Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times

Advertisements

Make sure someone is proof reading your applications for you. You have a lot of errors which may be a turn off for potential employers. Yes this is a message board, but I is still capitalized. If I were looking to hire someone, and I had an application full of spelling, punctuation and grammar errors, and one that is correct I'm going with the one that is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If your resume looks like your post, I would go back to school.
I'm going to second this. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm being serious...if this is what your resume looks like, this is why you aren't getting hired. If you don't know proper punctuation or grammar, have someone help you write the resume so you can at least get your foot in the door.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
ok so i am 24 years old and i have never had a job before in my life. i am looking right now but no place is hireing me i am told its because after i hand in my application or resusme i do not call them back the next day and then repeat calling them back everyday untill i get the job or they say stop calling us you dont have the job. but honestly i do not know what to do because i am trying places like mcdonalds and even they wont hire me and i really really need a job badly and i have no idea how to get one since i have no money and if i go back to school it will just be a waste of time for me right now. i failed badly and i just dont know what to do. like how do i get a job at mcdonalds or walmart do i really have to call them up every day untill they say no and then move on to the next one. heck even dishwashers say oh u need exprence. well how am i supposed to get exprence.
Should learn to read and write before applying for a job.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:16 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Ya know...how many people have you seen begging for $$$ on the side of the road with a sign that says "Will work for food"...but when you offer them "employment" they look at you like you are stark raving mad???? I always roll down my window and say "ya know, I have a ton of weeds in the back yard that need pulling"...and every single person that has said "I am willing to do that" I have given a $20 bill....all ONE of them!
I get your point, but there are some sick in the head people out there who look to beat up homeless people or even want to kill people, so maybe a lot of those people didn't trust going along to some stranger's house and maybe a lot wrere just lazy, but I do know people who have nothing better to do than take their aggresion out on people like the homeless.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Have you thought about the military? I don't know what the max age is now but it may help you get experience and improve yourself.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinley View Post
Well, OP can be a truck driver then. Give him your friend's number.
Glad to oblige... just need to verify the OP has a valid license, a clean driving record and can pass random drug testing...

Unfortunately, the bar is too high for the majority of young people here in the SF Bay Area.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,735 times
There are trucking training programs for major trucking companies - you get your CDL and commit to a certain amount of time as an employee.

The military is a good one. Not only will it solve the problem of finding a job now, but if you are smart about the opportunities you receive you can obtain further education for much less money. And I do believe you need it. It is more selective now, yes, but you have already waited around for 6 years, what is another couple of months?

Have you ever heard of LiveOps, ACD Direct or any other home call center companies?

Last edited by rohirette; 11-23-2012 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I work with a male registered nurse.

He received all his training as a military corpsman...

California allows military corpsman to become RN's based on military experience and testing.

Here is one person that got a great career out of the military... not saying it is your path.

Only saying don't just discount the opportunities the military offers.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:40 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,073 times
Many jobs in the oil and gas industry such as pipeline technicians only require a high school diploma as well and those jobs pay extremely well also. However it is very tough/labor intensive work with long hours so it is not for everybody.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:56 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If your resume looks like your post, I would go back to school.
Tried to rep you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment