Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

What were your internships in?
What is your statistical software and other programming capabilities?

Most math undergrad only majors I know are doing rather well, even from smaller liberal arts schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

when manufacturing was big in the US, there were lots of people saying they did not need a degree to make money. Those jobs are now gone.
Doh! I wonder what happened to all of those jobs? Why is the country $17T in debt?

We let the federal government have too much power. Just more proof that government is not the solution, it's the problem.

What would the average person pay $100 hour to do for you? Think about that - you are shelling out $100 hour of your own money...for what? I would put surgeon at the top of that list but what else can a single individual do for you to warrant that fee?

Just curious.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,116,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I graduated 10 months ago (as I already mentioned in this thread) and I did not get a lucrative degree (as I already mentioned in this thread).
You have a lucrative degree. You just spent more hours on the internet and watching tv than in practice interviews.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 PM

170 posts, read 373,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What were your internships in?
What is your statistical software and other programming capabilities?

Most math undergrad only majors I know are doing rather well, even from smaller liberal arts schools.
I never did an internship with a company, but I did work on a research project for my university. I have no good programming experience involving a full-scale software development project, but I have the classic programming concepts down to a tee (stuff like compressing text files, making your own implementation of a queue in your favorite language, etc.).

Old 12-16-2013, 06:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
That might be true, but I have higher aspirations than most people. I would consider myself an underachiever if the best job I could get out of college was a Sales Representative. I'm a smart guy. I have good logical-mathematical ability. Right now I'm trying to write a plagiarism detection program that uses a lot of advanced mathematical concepts.
And yet you don't know how to find a job. Put your energy into doing that if you are so smart. Stop making excuses.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You have a lucrative degree.
Then you'd think that companies would be calling me out of the blue, wouldn't you? That's what happened to my buddy who got an EE degree from my same university. He didn't even have to send out a resume. Companies started phoning him out of the blue.

Trust me, a bachelor degree in Math is not "lucrative." At my university it was usually a backup plan for people trying to get into competitive majors such as Computer Science. In my case, I chose it because I was completely clueless about what I wanted to do, and it seemed like a safe, generalist major. I should've taken into consideration the fact that it gives you zero marketable skills.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Then you'd think that companies would be calling me out of the blue, wouldn't you? That's what happened to my buddy who got an EE degree from my same university. He didn't even have to send out a resume. Companies started phoning him out of the blue.

Trust me, a bachelor degree in Math is not "lucrative." At my university it was usually a backup plan for people trying to get into competitive majors such as Computer Science. In my case, I chose it because I was completely clueless about what I wanted to do, and it seemed like a safe, generalist major. I should've taken into consideration the fact that it gives you zero marketable skills.
If you spend as many hours on practice interviews as you do on the 'net and TV, I guarantee that you will have a job.

It's not going to happen though. You rather waste hours on here.

How many hours a day do you spend on the 'net? How much is spent on tv? How many hours a day do you spend practice interviewing?

Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
I never did an internship with a company, but I did work on a research project for my university.

Well, this hurts, unless you wanted to go into academic research.

Most math majors I know work in programming or at think tanks or universities in statistical analysis, or in the energy sector. One anomaly has a full time lucrative job tutoring people for the GMAT. Interestingly, none of them have masters, which is rare nowadays.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
How many hours a day do you spend on the 'net? How much is spent on tv? How many hours a day do you spend practice interviewing?
My problem is not my interviewing skills. My problem is that my background is not carved out specifically for any type of real-world job, and I don't know how to improve my background now that I'm already graduated and thus unable to get an internship. Companies want to know, "How much experience do you have with X?", and they will laugh at you if your "experience" consists of doing practice problems from a tutorial you found online in an attempt to try and justify putting X on the Skills section of your resume.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
My problem is not my interviewing skills. My problem is that my background is not carved out specifically for any type of real-world job, and I don't know how to improve my background now that I'm already graduated and thus unable to get an internship. Companies want to know, "How much experience do you have with X?", and they will laugh at you if your "experience" consists of doing practice problems from a tutorial you found online in an attempt to try and justify putting X on the Skills section of your resume.
That's just your reasoning to make yourself feel better as you surf the web instead of working on the interviewing skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment