Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM

15 posts, read 31,073 times

Advertisements

I don't generally chime in on these kinds of posts, but this one grabbed my attention. I realize that everyone is different and some teens have extracurriculars and other school related events that keep them from getting a job right away. However, those seem to generally be the teens that are excelling in school and are working towards scholarships along with other things to better themselves; their main focus is on schooling. Then there are those that work throughout school and pay their own way through life due to any multitude of circumstances. I have a VERY hard time sympathizing with the OP because if you really, truly, want a job, you make it happen. Borrow a lawn mower, cut one person's lawn and you have the twenty five bucks to pick up your own at a garage sale and freelance. Get a $5 shovel from the Habitat for Humanity and start shoveling walks. I just feel like even if you are not being hired by a company, but you actually want to work, you make your own way. It might not always pay very much, it might be hard work, but it IS do-able. I know this from experience. I have always wanted to work (which might not be the same for everyone), and I had my first company hired job as soon as I was legal in my state to work (Age 14). I then got a second job, worked all through high school, bought and paid off a car by the time I could drive, moved out to a university by myself at age 17, got hired within a week, got hired at a second job within a month, became a supervisor within 4 months, AND started my own business cleaning cars. I realize that that isn't for everyone, and that some need to focus more on their studies, but in no way, shape, or form would I potentially hire this candidate unless he had shown some initiative. Starting your own business actually looks pretty good on a resume because it shows that you have that drive and motivation to succeed. When I see someone that is 24 years old (I, myself, am 23), dropped out of college, has NEVER had a job in his whole life, and isn't very literate, that inspires no confidence. Whether I would be hiring for fast food or as a CEO, that tells me that the OP doesn't follow through with anything. Why would they show up to work?
I agree with most of the other posters. Stop complaining that you won't get hired, when it definitely is not in the manager's best interest to hire you. Show the initiative to succeed. Show some work ethic. Because six years after high school, never had a job, and not enrolled in college, isn't going to get you employed. If you are serious about a job, I know that most states have a placement company to help the unemployed find work, even if it is just temporary. I also agree with the posters that suggested the military, because it seems like you need discipline, work ethic, training, and boot camp. I wish you the best of luck. If you truly want to better yourself, I know that you can do it! But no one can do that for you. You have to help yourself.

Last edited by EssenceofAshley; 11-24-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
thats what i hate about hiring-managers, they don't want to take a risk, don't want to take a chance on somebody, you always have to assume that if a person is out of work for a long time or has little or no job experience by a certain-age, you see them as a flake, people can change you know, unfortuneately, the system won't change, thats why i hate capitalism sometimes, it's like, they reject people like that even if the person has no criminal record either, why do you have to assume the person is gonna smoke weed outside while gathering shopping-carts, and what if he doesn't and gets the job done in time? would you still fire him?
no, hiring managers are not in the business of speculation. they are in the business to make money. blaming it on the system is just a way to absolve yourself of responsibility for your own situation. the system did not tell you to stay home your whole life. there are plenty of things you can do- go to school, get a library book on writing a resume, gotten a job like, 8 years ago- but too many people are content with excuses and blaming "the system" for their woes. do people get messed over by the system? sure. but using that as an excuse to do nothing is pointless. are you gonna be an armchair complainer, or go out and change things for yourself? you have to take responsibility for your own actions. people come up from NOTHING all the time, if they work hard. if you want something bad enough, you find a way. but you have to leave the house.

and trust me, this is the same all over, whether you are in a communist country, a fascist dictatorship, or a capitalist society. people need to be convinced to hire you. that's what a resume is for. that's what presenting yourself cleanly and well dressed is for. nobody owes you a job.

if you haven't made the effort, who are you to blame it on anyone but yourself? don't you think that's a little childish?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
The OP has not been online since 11/22. My guess is the OP is a troll, or forgotten about this thread.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
24 years old and never had a job before in my life.

How does that happen? Like another person asked, what have you been doing all this time?
How about living her life?

Honestly, if could get away with it, I'd never work. Apparently, she was lucky enough to be able to.

The sad part? With two years of work, she'll be well on her way to living the life so many seem content with...but she'll have 6 years of her time with that...

Her type will be at the very same nursing home you all are going to end up at...but, she's playing it smart.

Last edited by dub dub II; 11-25-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yeah, young folks are infantilized well into adulthood these days. I know a guy from high school who is 28 freaking years old that still lives with his parents. Instead of making him get a job and get an apartment of his own, his parents just let him lay around and make no effort whatsoever to get him out of the house. They wash his clothes for him and cook for him every night. He hasn't worked a day in four years, and they allow him to live as a spoiled child. It's kind of bizarre.

My grandfather left home at 17 years of age and moved across the country, never looked back. My father joined the Army when he was 18 and moved to a different city for a job. It was a different world back then when young people were expected to act like ADULTS and take care of themselves. There's a reason why birds kick their young out of their nests at a certain age. It teaches them to fly on their own.

Coddle a kid forever and he'll never amount to anything. Our nation is full of 25-30 year old infants. It's pathetic.
Too many people live in the, "right this minute" and don't think nor plan ahead. What is going to happen to that 28 year old if something happens to the parents? What if that 28 year old turns in to a 35 year old, been laying around the house doing nothing all day long and then, suddenly, the parents are gone. What on earth does that person think they are going to do? They have no clue how much damage they are doing to themselves right now...but I'll bet they are giggling at everyone else, thinking they got it made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
thats what i hate about hiring-managers, they don't want to take a risk, don't want to take a chance on somebody, you always have to assume that if a person is out of work for a long time or has little or no job experience by a certain-age, you see them as a flake, people can change you know, unfortuneately, the system won't change, thats why i hate capitalism sometimes, it's like, they reject people like that even if the person has no criminal record either, why do you have to assume the person is gonna smoke weed outside while gathering shopping-carts, and what if he doesn't and gets the job done in time? would you still fire him?
Listen...I just hired two people to take care of my pets while I start this job I just got. The reason is, for awhile, I'm going to be away from my home for far too many hours a day and it's not fair to the dogs to keep them cooped up inside.

So I put up an ad. You would not believe how some people "apply" for a job. I asked specific questions in my ad and I would get one word answers or vague answers or NO answer at all to those questions.

I saw terrible grammar in these replies. I had people tell me why they wanted the job...it was all about them, money, money, money and still "able to live a comfy life", (as one applicant put it). Really? I am asking for someone to care for my dogs...my PETS, my beloved PETS and all the applicant wants to tell me is how they want to make money and live a comfy life? REALLY?!

Or they tell me, "I'd do good with dogs, promise" after mentioning they've never actually HAD a dog, EVER, in their life or had spent much time with dogs. Yah, see, this is an easy, low paying job but you bet your backside I want someone who has SOME KIND of experience with dogs!

Let me tell you who got the job: I hired two girls. The reason I hired them was because in their response to me, they showed me that they a) cared about dogs and would care about mine b) had experience with dogs and one even shared a photo of her dog.

When they came over, I showed them what to do, certain commands the dogs know, etc and then stood back and let them do it. What that did was prove they had experience. It also proved they really do like dogs.

Out of over 30 responses, those are the only two I even bothered to invite over. I'm not going to respond to you if you tell me, "Let me get back to you in a few days..." No. "I'd be good, promise." No. "I want to have a job to make money to pay my bills but still have a comfortable life"...NO! This isn't about you, this is about my dogs!

Put yourself in the employers' shoes just once! No, I'm not going to, "take a chance" on someone who shows no experience, no initiative, no drive, no real desire other than to, "make money". Of course we get jobs to make money but if I'm asking you to care for my pets, whom I happen to love very much, your reply goes in to the delete file immediately when you respond like that.

Now, imagine a big company going through applications...think how much THEY care about who they hire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
How about living her life?

Honestly, if could get away with it, I'd never work. Apparently, she was lucky enough to be able to.

The sad part? With two years of work, she'll be well on her way to living the life so many seem content with...but she'll have 6 years of her time with that...

Her type will be at the very same nursing home you all are going to end up at...but, she's playing it smart.
Doing absolutely nothing with your life is hardly what I would call, "playing it smart".

Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Doing absolutely nothing with your life is hardly what I would call, "playing it smart".
Doubt she was doing nothing...just nothing considered of value to most but her. And to her, that doesn't matter. Like I said, she'll be at the very same nursing home we all will end up at...she's just enjoying life in the meantime.

Though, I'm assuming.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Is this a tr*ll thread?

If you really have had no job....that is your misfortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendhanbb View Post
ok so i am 24 years old and i have never had a job before in my life. i am looking right now but no place is hireing me i am told its because after i hand in my application or resusme i do not call them back the next day and then repeat calling them back everyday untill i get the job or they say stop calling us you dont have the job. but honestly i do not know what to do because i am trying places like mcdonalds and even they wont hire me and i really really need a job badly and i have no idea how to get one since i have no money and if i go back to school it will just be a waste of time for me right now. i failed badly and i just dont know what to do. like how do i get a job at mcdonalds or walmart do i really have to call them up every day untill they say no and then move on to the next one. heck even dishwashers say oh u need exprence. well how am i supposed to get exprence.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm going to second this. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm being serious...if this is what your resume looks like, this is why you aren't getting hired. If you don't know proper punctuation or grammar, have someone help you write the resume so you can at least get your foot in the door.
It doesn't even take school.

Who feeds him? Could be a her I suppose but where does it get food to eat?

Something is really screwed up in this world. When I was 24 if I didn't work I would have starved to death and that would have been the end of that. In less than one month I would have been homeless and in two months living with nothing under a bridge somewhere.

Happened to me at 23. Mind you this was the early 70's, I had already served in the military (drafted) and this social safety net didn't exist. I found myself with all my belongings stranded in my totally out of gas Volkswagen bug in January in downtown Sacramento, California. On top of this I was sick, had tonsillitis real bad (eventually they had to come out) and I thought I was going to die. Not two cents, literally two cents, to my name.

Of course no job or marketable skills at the time.

But I made it, somehow I made it. How I did it I don't know but the thought of doing it again makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Like Gone with the Wind I swore to God I would never be broke and poor again. Sometimes a young man needs to hit rock bottom all on his own.

Whoever enabled the Opie should do the right thing and cut him loose now. Not just kick out mind you, this is every bit the enables fault as the Opie, but with plenty of heads up and help.

Some mentioned the military but I wonder if the Opie could pass the test or is physically fit enough to join seeing how they've spent the past six plus years holed away in their bedroom.

Where the hell were the parents? If it were my son some very tough love would have been in order years ago. Yeah, I would have kicked his ass out at 19 if he didn't go to school and didn't have a job with enough to pay me rent. I wouldn't have kept the rent money for myself, I would have saved it for him as a rainy day fund. wedding present or something later on when he grew up but he wouldn't have known it at the time.

Try the public library it isn't like the Opie doesn't have the time.

But self employment sounds like the best route for you to go as long as you understand you will make half the money you expect while working twice as hard. Living life takes effort.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Many jobs in the oil and gas industry such as pipeline technicians only require a high school diploma as well and those jobs pay extremely well also. However it is very tough/labor intensive work with long hours so it is not for everybody.
That job market is already busting... check out the ND and SD forums

Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
I don't think the OP was a troll, but got scared to proceed on this forum when asked what he had been doing for the past six years since high school. That was like five pages ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment