Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 07:30 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Too many people live in the, "right this minute" and don't think nor plan ahead. What is going to happen to that 28 year old if something happens to the parents? What if that 28 year old turns in to a 35 year old, been laying around the house doing nothing all day long and then, suddenly, the parents are gone. What on earth does that person think they are going to do? They have no clue how much damage they are doing to themselves right now...but I'll bet they are giggling at everyone else, thinking they got it made.

Listen...I just hired two people to take care of my pets while I start this job I just got. The reason is, for awhile, I'm going to be away from my home for far too many hours a day and it's not fair to the dogs to keep them cooped up inside.

So I put up an ad. You would not believe how some people "apply" for a job. I asked specific questions in my ad and I would get one word answers or vague answers or NO answer at all to those questions.

I saw terrible grammar in these replies. I had people tell me why they wanted the job...it was all about them, money, money, money and still "able to live a comfy life", (as one applicant put it). Really? I am asking for someone to care for my dogs...my PETS, my beloved PETS and all the applicant wants to tell me is how they want to make money and live a comfy life? REALLY?!

Or they tell me, "I'd do good with dogs, promise" after mentioning they've never actually HAD a dog, EVER, in their life or had spent much time with dogs. Yah, see, this is an easy, low paying job but you bet your backside I want someone who has SOME KIND of experience with dogs!

Let me tell you who got the job: I hired two girls. The reason I hired them was because in their response to me, they showed me that they a) cared about dogs and would care about mine b) had experience with dogs and one even shared a photo of her dog.

When they came over, I showed them what to do, certain commands the dogs know, etc and then stood back and let them do it. What that did was prove they had experience. It also proved they really do like dogs.

Out of over 30 responses, those are the only two I even bothered to invite over. I'm not going to respond to you if you tell me, "Let me get back to you in a few days..." No. "I'd be good, promise." No. "I want to have a job to make money to pay my bills but still have a comfortable life"...NO! This isn't about you, this is about my dogs!

Put yourself in the employers' shoes just once! No, I'm not going to, "take a chance" on someone who shows no experience, no initiative, no drive, no real desire other than to, "make money". Of course we get jobs to make money but if I'm asking you to care for my pets, whom I happen to love very much, your reply goes in to the delete file immediately when you respond like that.

Now, imagine a big company going through applications...think how much THEY care about who they hire.

Doing absolutely nothing with your life is hardly what I would call, "playing it smart".
pets, babysitting is a different issue, why does this have to matter for a retail job, fast-food job, grocery store, movie theater job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
no, hiring managers are not in the business of speculation. they are in the business to make money. blaming it on the system is just a way to absolve yourself of responsibility for your own situation. the system did not tell you to stay home your whole life. there are plenty of things you can do- go to school, get a library book on writing a resume, gotten a job like, 8 years ago- but too many people are content with excuses and blaming "the system" for their woes. do people get messed over by the system? sure. but using that as an excuse to do nothing is pointless. are you gonna be an armchair complainer, or go out and change things for yourself? you have to take responsibility for your own actions. people come up from NOTHING all the time, if they work hard. if you want something bad enough, you find a way. but you have to leave the house.

and trust me, this is the same all over, whether you are in a communist country, a fascist dictatorship, or a capitalist society. people need to be convinced to hire you. that's what a resume is for. that's what presenting yourself cleanly and well dressed is for. nobody owes you a job.

if you haven't made the effort, who are you to blame it on anyone but yourself? don't you think that's a little childish?
everything is always in an employers best interest, thats what i've said before, hiring-managers, managers or bosses, are nothing but selfish, greedy people, who don't care about the consumer or their employees, only their money, it's always about them, nobody else

Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
us army is hiring right now. they will teach u a trade. but u got to ask.
my favorite is RN. a trade, dont leave home without it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
I saw a job ad for a Customer Service Rep on Monster and all you needed was a H.S. degree. You just have to be intelligent enough to learn the company's products and support them.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
everything is always in an employers best interest, thats what i've said before, hiring-managers, managers or bosses, are nothing but selfish, greedy people, who don't care about the consumer or their employees, only their money, it's always about them, nobody else
you keep saying the same garbage, you keep asking why people won't hire "just anybody" for ticket taker jobs, you have had about a half dozen explanations as to why, and you aren't hearing em. i think you take great pleasure in whining.

so i assume that the reason you would want them to hire you is so that you can donate your money back to the company or give it away, because obviously, if you are putting down employers for having self interest, that implies you have none of your own. OH, you mean you want to make money and keep it?
so do they.
that doesn't make them greedy or selfish. that's BUSINESS. and its not like you go in there and don't get paid. if business didn't exist you could work. oh wait, you don't work. you complain.

we always appear small to those who cannot fly. or in this case, refuse to fly. because the sky is selfish, if it weren't for that greedy gravity i could DO THIS, or whatever.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
you keep saying the same garbage, you keep asking why people won't hire "just anybody" for ticket taker jobs, you have had about a half dozen explanations as to why, and you aren't hearing em. i think you take great pleasure in whining.

so i assume that the reason you would want them to hire you is so that you can donate your money back to the company or give it away, because obviously, if you are putting down employers for having self interest, that implies you have none of your own. OH, you mean you want to make money and keep it?
so do they.
that doesn't make them greedy or selfish. that's BUSINESS. and its not like you go in there and don't get paid. if business didn't exist you could work. oh wait, you don't work. you complain.

we always appear small to those who cannot fly. or in this case, refuse to fly. because the sky is selfish, if it weren't for that greedy gravity i could DO THIS, or whatever.
i don't care about the employers own, self-interest, i only care about my interest, which is getting a paycheck

Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 PM

207 posts, read 535,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
ok so i am 24 years old and i have never had a job before in my life. i am looking right now but no place is hireing me i am told its because after i hand in my application or resusme i do not call them back the next day and then repeat calling them back everyday untill i get the job or they say stop calling us you dont have the job. but honestly i do not know what to do because i am trying places like mcdonalds and even they wont hire me and i really really need a job badly and i have no idea how to get one since i have no money and if i go back to school it will just be a waste of time for me right now. i failed badly and i just dont know what to do. like how do i get a job at mcdonalds or walmart do i really have to call them up every day untill they say no and then move on to the next one. heck even dishwashers say oh u need exprence. well how am i supposed to get exprence.
Corrections or law enforcement, there will always be crime

Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 AM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I wouldn't even make any suggestions before knowing exactly why the OP hasn't had one single job since graduating high school several years ago - a question which he for some reason seems reluctant to answer and which is very relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Since asking the simple question of what the OP has been doing for the past six years since high school graduation there has not been a further response from him.

There will be no further response.
Exactly my thoughts, provided this was not a troll post to begin with. Heck, I can list every job I've had since I was 12 years old. It all started with a paper route for three years on Sat & Sun mornings, then I did a gig with a local pizza place putting flyers on neighborhood doors after school, then was a bag boy for the local supermarket, and then did a tour in the Navy. All of this before the age of 23. The thought of never having had a job at 24 is totally foreign to me. My parents would have kicked me out into the street on my keester the day I graduated HS.

It's sad that some good CD posters wasted their time and effort trying to give someone like this a ton of helpful advice. This individual is probably so high on dope they can't even remember what the forum address was. Either that, or they didn't receive the flood of sympathy they were hoping for. If there is one thing I can say about CD it's this: There is very little sympathy here, but plenty of hefty doses of reality. Some people just can't handle the truth.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 AM

266 posts, read 402,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I work with a male registered nurse.

He received all his training as a military corpsman...

California allows military corpsman to become RN's based on military experience and testing.

Here is one person that got a great career out of the military... not saying it is your path.

Only saying don't just discount the opportunities the military offers.
Anyone else you've come across in your life you haven't told us about yet?
Goodness

Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM

64 posts, read 351,638 times
What subjects in high school did you enjoy the most? What hobbies do you enjoy? Just settling for a job at a retailer or at a fast food place is a start, but you have not mentioned what the ideal job would be for you, and that is why you have lost focus. Have you applied at temporary employment agencies (can you type or do office work or use a computer?)? Have you asked friends/acquaintances about openings where they work? Even though you have no experience, have you prepared even a basic resume that shows your contact information (name, address and e-mail address) and where you went to high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment