Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knort4 View Post
What subjects in high school did you enjoy the most? What hobbies do you enjoy? Just settling for a job at a retailer or at a fast food place is a start, but you have not mentioned what the ideal job would be for you, and that is why you have lost focus. Have you applied at temporary employment agencies (can you type or do office work or use a computer?)? Have you asked friends/acquaintances about openings where they work? Even though you have no experience, have you prepared even a basic resume that shows your contact information (name, address and e-mail address) and where you went to high school?
he has tried that, and other inexperienced people around his age, even retailers and fast-food places reject long-term unemployed and inexperienced people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yes, people *can* change...but they rarely do. The odds are heavily in favor of a continuation of the same old habits. Why should I take a risk like that with such poor odds when there are so many more better qualified candidates who are motivated to perform and succeed?

'Capitalism' is not the problem here, and it's not 'the system' either. If I need a particular job done and I need to hire someone to do it, then I want to hire a person who shows me that he/she can *get* the job *done*. With nothing to show for 6+ years after high school (and apparently not having done very well at *that*) a person is going to have to go to some extreme lengths to convince me that I ought to give him a chance. It's very simple, all there is to this 'system' is that if I need a job done, *you* show me that you can do it (and do it well) and I'll hire you. If you don't show *me* anything, I don't show *you* anything.

As far as assuming that he smokes weed, that was merely an example of someone I *don't* want. If I don't hire him in the first place, there is no firing to be done.

You've hit the nail square on the head.

Of course it's about *them*. They are not in the business of 'giving people a job'.

A business is in business to provide goods and/or services to people who will buy them at a price that will produce a profit for the owner(s). Period. This is the sole reason that the company is in business. If the company cannot produce a profit, then that company is [eventually] *out* of business.

Now, in the process of providing these goods and services, a company may need to hire employees to facilitate the production and delivery of these goods and services. The company makes agreements with people who want to work and arranges to pay them a certain amount of money in exchange for the person(s) doing the work that needs to be done.

If you do the work, you get paid. If not, you hit the road and the company finds someone who *will* do the work. It's much easier not to hire a slacker in the first place. Firing someone involves stress and bad feelings, plus lost time and money spent training the individual, plus more money lost due to unemployment insurance increases, etc. etc.

Unlike some of the crap they seem to be teaching in some schools nowadays, you don't get a gold star (paycheck) just for showing up (unless you're a politician or one of their hacks, then sometimes you don't even have to show up). You have to EARN it. You have to DO SOMETHING to get it. And Life *IS* a *competition*, there are Winners and there are Losers, you don't get a prize just because you're there. You have to be better than the next guy/girl or you are OUT.

A person with an attitude like that will be sucking hind-tit for as long as he or she has it.

If you don't care about MY interests, MY business, then I'm certainly not going to care about *yours*. Why should I?

If your employer is providing you with a paycheck that pays your rent/mortgage and puts food on your table and clothes on your back (or helps to), you *should* care about his business, because if he can't make a profit and goes OUT of business, YOU are out of business too. The paycheck stops. Then what are you going to do? Get another job?

Ah, but that's not so easy now, is it? Why? Because Life IS a competition. There are Winners. There are losers. An attitude of "I don't care" is easily seen, just as is a winning attitude of "I care, and I CAN". A person with a winning attitude will usually get hired, even lacking experience, faster than someone whose attitude shouts "I don't care."

If you don't care about my business, then I don't care about yours. No gold star. No soup for you...unless you want to stand in line at the soup kitchen, we aren't in the business of Charity though we *do* donate to some, if you want your 'share' of *that* then you know where to go.
i guess all the crappy advice about people telling others to never let the past dictate your future is bull****, because the past will always dictate your future, even if you don't want it to, employers will always make sure your past will dictate your future

Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,595 times
There is always work everywhere. Often people do not want to hire someone to do the work or they do not recognize the work or job that is there. Go ahead and do the work. Perhaps when someone sees you doing the work they may hire you.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,410 times
You mean just jump behind the counter and start serving people? Grab a rag and start scrubbing some pans? Round up carts at the shopping center?

I suppose the holidays are about as good a time as any to find a job in retail. If you've got a strong back, you could pick vegetables or something.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I don't know how things work in Texas, but here in Florida going door to door with a lawnmower is out of the question. We have professional firms that handle all the lawns and someone going door to door can be arrested for solicitation. Yes, there are people who will call the police. Not to mention many employers do not consider this sort of thing to be work experience.
I have a little landscape trailer for my own use... only at property I own.

It never fails that someone will stop me and ask for a quote to do their yard or trim trees

I have no sign and have never done this type of work for hire...

Just having an old truck, in great shape, a trailer and the basic tools is enough for employers to solicit me...

Some are almost offended when I tell them No and then I explain I only work at properties I own...

Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
When I was laid off in the 1980's and there were no jobs readily available, I went to various realtors and offered to clean their repossessed houses (of which there were a lot in those days). My price was dirt-cheap and I was given one house at clean. I worked hard and made it spotless -- so I got another house...and another...and another.

It was hard work and often disgusting. But I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment. I soon had more houses than I could clean and I worked 12-18 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. When the job market came back about a year later, I was offered a great job in my field (oil and gas) again and I had to think, long and hard, about whether to take it -- because I was making so much $$$ with the housecleaning.

In the end, I did take the oil/gas job -- so I could have insurance and vacation benefits. But I really enjoyed the year that I created my own job and was my own boss.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
When I was laid off in the 1980's and there were no jobs readily available, I went to various realtors and offered to clean their repossessed houses (of which there were a lot in those days). My price was dirt-cheap and I was given one house at clean. I worked hard and made it spotless -- so I got another house...and another...and another.

It was hard work and often disgusting. But I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment. I soon had more houses than I could clean and I worked 12-18 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. When the job market came back about a year later, I was offered a great job in my field (oil and gas) again and I had to think, long and hard, about whether to take it -- because I was making so much $$$ with the housecleaning.

In the end, I did take the oil/gas job -- so I could have insurance and vacation benefits. But I really enjoyed the year that I was my own boss.
The early 80's were rough times... the worst since the Great Depression along with sky high interest rates...

No one was hiring in my field when I graduated... so I started to rehab property and got into property management... one rental at a time.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
You mean just jump behind the counter and start serving people? Grab a rag and start scrubbing some pans? Round up carts at the shopping center?

I suppose the holidays are about as good a time as any to find a job in retail. If you've got a strong back, you could pick vegetables or something.
exactly, during the holidays, i bet most retail employers when hiring seasonal employees, do not care about applicants that are in the OP's situation, that is pretty much the only time of the year in which hiring-managers, employers do not care as much about experience and qualifications

Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
What about going to an state employment center and sitting down with a job counselor and just explaining your situation? Maybe they would have some ideas. I think you wouldn't be the first person they have dealt with with this problem.
Could be the OP hasn't had a job because he is unemployable for some reason we don't know. But maybe he just got himself in a rut and now is having a hard time climbing out. Sometimes all someone needs is for someone to give them a break and they will take advantage of it.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
From your OP you have bad English and if you're dumb then you just have to survive on "dumb jobs." - Like a taxi driver, messenger, janitor, retail work, factory work, etc. Don't even bother with any college if you're not smart enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment