Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 10:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
As a general rule as a manager for nearly 20 years, I have observed that if people miss a day in their first 90 days, they ultimately won't make it. It may be unfair, but that's life in a work environment where there are hundreds of people looking to take your job. This is true almost every time, but there a re a few exceptions. I'd say the OP needs to make one hell of an impression when he returns as the odds of him staying employed are against him now.
Such BS, I swear people just think of idiotic things to say just to say it.

If this is even true, you must truly be psychotic along with your company. Please tell me your company is not a corp and I have shares in it, as I would be thoroughly irked to know a company is dismissing talent on the basis they got sick and missed a day within 90 days of getting employed.

Also, what psychopath starts an entire req fill again because they terminated someone for being sick within 90 days of being employed?

The OP does not need to make any unique impression, he just needs to do what he was hired to do.

I think some posters here just make up BS to sound "hard-core" or what it they think it "ought" to be; very detached from the reality of what it really is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The reality is, you call in sick on your fourth day of work, you are done by the 90th day. In 90% of the jobs out there. Employers don't care about you, they want a warm body to show up.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
This is what I have to do. I have a nasty case of the flu and fever. Coughing every 10 seconds. How bad does this look to my employer? I can't remember the last time I called in sick but this is just my 4th day. I would absolutely be putting everyone I work with at risk. I figure that, since I am training, it really doesn't hurt them that I miss today. What do ya think?
At AT&T and the other phone companies, you go on probation if you are absent so soon. If you're in training you can be let go. You don't get "sick days". You get paid when you are sick until you take advantage of it then you go on a "attendance program". But in the beginning if you're new you CAN be let go QUICKLY.

So I'd go IN. Of course, absence should have been reviewed when you got hired. IF not, they're probably not that strict about it.

But I'd still go IN to prove I was sick.

At the phone company there is NO DOUBT I would go it. Their rules. Not my problem if everyone else gets sick because I'm following company rules.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
It's not the end of the world if you're really that sick and can't make it into work. Stuff happens. Try your best to go above and beyond expectations to show your employer that you're a good worker, and that calling out sick so soon was just an unfortunate one off situation beyond your control.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Where I work, if you miss one day of training, you can't work anyway. I think they tell you to come back for the next new employee orientation, in a month. And they pay you out for the days you worked, and change your start date for another month...and they let you know your supervisor will contact you with ....more information...meaning, good luck!

Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Quote:
Looks like all is well. Went back to work this morning and everyone was nice to me and nobody said a word about me missing a day. Now I just can't miss another one!

I'd be very careful.

Also if you were okay enough to sit up at your computer and post threads on an internet forum, you were okay enough to go to work. Unless your line of work is heavy labor or something. Just sayin'.

I understand things happen, but unless you're bedridden? Don't try to make excuses for not at least trying to go in, especially when you had Friday off. That looks even worse, because it looks like you're giving yourself a free "weekend" as revenge for having to work a Saturday.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I'd be very careful.

Also if you were okay enough to sit up at your computer and post threads on an internet forum, you were okay enough to go to work. Unless your line of work is heavy labor or something. Just sayin'.

I understand things happen, but unless you're bedridden? Don't try to make excuses for not at least trying to go in, especially when you had Friday off. That looks even worse, because it looks like you're giving yourself a free "weekend" as revenge for having to work a Saturday.
I would assume it'd be more much more practical to be on his computer at home, possibly with a garbage can nearby and a bathroom just a few feet away, than to be at a desk at work, where others would most likely object to a coworker's presence while he's vomiting and running to the bathroom every half-hour with bouts of diarrhea. If you had him as a coworker doing that you'd probably be on C-D b*tching about your crazy, selfish coworker who came into work sick as a dog

Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Doesn't bother me, what I hate is idiots that come to work with the flu and get everyone else sick.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
a persons immune system does not know the person just started a job. your immune system does not know the difference between a Monday and a Thursday.

really, !!! people are so uptight about taking a freaking day off.

if your sick your sick, jeez.........

I hate this work crap when people say:"oh, it doesn't look good". Look good for what? the boss?, please, spare me.......if your sick your sick, it happens.

yeah, so come to work infect everyone else and call it a day, thank you.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
I am the OP. I was a manager for the last 15 years and I don't agree with your 90 day assessment. As a manager, someone calling in during their first 90 days might **** me off but I wouldn't fire until their was a pattern. .
I actually didnt say i would fire them, just that they wouldn't work out. I wouldn't need to fire them as they always just sort of worked themselves out of a job. are there exception? of course, but it is a leading indicator of problems in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment