, the system won't change, thats why i hate capitalism sometimes, it's like, they reject people like that even if the person has no criminal record either, why do you have to assume the person is gonna smoke weed outside while gathering shopping-carts, and what if he doesn't and gets the job done in time? would you still fire him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment